Would you say the Type R is not a good daily driver?

Rayzorman1

I bleed Honda red.......
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport Touring Hatchback, 2019 Type R. 2021 CRV Black Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
what i mean is the reasons he mentioned are things you can change to a less aggressive part.
you can choose a less aggressive compound for brake pads, and just buy some cheap 18s and get a longer lasting 18" tire if that's what you want.

I can understand if it was the fuel economy or a simple drivetrain issue (fwd), as things like that can not be changed.
I just got mine and plan to DD it. Bought the wheel and tire warranty and snows the winter. Just had it under coated and rust proofed.

Giverrrr
Sponsored

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
he's right about the tires and wheels if you have crappy roads. Wrong about everything else. You can upsize to 255/35 profile if you are on a budget when it comes to tires, or buy something like the Falken FK510 tires if you want to stick with stock size on a budget.

Brakes? Last i checked STIs also used Brembos too..so not sure what he's on about that.

Running basically stock everything except for mudflaps and just broke 20k miles on my 2018. Been absolutely fine as a DD.

What the CTR has over the STI as a DD:
1. Way more cargo space, the most out of any hot hatch available in the US.
2. Significantly better MPG
3. Better interior
4. Better infotainment
5. adjustable dampening via drive modes.

edit: just re-read OP's post, i guess the Type R owner never recommended STIs. OPs decision to look at them. yeah, they're hardly better DDs.

but coming as a Type R owner who DDs the car, it's fine.

Last edited:

DPE

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
As a 44 year old who only occasionally uses mine for DD duties, I'd say it's fine once you swap out wheels and tires. I'm on 19s with 255/35s, and that's working well for me. And I didn't even take issue with the ride of the 20s, it's the (reasonable) fear of damage that's the problem. And tire wear too, especially if you drive with any enthusiasm. Some say that's bogus and the OEM 20s are stout etc. And for some I'm sure they do work fine. But for many they don't, and that would be my only real concern for DD duty.

If you want the ultimate DD hot hatch, that's almost certainly the Golf R as it's just a 'nicer' car in so many ways for DD duty. But assuming we are just talking about the CTR, I have zero issues with the clutch, seats, brakes, etc. It's a little loud, relatively speaking, but it's hardly offensive. Performance brake pads dust and squeak a bit. This doesn't bother me as I drove around on track pads (dust and squeak a LOT) in previous cars that were much worse. Fuel economy is either crappy by econobox hatchback standards or great by performance car standards. Just depends on what angle you take.

As you can see from the thread, it's all relative. If you want a luxury cocoon, this isn't it. If you want a practical hatchback that compromises a bit of comfort and noise for performance while still being perfectly tolerable to the average person, and you can swing another set of wheels and tires in the near term, I'd say go for it.

23Red

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 FK8, '06 AP2
Country flag
If brakes are a concern just swap the pads out for a set of ceramics. Low/no dust and noise and if you plan on tracking it just pop the OEMs back in.

darrvao777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CW CTR, '18 G550
Country flag
i daily mine completely stock

no problems at all

i used to daily a hellcat and find the CTR to be more fun and engaging (with the exception of one highway merge ramp where i could really tap into the hellcat engine)

ShaneP865

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Aegean Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It is my daily driver and I have no complaints whatsoever! Why buy something and keep it locked up in a garage? Are you saving it for someone else to have fun with?

ucf_bronco

First Name
Richie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Perfect DD for me, coming from a 2010 Acura TL 6MT. Two cars seats in the rear and still plenty of room (my girls LOVE the CTR too). Plenty of cargo space or we take wife's SUV if we need more. Storage space and locations are awesome. I'm not constantly getting in and out so I love the seats. Clutch is light and shifts are smooth. Infotainment is a huge step up from my TL and I really like it, no complaints at all. Smooth roads where I live and I'll just suck it up with $$$ on tires, changing to Michelin's next. MPG is better than my old car and I'm definitely on the gas more now.

I'm only about 5 months in (6.5k miles) but it's all smiles so far. I look forward to every drive. My old car was no slouch and there weren't many 4 door MT options out there that I comfortably buy. This checks all the boxes IMO.

yargk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R, '16 GT4, '19 GSW 4motion 6mt
Country flag
I actually got talked out of getting a Type R early this year by a Type R owner saying that he wouldn't recommend the car as a daily due to the tires, wheels, and brakes.
Anyway, I took his advice and looked at Subaru WRX's and STi's, but ended up with a Si due to reading about poor reliability with Subaru.
That being said, there is a new Type R at a local dealer and I'm real tempted.
That's ridiculous. For me, out of a Forester, wrx, bmw 325is, and golf sportwagen, the type r is the best daily driver. A set of 18 inch wheels isn't expensive and I have 20k miles on Michelin ps4s tires that are only half worn on my 18s. The brakes are fantastic, have plenty of life left and only squeal enough to tell you that they are actually performance brakes.

The car is quieter than my old wrx, has a ride as comfortable as a golf, and out handles almost anything on the road.

FifStreet

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 PMM Civic Type R '07 MR Fit Sport (RIP)
Country flag
I DD drive mine and here are my thoughts.

Tires/wheels - if you aren't planning on tracking your car, you can get away with replacing the tires with an AS in a slightly taller size. If you are planning on tracking, budget for a second set of wheels and tires.

Brakes- yes they squeal and they are dusty. meh.

Attention - If you don't like strangers coming up to you to talk about your car when you are running errands, then this car isn't for you.

Seats - They are the most comfortable seats I've ever had in a car. but if you get in and out of your car multiple times in short succession, the lower side bolsters will get annoying.

Fuel and economy- you will be spending more money in fuel than an Si. There's no way around this. I average 26 mpg.

safety/convenience features - Make sure you review the list of things that this car doesn't have compared to an Si.

Otherwise, this is a fine daily. I've loaded it up with cinder blocks from home depot. I Commute back and forth to work 30 miles each way. Grocery trips to Walmart. Its perfectly comfortable and well behaved on long road trips. Rear seat room is fine for (2) passengers. No regrets.

Deleted member 31314

I would agree it makes a great daily, as long as you accept it for what it is.

GraphiteAZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
I actually got talked out of getting a Type R early this year by a Type R owner saying that he wouldn't recommend the car as a daily due to the tires, wheels, and brakes.
Anyway, I took his advice and looked at Subaru WRX's and STi's, but ended up with a Si due to reading about poor reliability with Subaru.
It's great.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Type R is my DD. Wheels and tires I can kind of see, but I had no issues doing the DD thing with the OEM wheels and tires, though they weren't ideal. You get much better tire selection (and cheaper prices) if you downsize to an 18 (and make the car much more comfortable). For the brakes, it does not become an issue if you're a little harder on the brakes than normal as I have to give about 150-200 PSI of brake pressure and it never squeals which is just a tad bit more than light braking. I've also noticed that my brakes don't squeal as much with the new 18" wheels I have, I'm assuming it's just a coincidence, but it may not be.

The only major downside I see for DD is the gas mileage and the fact that you want to put premium in it.

Mick the Quick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Civic Type R (R-08508)
Country flag
I have daily driven my CTR for 33,000 miles over 22 months. It’s a perfect daily driver for a true car enthusiast, in my opinion. I did downsize my wheels to 18” and got PS4S. Rides very comfortably even though I never take the car out of the Sport mode. The car’s reasonably quiet cruising on a highway — more or less like a regular Civic. Overall, it’s very civilized and comfortable. I get about 25 mpg for 65/35 highway/city driving split. Not too shabby for a car with this much performance.

The squeaking OEM brakes drove me bonkers, though. I had to install Hawk HB453F.585 HPS High Performance Street Ferro-Carbon Disc Brake Pads, and the brakes have not made any noise since and they have plenty of stopping power in everyday application. The Hawk brake pads will let you save the OEM Brembos for the track!

As for the winter, just slap on good snow tires and this front-wheel drive car would just do fine in just about any place. I have driven through 2 full New England winters, and have not come close to getting stuck or having white knuckles. Yes, if you live in a very snowy locale and need to drive up a steep hill . . . . then you need an AWD. Otherwise, you are probably fine.

Like I said, it’s the best daily driver ever for a true enthusiast.

MediaMaster

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CTR, 2024 Ford Maverick
Country flag
As a 44 year old who only occasionally uses mine for DD duties, I'd say it's fine once you swap out wheels and tires. I'm on 19s with 255/35s, and that's working well for me. And I didn't even take issue with the ride of the 20s, it's the (reasonable) fear of damage that's the problem. And tire wear too, especially if you drive with any enthusiasm. Some say that's bogus and the OEM 20s are stout etc. And for some I'm sure they do work fine. But for many they don't, and that would be my only real concern for DD duty.

If you want the ultimate DD hot hatch, that's almost certainly the Golf R as it's just a 'nicer' car in so many ways for DD duty. But assuming we are just talking about the CTR, I have zero issues with the clutch, seats, brakes, etc. It's a little loud, relatively speaking, but it's hardly offensive. Performance brake pads dust and squeak a bit. This doesn't bother me as I drove around on track pads (dust and squeak a LOT) in previous cars that were much worse. Fuel economy is either crappy by econobox hatchback standards or great by performance car standards. Just depends on what angle you take.

As you can see from the thread, it's all relative. If you want a luxury cocoon, this isn't it. If you want a practical hatchback that compromises a bit of comfort and noise for performance while still being perfectly tolerable to the average person, and you can swing another set of wheels and tires in the near term, I'd say go for it.
DPE: Could you tell me your tire and wheel specifics and whether you feel there are any handling driving differences? I am buying a 2020 CTR and will be buying a set of 19" wheels from the NSX (4 fronts 19/8.5/55). Trying to figure out if I go with the 245/35 or 255/35 tires. I want to try and match as close as possible, the stock handling while giving myself a small amount of peace of mind tire/wheel protection. Not as concerned about speedometer differences as much as driving/handling.

Been trying to study and learn scrub radius, and suspension geometry to help myself decide. Never too old to learn. But I do also like to learn from others and their experiences.

Thank you

DPE

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
MediaMaster, I've got the Motegi MR924s; Tirerack exclusive wheel, and Type R specific fitment (hubcentric). And Pretty cheap. They are 19x8.5, ET53. So very close to NSX fronts. Hard to compare handling because I changed to Yokohama V601s (their brand new Max Performance tire), which don't have quite as much grip overall as the Continentals. However, the car feels great; the sidewalls on the Yokos are stiffer and the tire feels more direct, and they seem to communicate better. Easy tire to drive fast and they feel good doing it. Ride is improved as well, as you'd expect with a taller sidewall (even though the sidewall itself reacts more quickly and doesn't roll over as much). As for sizes, the 245/35 is essentially dead on stock, while 255/35 is just a shade less than 1% taller. I figured a little extra tread width and a slightly taller sidewall couldn't hurt; the car is geared pretty low, so erring toward taller isn't a bad thing though it's so little as to not make any difference. GPS vs. Speedo is either dead on or 1mph off at highway speeds, same as it was on the OEM tires.

Some argue that a 255/35 is too wide for an 8.5" wheel, but it's within spec for the tires and obviously it works as I'm driving around on them. It looks 'right' too, in the sense of it not being either stretched or stuffed on the wheel. The argument generally goes that you want the tire more stretched so the sidewall doesn't have to go as far when cornering leading to a more direct feeling and perhaps a better contact patch, but in 25 years of cocking about with cars I've typically maxed out tire width for a given wheel and have never felt it was a negative. RX-8s were a good example; came with 225/45/18s on 18x8s, and a bunch of us ended up on 245/40/18s. Max width for an 8" wheel, but we all went faster around the track and the cars felt fantastic. Also, see the OEM Contis after a track day with an aggressive driver; you end up cornering ON the sidewalls which doesn't seem optimal.

Point being, don't stress the scrub radius and geometry stuff too much. I know your pain on that, but ultimately the car felt great stock and still feels great now. I'd say you're way more likely to feel differences in tires than you are a few mm of scrub radius.
Sponsored