Would you have still gotten your Type R if it had paddle shifters?

onions

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR 992
Country flag
Just curious how others feel about this. I had a friend buy a car recently and was rather excited about getting paddle shifters. I tried driving a car once with those and just did not like it. At. All. And I was thinking if the Type R came with paddles, it probably would have been a deal breaker for me and I'd be couple hundred bucks a month richer for it lol

When I first learned that it was all manual all the time, it made me want it all that much more.

So what about you?
Sponsored

MonkeyConQueso

First Name
Armand
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR
Country flag
If the transmission was a fantastic feeling and responsive double-clutch transmission, I would have likely still been tempted. Otherwise... Nope. Uh-uh. Flappy paddles aren't all that great if they don't feel super responsive.

Last edited:

yargk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R, '16 GT4, '19 GSW 4motion 6mt
Country flag
No interest if paddle shift only. And the CTR is for daily driving in traffic for me.

Last edited:

swah_fk7

Regamaster King
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe, 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just curious how others feel about this. I had a friend buy a car recently and was rather excited about getting paddle shifters. I tried driving a car once with those and just did not like it. At. All. And I was thinking if the Type R came with paddles, it probably would have been a deal breaker for me and I'd be couple hundred bucks a month richer for it lol

When I first learned that it was all manual all the time, it made me want it all that much more.

So what about you?
If it would be similar to the R35 transmission, which felt very similar to a lot of Lamborghini's then HELL Yes.
They have a little bit of slip before it grips under light throttle and feel very similar to a manual's clutch engagement. Love Double clutch transmission when they're built good.

bobafettm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Lotus Exige; 2018 & 2021 Honda Type R
Country flag
100%

Probably would have made me pay over ADM to get it immediately... rather have clutchless for daily duty but feel that the Golf R is a hideous monstrosity of boringness.

drtye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FA5 FK8
Country flag
If it would be similar to the R35 transmission, which felt very similar to a lot of Lamborghini's then HELL Yes.
They have a little bit of slip before it grips under light throttle and feel very similar to a manual's clutch engagement. Love Double clutch transmission when they're built good.
Is that the dual clutch that porche uses like pdk or some sort of letters? They are nice but eh, I'm a purist at heart and almost demand a manual only

swah_fk7

Regamaster King
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe, 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Is that the dual clutch that porche uses like pdk or some sort of letters? They are nice but eh, I'm a purist at heart and almost demand a manual only
I said the same thing until I was taken for a ride in a 1200HP AMS Tuned GTR. Can't shift better than a computer.

.grimace

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda CTR, 2022 Range Rover , 1990 CRX SI
Country flag
If it was auto only I’d of gone golf r or a completely different car like a 911 gts

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
No. If it was an auto/dct I would’ve bought another car. Maybe the focus rs or sti or just not buy one till a good stick shift car comes out.

remc86007

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
It would depend for me. Aren't double clutch transmissions significantly heavier than manuals? Do they create more drivetrain power loss?

Muggsy

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R, 2020 Lexus UX250h, 2012 Toyota Sienna
Country flag
DCT is definitely faster than humans, but I like the manual because it's fun. My last car (Audi S4) had DCT and I never used the paddles. This car keeps me more engaged, which is a good thing.

BlackCTR

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Never.

Manual or nothing. And that applies to any car except the 1 my wife drives. All my cars are manuals.

Night Fury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Type R
Country flag
I came from a car with DSG “Paddle shifter” and the reason I got the CTR was because it was manual.
Don’t get me wrong, the DSG it has stupid quick shifting and will smoke us without hesitation, specially if the car is tuned, but unless you’re always concerned to be the quickest, you don’t have that organic feeling of a car with manual transmission.
It is not to be one with the car, but when you know how to play guitar, it is an excersise.
Besides, unless Honda uses the same Borg Wagner transmission, I wouldn’t trade the manual yet. DSG & PDK are the names given in the VW, Audi, Porsche world.
You got the DCT from BMW but less dramatic and they lack the the sound from the VW group. That burping shifting noise (ignition cut). The GT-R uses a Borg Wagner too.