Would You Have Preferred a Sunroof-less Si?

Moser1M

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PW Si Sedan (fun/DD); 2004 Tundra Limited (fun tow rig)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I personally enjoy it.

From a manufacturing side, in order to help keep things lean, I’m guessing Honda tried to reduce the amount of vehicle combinations that would be needed to be assembled. The population of other civic trims that have a sunroof sold versus no sunroof trims is greater I have to guess. This means if the Si would share this part (roof of unibody before welding) then they could get a volume piece price discount plus potentially save on buying tooling. Plus I would think the general public sees a sunroof as a “luxury” item, so this helps the apparent value of the Si’s features.
Sponsored

Yonder

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I feel most peeps are in this boat of... I like that its there but if it wasnt, i wouldnt mind that either.
then again not that tall so i could see how that could have been a better option. Although as far as im concerned, im pretty tall people almost always have a problem with sports cars since they are usually smaller and nimble for performance purposes.

ne0guri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Orchid Pearl Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I rarely use mine but I’m happy to at least have that option if I wanted

tfc_eddie

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R, 2018 Civic Si ?SOLD?
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Someone has probably said it already but it’s actually called a moonroof.
You can’t open a sunroof. If the Si had a sunroof I would give it a hard pass. But since it has a moonroof I’ll take it any day! I use mine every day but then again I’m 5’8” and live in SoCal :)
Wish the type r had a moonroof tho I find them so sexy when they are tilted and hard parked!

repeet

Threads
Reaction score
Website
jesus7feasts.fyi
Vehicle(s)
'23 BRZ
Country flag
Wow, yes make his a pole.

I can see that the track guys don't like the hole in the roof, and the added weight. I get that. On the other hand, the daily drivers either love it, or don't care one way or the other.

Me, I love my sunroof. I've only had three cars I could "open the roof" on. Summer nights are awesome. As well as driving in the fall admiring the leaves through an open moonroof.

healtoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si HFP
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Love my sunroof. I use it all the time. I could care less about 50lbs of weight reduction as I’m not racing/tracking the car. I would have probably paid for it too if were not a standard feature.

atomicpunk2009

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic si sedan, 2012 GT500 convertible, 2012 F150 5.0
Country flag
I'm like a leaf on the wind.

I definitely like having the sunroof. I open or tilt it nearly every time I drive. Even if I don't open it, I slide open the interior cover to get extra light and have a more spacious airy feeling in the cabin.

Even if the Si didn't come with a sunroof to save 50 pounds, I'd have bought the car and I'd be happy for the reduced weight and extra headroom so tall passengers would fit without hitting the headliner.
Nice Firefly reference

jokacz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 Mini Cooper S, 19 SI Coupe
Country flag
I could live without the moonroof, on sunny days I close the shade, too much heat and glare. BTW a moonroof is a sunroof made of glass or plexiglass that is transparent. A sunroof is the same thing only made of steel/aluminum/metal in general. We got the the worst alternative as far as weight goes, heavier than steel. Really gung ho Mini Cooper enthusiasts seek out the rare sun roof less versions "smooth tops" for their lower weight and extra head room.

todda

2018 Aegean blue CTR 14103
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean blue Type R; 2011 Subaru WRX limited; 2003 Acura RSX-S were previous vehicles
Country flag
Honda doesn't give Si buyers a choice in whether or not they get a sunroof/moonroof (if anyone wants to explain the difference between the two terms to me, feel free), we all get one whether we want it or not. So I am just curious to know if people generally agree with Honda's decision to install one on all Si civics. It's clear that they tried to save weight/money in some areas, like having manually adjustable seats and non-hydraulic hood supports, but must have figured that Si buyers would all be willing to take on a little extra weight to have the luxury of getting some vitamin D while driving around.
It is funny in that I used my moonroof pretty much everyday over the last 15 yr in my last 2 cars, an acura rsx-s and a subaru WRX..my type R does not have one and I do not miss it at all. If I miss it it is driving with it open at night with the cool air coming in or just the light coming into the car.

longthaitran91

Suiton20
First Name
Long
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 honda civic si
Country flag
I like the sunroof. It makes the si feel a little bit more special. It’s like having the ex-l model minus the leather and navigation. A lot cheaper than it too

Bluecoupe777

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Even though I don't use the sunroof much at all, I am glad these cars do come with one.

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK7 6MT, 2018 FK7 CVT, 2022 Odyssey EXL
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm tall but not that tall. (6'2") and I can't sit in any civic Coupe with a sunroof. Seat all the way down, my head still rubs the ceiling. The only coupe I could possibly own would be one w/ no sunroof, so sadly no SI coupe for me. :( I love my Hatch Sport though so it's all good.

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
In AZ, there are a lot of days where it would be suicide to have another opportunity for the sun to hit you. That said, by tilting the moon/sun-roof and sliding the roof panel just a wee bit,
it allows hot air to escape while parked, without letting in more sun. If I do this and crack the windows a touch, it reduces the cabin from scalding hot to merely very hot while parked. Still best to approach the shift knob and wheel with caution.

But would I take the weight savings? Heck yeah.

I am fine with manual seat adjustments, having had power seats break in the past, I consider it a plus.
But a real spare tire would have been reassuring. A can of sealant is useless if the tire is really torn up.
And hood struts, while another item that eventually fails, are okay. Take them or leave them

But the main thing is the weight savings.
Not sure how much weight the roof system actually adds though. 50 lbs sounds like a lot.
Does anyone have an A/B comparison on a Honda model that offers both?
Sponsored