Would you go FBO SI or down payment on type R ?

natethegreat

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R / Ap1 S2000
Country flag
From people who have driven or owned both which is the smarter move ? A used type R yields a monthly payment of only 100$ more than what I'm currently paying for the SI. Would you rather go FBO with an SI or use that money for a down payment on a used type R. They can be found for the low 30's now which seems like a good deal for what you get. It would be my daily.
Sponsored

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
If your Si is stock and it makes financial sense (not carrying a ton of negative equity and long finance periods) I would just get the R.

FBO Si is gonna cost you several grand and you'll be between 290 and 350 whp depending if you run flex fuel. And there are always headaches in the process.

The R will give you OE reliability with 300hp out of the box and the better suspension etc. Along with it. A couple bolt ons and a tune you'll be over 350 hp no sweat if that's really what you need.

FK7_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan, 2015 Acura MDX Elite
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Si if gas mileage, cheaper insurance and cheaper maintenance are priorities. Type R is the better bet if you just want more power. Si is great for what it is a cheap reliable daily that is still fun but at the end of the day it’ll never match what a type R can do reliably.

Trevor_Brown

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si / 2021 Civic Type R
Country flag
So back in 2018 I wanted a Type R but didn’t want to spend the money for one as the Si I could lease and pay much less monthly than the Type R (obviously). I wanted to prove to myself that I made the better choice getting the Si. So I put 3-4k (just into power adders) into the Si in order to keep up with an R in a straight line. The car was and currently is FBO outside of charge pipes with 27won W1 turbo on the fbo w1 ktuner basemap. My fiancé took over the lease payments on my Si and I got an Infiniti Q50. Long story short, I hated it. 9 months later I sold my Q50 and bought a Type R. The first 5 minutes of driving the car home from the dealer, I realized the difference between the 2. I’ve racing my fiancé’s Si vs my car bone stock, and they ran neck and neck (regardless of driver) until about 90mph when the R starts to pull ahead. I won’t get all of my money back from the mods done to the Si when she’s done with it. The second I bought the Type R. I regretted not forking over the cash and getting one from the start. The insurance between the 2 is the exact same down to the dollar. The only thing I miss on the Si is the sweet sweet gas mileage.

Slow_FC1

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si
Country flag
I bought an Si because I dont care about being faster than another civic. I personally think the Type R is ugly as hell and I'm not spending 40K+ on a honda civic. Other than that the R is a great car, I don't regret my 2020 Si though, for the price you can't beat it.

Trevor_Brown

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si / 2021 Civic Type R
Country flag
I bought an Si because I dont care about being faster than another civic. I personally think the Type R is ugly as hell and I'm not spending 40K+ on a honda civic. Other than that the R is a great car, I don't regret my 2020 Si though, for the price you can't beat it.
My exact thoughts when they came out ? I guess it grew on me. 10th gen Si is imo by far the best bang for buck car under 30k though. It does just about everything flawlessly which is why I bought one in the first place.

NHCivicGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 R
Country flag
Was in this exact spot. I ended up selling my 2020 Si with 16k miles for $27k. I made $4.5k on that sale. I put that towards basically MSRP on a new 2021 R after 65+ calls/emails.

Do I miss the lower payment and that Aegean Blue? Yes. Do I regret anything so far? No. The R will holds its value very well in the years to come, not that the Si wouldn’t have. I definitely don’t think paying $27k+ for a used Si is worth it and neither is paying thousands over MSRP for an R. If you can score one for MSRP or a smidge over, I think it’s definitely worth it. I can’t believe how well they knocked the R out of the park, even compared to the Si.

For 2 years I said I’d never get the R, it wasn’t worth it for me being my sole daily driver. But now owning one, I think it’s amazing and it puts a smile on my face every time I drive it.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
If you like the somewhat over the top R styling and you can handle the $100 a month difference, 100% the Type R.

MaoFC3

First Name
V
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I’ve slowly been adding mods to my si and right now it’s fbo minus the turbo/inlet pipe, I think of it as my car would be just as fast as the R(stock) if i spent the right amount of money I did up all the adding and id be at 32,000ish if i were to add the car and the bolt ons together including turbo/tune etc. I chose to stay with the si cause I loved the coupe styling

TLDR: do it right the first time and get the R ?

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
If you like the somewhat over the top R styling and you can handle the $100 a month difference, 100% the Type R.
-Worse gas milage
-More expensive consumable performance parts
-Less parts shared with the other civics
-Greater likelihood of getting speeding tickets
-More expensive insurance/registration

There is more cost to owning a type R and driving it than just your monthly financed payment

NHCivicGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 R
Country flag
-Worse gas milage

There is more cost to owning a type R and driving it than just your monthly financed payment
Just wanted to chime in and say my insurance rate dropped 20% going from the Si to the R. Valid points on everything else tho.

jdm_mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 FK8 CTR & More
Country flag
Just wanted to chime in and say my insurance rate dropped 20% going from the Si to the R. Valid points on everything else tho.
Damn my insurance went up for the R LOL. I kept it for 2 months then ditched it but now my new car's insurance is higher than the R and Si ....

NHCivicGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 R
Country flag
Damn my insurance went up for the R LOL. I kept it for 2 months then ditched it but now my new car's insurance is higher than the R and Si ....
A Supra will do that to ya lol. The insurance companies just see the R as a good ol Hatchback.

Torontoguyfk8

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R fk8
Country flag
-Worse gas milage

I'm not so sure about the speeding ticket thing. I always used to think that having cars like these you'll get pulled over all the time, but I don't ever get pulled over.
Sponsored