CTSteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
Silly, as a daily driver the vehicle is great as delivered. Not sure what the advantage would be for any use.

MrTuckers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Type R, 08 CRV, 06 Oddy, 14 Accord 9th Gen V6
Country flag
I think it's a great idea- if your engine bay catches on fire electrically or by other causes, you'll quickly see the fire before you see the smoke. ?

sohcanddohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CTR, 19 RDX ASPEC, 13 FR-S, 05 PTGT
Country flag
I had a Grip Tunning hood on my SRT-4 for years. It was a neat piece, you just didnā€™t want to get caught in a downpour with it. It let all the heat out...

Honda Civic 10th gen Would you do this to your Type -R? DC172848-949D-4909-878E-21B49DFC37F7

Last edited:

frostink

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR (Championship White), 1996 Civic DX Hatch, 1995 Nissan 240sx
Country flag
Damn, throwback to HIN and all the car shows from the late 90s, early 2000s...

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thought about it, but as Randy on American Idol used to say, it's a no for me dog.
For a show car with engine mods, for sure. For a daily driver, nah. Spouse agrees, not feeling it.
Functionally, a nonstarter. Don't we have enough issues with heat soak, etc. on the stock setup? In the AZ desert, your FK8 would have a much shorter life expectancy with that engine cover. Clear engine covers work real well - on an Audi R8 or Ferrari...not so much here. Even though I like our FK8 rides better than either of those examples.

todda

2018 Aegean blue CTR 14103
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean blue Type R; 2011 Subaru WRX limited; 2003 Acura RSX-S were previous vehicles
Country flag
That is cheesy--sorry but this is not a Ferrari 458 or Audi R8.

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic HB ST, '18 Civic HB EX, '04 Ford Ranger
Country flag
If I did, I'd do a lot more decorating under the hood. The stock engine with 1 shiny intake pipe isn't worth showing off.

JW0914

Banned
Banned
First Name
JW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
00 Orion Nebula
Country flag
This style of hood is analogous to Lambo door kits - they're for show cars only, and will not function correctly with daily use over time.
  • The obvious: our turbos reach in excess of 2300F which is not conducive to potentially having acrylic exposed to temperatures even half that (if it doesn't eventually melt, it'll haze over); tempered glass wouldn't be much better and would eventually shatter from the internal stresses built up over the heating cycles, which would be accelerated from rock chips.

RepyT

Almost Stock ā€˜19 R on 255/35-19ā€
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R FK8, 2017 Lexus GX460 Luxury
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If that's acrylic ....a secondary el cheapo hood for track days with cooling could be nice.
This hood reminds me of those clear model engines, either V-8 or Wankel rotary that turn slowly to demonstrate how they function.

If the owner really wants to see if people pay attention at a show, tuck into a void area a hamster exercise wheel.

At a recent show I saw a Tesla with the Frunk (front trunk) Open and it had a big bottle of V8 juice displayed. Got 18 y/o son to go check out the V8 under the hood of that Tesla, the puzzled look prior, priceless.

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
This hood reminds me of those clear model engines, either V-8 or Wankel rotary that turn slowly to demonstrate how they function.

If the owner really wants to see if people pay attention at a show, tuck into a void area a hamster exercise wheel.

At a recent show I saw a Tesla with the Frunk (front trunk) Open and it had a big bottle of V8 juice displayed. Got 18 y/o son to go check out the V8 under the hood of that Tesla, the puzzled look prior, priceless.
Or a cut-away gas turbine

RepyT

Almost Stock ā€˜19 R on 255/35-19ā€
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R FK8, 2017 Lexus GX460 Luxury
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thought about it, but as Randy on American Idol used to say, it's a no for me dog.
For a show car with engine mods, for sure. For a daily driver, nah. Spouse agrees, not feeling it.
Functionally, a nonstarter. Don't we have enough issues with heat soak, etc. on the stock setup? In the AZ desert, your FK8 would have a much shorter life expectancy with that engine cover. Clear engine covers work real well - on an Audi R8 or Ferrari...not so much here. Even though I like our FK8 rides better than either of those examples.
It would create a new market nicheā€™ though... suntan spray protection for your under hood components. Youā€™d need it as UV would fade red engine cover and other plastics, rubber hoses, anything baked in full sun extensively.

Iā€™d crack up if this car was at a show hood up.