Would you buy your car again?

arampapaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 LSM Civic Coupe Touring
I think a lot depends on your priorities. Look, the Corolla will always be more reliable and the Mazda 3 is a great handling car, but tech wise? The new Civic is pretty amazing. Yes, there have been and will have problems. Its a complex vehicle. Get a 2015 Civic if that's what you're looking for.
I agree 100% with the tech aspect. That was actually what drew me to the Civic more than anything else. I went with a coupe because it different, and you do not see one every 2 blocks. But the build quality that goes along with it is horrendous. Nobody can argue that point.
Sponsored

arampapaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is what I do for a living... I design cars. First generation is absolutely a valid excuse. Materials are not materials because materials are constantly changing. The plastic that was used in 2014 might not be available in 2016 so your forced to switch to something else. Believe me, you would not believe what goes into designing cars. I had no idea the levels of depth before I got this job.

It also sounds like you have a crummy dealership. These guys, incompetent as they may be on the issues, have had no problems taking my car and looking for the issues. I've taken it in for the surging issue and satellite radio "Check Tuner" issue, both issues being intermittent and hard to physically diagnose. If I call them for a TSB, they schedule an appointment with no argument.
My girlfriend bought a 2016 CRV 2 weeks after I bought the Civic, and let me tell you the plastics in the CRV are much nicer than the Civic. I am not buying the fact that the plastics might not have been available. They just went cheap because it is their low end vehicle.

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My girlfriend bought a 2016 CRV 2 weeks after I bought the Civic, and let me tell you the plastics in the CRV are much nicer than the Civic. I am not buying the fact that the plastics might not have been available. They just went cheap because it is their low end vehicle.
That was a manufacturing example, not a fact. I was merely trying to illustrate the complexity. Until you're in a room with 30+ engineers fighting over millimeters will you realize how complex it is to manufacture a car.

I can see you're so jaded there is no convincing you. Sorry that you don't like your car and I hope your experience gets better, but I believe that 99% of the people on this forum will agree the Civic X is a fantastic car.

arampapaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That was a manufacturing example, not a fact. I was merely trying to illustrate the complexity. Until you're in a room with 30+ engineers fighting over millimeters will you realize how complex it is to manufacture a car.

I can see you're so jaded there is no convincing you. Sorry that you don't like your car and I hope your experience gets better, but I believe that 99% of the people on this forum will agree the Civic X is a fantastic car.
It is not a matter of convincing me. The things I am saying are 100% true, not opinions. The car is what it is, some will love it and some won't. The car drives nice, has good brakes, I like Honda sense for the most part, the coupe I have looks awesome (especially after I applied Collinite), but it is still built very cheaply and there are lots of issues. All of us here are Civic owners, and this isn't against anyone on a personal level.

djasonw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring, 2017 Toyota iM
Country flag
I'm pretty particular about build quality and I find that my 16 Touring is very well built for an economy car. It rides nicely, handles well, great little engine, fantastic tech and quiet ride. This is the first Honda I've owned. I had an Acura Integra but that was in the 90's. I've also owned Mercedes, Audi, Lexus and BMW. I'm actually pretty impressed with the this car and it reminds me a little of my old Audi A4 I bought in 1996. I also was considering a Mazda 3 but the styling was just not to my liking. I also did not like the noisy highway ride. As for the Corolla, that is probably the most boring car I have ever driven. Now I see why the Civic is actually out selling the Corolla! For now, I'm happy. Let's see how well this puppy ages.

skittles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Hatchback Sport and 2013 370Z sport
Vehicle Showcase
I probably wouldn't, I love my car I truly do but I'm the type of go who loves trying new things. I've had my fun with the civic, now I'd love to try a new car. As far as mazda goes I'm sure they're good cars but they're ugly. I don't care if the car is made out of carbon fiber if it's designed ugly that's truly sad. Even the new Chevy Cruze (my arch nemesis of compacts) looks better than the 3. Let's just say the sales speak for themselves.
The Mazda 3 hatch looks sharp but only with a cool body kit.. Saw one in white with black wheels that had a red center cap..Also with the body kit and I have to admit looked really sharp..Lol.. This is my first Honda and prior to the 2016 remodel I thought they were boring. So whether I'd buy another Honda will have to wait and see how things go with my coupe. However, it is a lot of fun driving this turbo and I like how the exterior looks..Time will tell.

tcl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T SOLD June 2016
Vehicle Showcase
The answer is no for me but largely because I missed the qualities of the V6 engines that I’ve been driving since the 1980s and because the 6-way driver’s seat of the EX-T became uncomfortable for me after about 60 to 90 minutes of driving. What drew me to the Civic was how much I enjoyed its steering and agility on the test drive. I wasn’t too concerned about the software issues that I was reading about because they should be correctable with a lot less effort than mechanical or structural issues. I was a bit concerned about long term engine life due to the amount of heat it generates and because of the valve deposit issues that plague many of the direct injection engines on the market today. So after about six months I sold my EX-T last week and got back into a car with a port injected V6 engine and an automatic transmission with a manual shift capability. I took a hit on the depreciation but I don’t know how much longer port injected V6 engines will be around in mainstream cars so I wanted to make the move now. The seat comfort issue was the other motivator for my quick sale.

Last edited:

Ben&Jen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Cosmic

kirkhilles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T Cosmic Blue
I'm sorry to hear about your experience. I'm at a little over a month (January 2016 build) and 1,500 miles and absolutely LOVE the car. I miss it when I drive anything else. No problems of surging or anything else yet.

Ben&Jen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Cosmic
At this time myself. I like, not love the car, would wait for about 18 months before considering a new model in the future...

Reason, Infotainment: garbage, Metal fit and finish: poor, Metal: way to thin: Cheap parts: many. Rattles/Noises: medium, could be better. Upholstery: Cheesy, hate the built-in back headrest. There crooked and show poor stitching.

Other that this, I like the car.........Mmmmmm

Justin G

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatch Sport.
Country flag
I would and I would stick with the Lx again. No infotainment problems(because there isn't one) and all the problems seem to be with the higher trim models.

mechatune

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.slow
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Sadly, no. Really don't like a CVT.
I should've got a Jetta! 1.8 turbo, bigger gas tank and didn't know that 2016 models come with android auto and carplay.

I was persuaded by the Civic's re-design and overall newness. Ah well, it won multiple car of the years and will hold its value well come trade-in.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Sadly, no. Really don't like a CVT.
I should've got a Jetta! 1.8 turbo, bigger gas tank and didn't know that 2016 models come with android auto and carplay.

I was persuaded by the Civic's re-design and overall newness. Ah well, it won multiple car of the years and will hold its value well come trade-in.
Just curious, not judging or hating - if you dislike the driving experience CVTs offer, why did you buy a car with one?

kirkhilles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T Cosmic Blue
What exactly are the problems with the infotainment system? I know people have had hardware problems, but I've had great experiences using my Nexus 6. Sure, it takes it a minute or two to load everything up and I hate the "don't do this while driving", but otherwise both Google Maps and Spotify have been great! Look forward to re-evaluating Waze when its released as well.

Also, I love the CVT and again, I'm a MT Miata owner. I think its very automatic-like and will give me plenty of power with the Turbo anytime I want it.
Sponsored