Would you buy an si for a long daily commute

YoshiExcel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
My commute to work is 70 miles, so I do 140 miles daily (Thank goodness I will start working from home soon, so no more long drives!) This car handles the drive like a champ. I never hit bad traffic due to my work hours, but I can say that I would absolutely not drive manual if I had to deal with traffic daily.

I take a few fun country backroads on my drive and lots of turns, so I put the handling to the test and it does great. Getting 38 miles per gallon (mostly hwy).

If there is anything I don't like is that I do get a bit more road noise than I would want, but it's not bad by any means.
Sponsored

Aero2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura TSX, 2010, 6MT
Country flag
My knees are shot in my 40's already but the clutch on the Si is so light its not an issue.
I'm 51 with knee issues, and I agree. For 15 years, I commuted between Philly and Wilmington, DE with manual transmissions, and a light clutch makes a big difference. My 2001 SAAB 9-5 Aero had the lightest of the bunch, and if anything the Civic Si's clutch is even lighter. (I've tested the new Si twice. Possibly the lightest clutch I've ever used.) My 2010 TSX now has 115k miles, and its clutch is getting heavy enough to bother my knee after some long drives in heavy traffic, but moving the seat forward slightly helps enormously. It will probably need a new clutch soon.

integra15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
Long drive - if you want a sedan - absolutely. Probably one of the best sedans on the market.

SUVs are dominating the market because they are innovating. Honda is one of the only companies left innovating in the sedan market

delsorbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic si sedan '18
Country flag
just did 300km round trip (600 total) first half, my butt was feeling a little sore.. but on the way home it was smooth sailing and very comfortable

emgsix

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
I do about 110 miles round trip on the daily with my SI, sometimes more. I have been doing this for about a year and a half since I picked up my 2017 sedan brand new, and I am at about 45000 miles now. I love driving this daily and have had no issues.

Recently installed a Fortin remote start and I am looking into more mods now.

Apostolis

Greek
First Name
Apostolis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I have 27500 kilometers on a 2017 civic si sedan. Have taken this thing off roading with stock all season tires. I commuted for two summer seasons in canada at 125kms a day. Only maintenance done so far was oil changes and tire rotations. Everything checks out. And i have driven this machine hard. Brakes are like brand new even though my commute is all back roads with speeds ranging between 55 miles ph to 80 ph and sudden 90 degree turns or long twisty bends. I am not concerned about realibility. 6.0 l per 100 average on 27500 kms of mixed high way spirited and city driving is excellent in my books. I bought this car as a young fella attending university and working two jobs and never looked back. This car will be only summer driven and it will be driven hard. I got my 1998 corolla with 300kms on the clock for winter :). Buy an si my friend. No regrets for you in the future. My uncle drives a caddillac sts-v and he commended on how smooth my si was on the backroads even though he loves his caddy.

unholy79

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type-R, 2023 Indian Sport Chief
Country flag
66 mile round trip in mine, fun to drive, easy to park, and sips gasoline. Can't beat it. The worst part of my commute is when I have to stop driving and catch the train.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
66 mile round trip in mine, fun to drive, easy to park, and sips gasoline. Can't beat it. The worst part of my commute is when I have to stop driving and catch the train.
If you are not use to the bucket seats of a new Si, then you might find them a little stiff & tight, (even if you have a smaller frame)... but
(1) After a short time, your rear gets use to it, and it feels really comfortable.
(2) I think the Initial stiffness of the seat breaks down a little, and that also helps it feel snug and conforming. (Helps if you do not have too muck junk in your trouser pockets !!)

The ride is subjectively different for the Driver & Passenger.

I think the basic seats are the same, but when you are driving, the driver's seat from day 1 seems more comfortable than the passenger seat .. maybe because you are in a slightly different position, and holding the steering wheel.

Depending on the roads you travel and their condition, the ride can vary between real smooth to a bone shaker .. but you get use to that. :spaz:

We have the 18" wheels .. I imagine that the 19" wheels with less sidewall on the tires give an even rougher ride on bad roads.

On our Bucket List is looking into some 17" wheels for long trips (like over 3-4 hours).
I see some claim that some 17" wheels will clear the bigger Brake Calipers fitted to the 2018 Si, but so far, have not had a 100% definitive answer as to if any really do in practice.

Dealers are eager to clear out the 2018 Si models, so you stand a good chance in getting them to allow you to have an extended test drive -- like at least an Hour, so you can try it on different roads, and get a better "FEELING" as to how much your Bum looses FEELING on a long ride !!

You are unlikely to get a true picture with a quick Test Ride around the block.

Another thing to watch for, is if you are tall (like 5 11 +), is that while the driver's seat can be lowered enough for a 6ft person, the passenger seat ise FIXED, at about the mid height position... If you are over 5 11, you will find that your hair is touching the roof, unless you recline the seat significantly, which you will probably find uncomfortable in the Si.

Bottom Like (Literally BOTTOM Line), is to give it a long test drive, and see what YOU think for yourself.

Civic17siYAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si
Country flag
I drive anywhere from 800 to 1500 miles a week and even on those 8 hour 500+ mile days I have yet to experience any type of back pain etc from the seats. Si coupe is an awesome commuter car in my opinion.

VooDuuChild

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si, Boosted Street and Track Monster 91 CRX Si.
Country flag
I did....even before driving one hahaha....it arrives end of October. I will test drive it on my way home haha. I'm sure it is somewhere between my street/track honda and my luxury SUV, so it will be fine for me. I care more about the MPG anyhow and not spending $400 a month to commute in fuel.

Friction

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I did. only 70 miles round trip but mostly curvy back roads. Love the MPG's.

Himzach

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si 10th gen
Country flag
I bought mine specifically for my 85 mile round trip work commute. Before picking up the Si, I daily drove a 2013 Ford Raptor to work. Let's just say the money I saved in gas more than made up for the car payment. The Civic drives very well and is quite comfortable for longer commutes.

IMG_1171.JPG
Funny I just traded my 14 exhibit for a new si sedan