Would you buy an si for a long daily commute

davidpeab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Touring Hatchback
Country flag
As a guy in his late 50's I shied away from the Si for only one reason. My commute is from Baltimore to Washington DC and it involves some of the worst stop and go traffic on earth. I can't imagine my left knee would last very long with all that clutching. Most days I take a train though, so maybe my next one will be an Si. And yes, some of us geezers do drive them like they were designed to drive.
Sponsored

DoingOK

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Put 16,000 miles on my Si in the last 10 months. Have a K tuner and my average mpg is a solid 37.2 :)

babinjm

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
I have a 30 mile commute each way with a mix of highway and city driving. The Si is the perfect car for this drive. Great MPG, comfortable seats, decent sound system, Apple CarPlay, and if I feel frisky and want to zip in and out of traffic it has the power to do so. It also has compliant enough ride for cruising.

Ataricade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
As a guy in his late 50's I shied away from the Si for only one reason. My commute is from Baltimore to Washington DC and it involves some of the worst stop and go traffic on earth. I can't imagine my left knee would last very long with all that clutching. Most days I take a train though, so maybe my next one will be an Si. And yes, some of us geezers do drive them like they were designed to drive.
My knees are shot in my 40's already but the clutch on the Si is so light its not an issue.

Swank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe Black
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Man, I wish my commute was longer. I've had my Si 2 months as of today and still not done the break in period. Today will be the 2nd refuel since getting it, I'm loving the mileage I get out of it, though that will drop once I can drive it in a more spirited way :drive:

siguy7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic SI Sedan 2018
Country flag
Got one just for my 100 mile daily commute.. 3000 miles in and I have nothing but good things to say. I do about 42 miles to the gallon (mostly highway) + the seat is super comfy!

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
Put 16,000 miles on my Si in the last 10 months. Have a K tuner and my average mpg is a solid 37.2 :)
damn thats a lot of fuggin driving. how do you get so many miles on your si?

Chris26

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My commute is ~80 miles round trip each day. I bought my Si in July of last year and have almost 24K miles on it now. It truly is an excellent commuter car. I find the seats to be super comfortable.

I've tracked every fill-up with Fuelly and according to it I've averaged 38.1 MPG so far. I bought my KTuner a few weeks ago and the average has suffered a bit lately due to all the WOT. Maybe it'll creep back up over time, we'll see :)

r1dered214

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si coupe
Country flag
I’ve had mine for all of a couple weeks and put 94 on each day. I’ve never owned anything but a truck in my life so I don’t have much to compare it to in that regard but with closing in on 2,000 miles I really enjoy it. Heck I even walked out with both sets of keys as I wasn’t sure what I wanted to drive. Took the car it’s a ton of fun. If they made an SI hatch it would have been too perfect for me. I went with the SI over the sport hatch because I actually like the seats better and I wanted to push button start as well as the sun roof. Don’t think you can go wrong with either.

NoKz

Speed Limit Tester
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si Coupe (Sold 12/2021)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've had my Si for over a week now and have a 64 mile round trip for work. So far, I'm noticing better mileage with the Si. I regret nothing about getting this car. It's peppy and economic at the same time. I look forward to having it another 10 years minimum. :)

Last edited:

Vader_Si

First Name
Ryota Watanabe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si Sedan 2018
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My commute is 50 miles driving to college there and back. I get stuck in morning traffic and the Si is perfect with a super light clutch. Seat is comfortable, sound system is not too bad, and gets great MPG. I took my car on a roadtrip to SoCal and it was one of the most convenient roadtrip sports car.

Fazzster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord 2.0T Sport Manual, 2020 Odyssey EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My round trip commuting distance is the same. 80% hwy - 20% back roads. I get 38-42 mpg....I would not worry about long term reliability. It's a Honda afterall but I am skeptical about direct injection and carbon build up. This engine is relatively new so we shall see but overall you will be getting a reliable car. The only gripe are the seats but I suspect it is because I am pretty short at 5'3". I am either too close or too far from the wheel and I keep sliding down and propping myself back up.

Last edited:

caspar21

2018 Civic Si
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
my si coupe is 3 months old. just passing 13.5km(8350miles). other than adding a small cushion for the back of the neck i find the seats very comfortable on a long drive.(i am 6ft)
ktuner has taken the training wheels off the car and it GOES when i ask it to.
gas milage is about the same as others have stated.
and when the remaining miles of fuel says 0 you got another 30-40 miles before its really empty.(on mine anyways)... (don't ask):doh:

2CAMS

First Name
CP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic SI 2017
Country flag
its great as long as you dont do bumper to bumper traffic.

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Dude im sorry you have to go through that, the 95/495 (capital beltway) literally is the worst (been stuck for hours before in that) in terms of traffic into the DC, a manual would be way too rough in those kinds of conditions. I go through it a lot too as I make frequent business trips in to NYC and I always happen to be coming back during peak time (sometimes morning or evening) and I have to leave insanely early so I can get home at a decent time.
Sponsored