Would you buy an si for a long daily commute

RP2000R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Porsche GT4, 20 Civic Si, 15 Lexus IS350 RWD
Country flag
All day... every day. :thumbsup:
I recently bought a 18 Si Coupe for commuting 60 miles a day to Seattle and have to say it’s a lot of car for the money. Everyday I enjoy the drive and look forward to driving the car.
Originally was going to get another hatchback but for the $1500 or so more for the Si it was a no brainer for the extras like lsd, upgraded stereo, fogs, extra power,and my favorite part heated seats!

It does ride firm but I enjoy it and the seats are very comfortable for long trips!
Sponsored

RODSCIVIC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Acura MDX 2016 Focus ST 2018 Si Sedan
Country flag
I drive 140 miles round trip daily. Being that its a Honda I am not concerned about long term reliability. MPG is great and on that last day of the week I can have some fun with it in Sport mode without worrying about paying too much at the pump. Great car.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
I also recommend taking for a test drive to see how the seats treat you. I had zero issues tonight driving 250 miles non-stop. And I returned some impressive fuel economy to boot.

Honda Civic 10th gen Would you buy an si for a long daily commute 20180217_193811

wopsi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si
Country flag
This is one of the reasons why I went with the si over the type r. The more comfortable ride and better mpgs. The seats are comfortable for long rides. I hear the type r seats feel uncomfortable after a while. I take long road trips every year.

jmr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe, 2016 RAM QC 4x4, 2016 Dart Rallye
Country flag
I drive around 300 miles per week 60% highway and get 36 mpg hand calculated real world mileage.
The Si coupe for me has been a great car for commuting.

WokeNotaSleep

Banned
Banned
First Name
WokeDude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic
I would buy the hatch for long-term err long commutes and here is the kicker. You drop the back seats, throw up a sleeping bag and you got instant motel 6. Can't do that with a si. and you will get tired, no matter if you are in a limo or civic or in an airplane with no noise or vibrations.

Deleted member

I would buy the hatch for long-term err long commutes and here is the kicker. You drop the back seats, throw up a sleeping bag and you got instant motel 6. Can't do that with a si. and you will get tired, no matter if you are in a limo or civic or in an airplane with no noise or vibrations.
If someone can afford a new Si they can probably afford a stay at a real hotel :patriot:

metzb1

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The seats in the Si are much more comfortable to me than the normal Civic seats. I mean, a LOT more comfortable. As one would expect, the ride is a bit firmer in the Si than the hatch so if you are driving on bumpy roads every day (or in traffic with a manual), that can be an issue after a while. The sunroof, better audio system, and sport mode are nice to have as well.

Wife has 7k on her CVT Sport hatch with no issues. I have 2.5k on my Si with no issues. I wouldn't be too concerned about longevity with a long commute. Constant speed driving doesn't do much to stress an engine. Short bursts around town where the engine doesn't have a chance to warm up will hurt longevity a lot more. Regular oil changes with good syn oil and you should be fine for many years.

I travel about 115 miles round trip to work every day and I’m getting close to needing a new car for my commute.
The new si is on my short list because of the extra power and handling over a standard civic but I’m a little concerned about long term reliability.
I know the new si has only been around for a short time but just wondering if anyone here has been racking up miles on it and what issues they have had.

Thanks

cwcaesar

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I absolutely love my Si for my 56 mile commute each way. Putting in 112 miles (at least) daily and I have no complaints. I am way over the expectations on MPG with close to 3,000 miles on the car in a little over 3 weeks. Total driving I am getting over 38MPG. Today I got 45.7 MPG on the commute in keeping it between 65 & 70 MPH. The LSD (and it's hard to find a manual in the EX-T) are the big reason I got this car. Plus I always lusted after the Si back in my college days.

My only big hesitation was the seats before I bought the car. I am a big guy and I thought the seats would be too snug. I finally got the chance to spend a good bit of time in the seat at the dealer before finally going on a long test drive. I got to spend the better part of an hour in the seats and I didn't feel any fatigue. Now having owned the car for a few weeks, I LOVE the seats. So comfortable!

I love this car for the commute! Plenty of power when I need it, super fun to drive, and Honda reliability. I highly recommend this car as a daily driver!

scottso990

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R, 2016 HRV, 2009 Civic EX
Country flag
I have about an 85 mile round trip commute. Have racked about 18k on my Si Sedan since i bought it with no issues (knock on wood). Comfortable and fun to drive, and pretty damn good on gas! I get roughly 38-41mpg with regular 87 fuel.

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si sedan, 2006 civic si coupe
I get roughly 38-41mpg with regular 87 fuel.
Well that’s good that you have been trouble free, the owners manual says the manufacturer recommends 91 octane premium gas for the Si trim. I wonder if that will have a harsh effects long term because it’s a D/I turbo motor.

AMGSiR

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si Sedan (CBP)
Country flag
Yup, i do about 60 miles a day round trip and the Si sedan is the perfect match of economy, comfort, and fun. I could use a little better stereo, but that's my only complaint!
Sponsored