Would the CVT in the Sport theoretically last longer than in EX/EXL/Touring?

MutatedMango

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Si FC3
Country flag
If the CVT in the LX/Sport trims is mated to the 2.0NA motor (less horsepower/torque) wouldn't that put a lot less strain on the transmission than the 1.5T motor in the higher trims? So the CVT would have less stress on it over the course of its lifetime if both cars were driven theoretically the exact same way?
Sponsored

NotSerious

First Name
Me
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018CivicLXSedanCVT
Country flag
If the CVT in the LX/Sport trims is mated to the 2.0NA motor (less horsepower/torque) wouldn't that put a lot less strain on the transmission than the 1.5T motor in the higher trims? So the CVT would have less stress on it over the course of its lifetime if both cars were driven theoretically the exact same way?
The 2.0 CVT is from the 2014/2015 Civic.
The 1.5T CVT is from the previous generation Accord.

The CVT in the turbo-charged Civic is more robust than the one in the non-turbo-charged Civic.
This makes sense as the turbo-charged Civic has significantly more torque.

OP
OP
MutatedMango

MutatedMango

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Si FC3
Country flag
The 2.0 CVT is from the 2014/2015 Civic.
The 1.5T CVT is from the previous generation Accord.

The CVT in the turbo-charged Civic is more robust than the one in the non-turbo-charged Civic.
This makes sense as the turbo-charged Civic has significantly more torque.
Ahh that explains this for me. Has the CVT remained largely unchanged form the 9th gen Accord and 9th gen Civic? I haven't heard of any issues with the Honda CVTs from then

NotSerious

First Name
Me
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018CivicLXSedanCVT
Country flag
Ahh that explains this for me. Has the CVT remained largely unchanged form the 9th gen Accord and 9th gen Civic? I haven't heard of any issues with the Honda CVTs from then
I believe that there were small changes made to them before they went into the 10th gen Civic.
The only people who seem to have problems are the people who do performance modifications.
I have heard very few problems with the ones that were left stock.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MutatedMango

MutatedMango

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Si FC3
Country flag
I believe that there were small changes made to them before they went into the 10th gen Civic.
The only people who seems to have problems are the people who do performance modifications.
Yeah me neither. Sounds good thanks for the info! I have an Si but was just curious lol

PEPSIFLAME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic EX Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The only people who seem to have problems are the people who do performance modifications.
To clarify, the ones that have problems are the ones who pump more torque through it than it can handle. Torque will kill it. Mods need to be done with caution and kept under control.
Sponsored