Would anyone trade from a WRX to a TypeR?

Blindeye_03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CTR - White
Country flag
EDIT at the bottom

So let me start by saying I swap cars way too much and no I already know I shouldnt do this but I am bored. My WRX was purchased new earlier this year and has a stage 1 tune on it.. I am happy with the car (fast, handles well, fun to drive) but I really want a hatch back.

The Veloster N has been on my list but I think its just too small for me and so far Hyundai dealers have been awful to deal with. I have had 2 different 2018 civic Si's (one was in a wreck and should have been totaled but wasnt.. I traded that on another one) and while I liked the car overall I hated the power or lack of it. When I would shift gears there was this lag in power. It wasnt turbo lag, it was like the ECU had something programmed into it to save the clutch, I dont know what it was but it was really weird. I went from a Fiesta ST to the civic pair and then I traded out of it back into a Fiesta ST. Anyways...

I dont think the VN will be something that fits my needs.. I saw a few used Type R's for sale on Carvana. I only looked because Carvana would pay me more than what I bought my WRX for when it was new if I were to trade it into them. The Type R's are marked up a little but theyve always been marked up. A lot of people hate the styling on the 10th gen civics but I love it.

The reasons I shouldnt buy one: Its a bad idea to buy anything right now and with winter coming up I really shouldnt buy anything since I would need all seasons at least. I live in an apartment so this thing would see automatic touchless carwashes (not the worst thing) but it'd be parked outside all the time. No heated seats. Auto loan rates are high right now..

IF I were to do this what should I be looking for? Carvana gives you 7 days to check the car out and I live in North Kentucky - I'd find a shop to look it over.

I totally posted this in the wrong damn forum :-|

EDIT: I ended up with a 2019 CTR in white with a hair under 10k miles. First impressions - the seats, oh my lord the seats. So much more comfy than the WRX seats and I thought they were okay but they did fatigue my legs a little because of the seating position. Power.. it has a lot more than my stage 1 pro tuned WRX. I love the 2019 interior - I hated that the climate control on my 2018 civic i(s) were un-accessible till the infotainment turned on. At least now I can turn the fan down on the slow ass system. Love the "boy-racer styling".

Now to buy some 18s and all seasons before I fall into a pothole and bend a wheel.
Sponsored

Last edited:

typearghhhh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
So let me start by saying I swap cars way too much and no I already know I shouldnt do this but I am bored. My WRX was purchased new earlier this year and has a stage 1 tune on it.. I am happy with the car (fast, handles well, fun to drive) but I really want a hatch back.

The Veloster N has been on my list but I think its just too small for me and so far Hyundai dealers have been awful to deal with. I have had 2 different 2018 civic Si's (one was in a wreck and should have been totaled but wasnt.. I traded that on another one) and while I liked the car overall I hated the power or lack of it. When I would shift gears there was this lag in power. It wasnt turbo lag, it was like the ECU had something programmed into it to save the clutch, I dont know what it was but it was really weird. I went from a Fiesta ST to the civic pair and then I traded out of it back into a Fiesta ST. Anyways...

I dont think the VN will be something that fits my needs.. I saw a few used Type R's for sale on Carvana. I only looked because Carvana would pay me more than what I bought my WRX for when it was new if I were to trade it into them. The Type R's are marked up a little but theyve always been marked up. A lot of people hate the styling on the 10th gen civics but I love it.

The reasons I shouldnt buy one: Its a bad idea to buy anything right now and with winter coming up I really shouldnt buy anything since I would need all seasons at least. I live in an apartment so this thing would see automatic touchless carwashes (not the worst thing) but it'd be parked outside all the time. No heated seats. Auto loan rates are high right now..

IF I were to do this what should I be looking for? Carvana gives you 7 days to check the car out and I live in North Kentucky - I'd find a shop to look it over.

EDIT- I totally posted this in the wrong damn forum :-|
the heated seats dont really matter if their cloth like our cars are.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag

EDIT- I totally posted this in the wrong damn forum :-|
I drive my CTR year-round on all-season tires since the roads around me tend to be cleared with good turn around time during the winter (normally within hours, rarely > 24 hours). The car is not garage stored since the house has no garage, so it’s left out. I mainly bring it through a touch less car wash as well. The car was purchased new and has no real issues for me, but it is a daily driver with over 63k miles already. Mechanically I haven’t had too many issues. The only thing that comes up is the clutch pedal making squeaking noises which worsens as the temps go down.

It’s not recommended to drive the OEM tires below 40F, though a lot of people swap these tires out anyways for something that last longer. All-season tires do exist for the stock rims, there are two in the stock size; I don’t recommend the NeoGen. A lot of users here have used the DSW-06 in 245/35/20 without issue though. However, many of us just swap rims.

These cars really haven’t seen many issues to look for. Gear grinds tend to be normal, but might also be fixed with technique and time. Though some have disagreed with me, the gearbox doesn’t seem to like being banged quickly gear to gear as you’re more likely to run into lockouts and grinds this way. Note that the cause of the gear grinds and lockouts is still not a closed book. Ideas stemming from user error, to tight tolerances, to defects, and others have been suggested. Some have had success by adjusting the clutch pedal (you can search the forums) and/or changing the fluid in the car (again, search). I have done neither of these things though.

Note that my gearbox did have grinds (1->2, 3->2) and lockouts (3->4,5->4,N->1,N->R) which more or less completely disappeared after 12k miles. I will still get a N->1 or N->R lockout from time to time if the gears don’t line up perfectly, though this seems to be normal for any sort of manual transmission (see first answer for reason and solution).

The only other thing would be to search and make sure the FK8 you’re buying doesn’t have an open recall, though I don’t know if Carvana can sell a car with an open recall on it. Various (not all) 2018-2020 models have been recalled for their fuel pumps which have left drivers stranded.

Nothing else really comes to mind. The car does tend to paint chip easily, if you don’t see any the car either hasn’t been driven or has PPF (though that would be visible).

It’s still difficult for us to know if the ECU has been tuned (if this is something you care about). I think one of the main ways Honda does it is to read how many miles the car has gone since the ECU last got flashed. Though disconnecting the battery on the car should also can reset this counter.

Edit: note that I can’t compare the FK8 to either current generation WRX as I don’t quite fit in it ergonomically (have trouble depressing the clutch pedal all the way).

the heated seats dont really matter if their cloth like our cars are.
I do want to disagree with this a little bit. Although it’s not as big of an issue compared to a leather seat, having it would still be better than not having it IMO. Though by that same token, I kind of get around the entire issue by having a remote start (if I remember to use it when I leave the car). I’m finally starting to hit months (again) where I do wish the car had heated seats. In the next 3-4 I’ll be wishing it had heated mirrors :p

OP
OP

Blindeye_03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CTR - White
Country flag
I drive my CTR year-round on all-season tires since the roads around me tend to be cleared with good turn around time during the winter (normally within hours, rarely > 24 hours). The car is not garage stored since the house has no garage, so it’s left out. I mainly bring it through a touch less car wash as well. The car was purchased new and has no real issues for me, but it is a daily driver with over 63k miles already. Mechanically I haven’t had too many issues. The only thing that comes up is the clutch pedal making squeaking noises which worsens as the temps go down.

It’s not recommended to drive the OEM tires below 40F, though a lot of people swap these tires out anyways for something that last longer. All-season tires do exist for the stock rims, there are two in the stock size; I don’t recommend the NeoGen. A lot of users here have used the DSW-06 in 245/35/20 without issue though. However, many of us just swap rims.

These cars really haven’t seen many issues to look for. Gear grinds tend to be normal, but might also be fixed with technique and time. Though some have disagreed with me, the gearbox doesn’t seem to like being banged quickly gear to gear as you’re more likely to run into lockouts and grinds this way. Note that the cause of the gear grinds and lockouts is still not a closed book. Ideas stemming from user error, to tight tolerances, to defects, and others have been suggested. Some have had success by adjusting the clutch pedal (you can search the forums) and/or changing the fluid in the car (again, search). I have done neither of these things though.

Note that my gearbox did have grinds (1->2, 3->2) and lockouts (3->4,5->4,N->1,N->R) which more or less completely disappeared after 12k miles. I will still get a N->1 or N->R lockout from time to time if the gears don’t line up perfectly, though this seems to be normal for any sort of manual transmission (see first answer for reason and solution).

The only other thing would be to search and make sure the FK8 you’re buying doesn’t have an open recall, though I don’t know if Carvana can sell a car with an open recall on it. Various (not all) 2018-2020 models have been recalled for their fuel pumps which have left drivers stranded.

Nothing else really comes to mind. The car does tend to paint chip easily, if you don’t see any the car either hasn’t been driven or has PPF (though that would be visible).

It’s still difficult for us to know if the ECU has been tuned (if this is something you care about). I think one of the main ways Honda does it is to read how many miles the car has gone since the ECU last got flashed. Though disconnecting the battery on the car should also can reset this counter.

Edit: note that I can’t compare the FK8 to either current generation WRX as I don’t quite fit in it ergonomically (have trouble depressing the clutch pedal all the way).

I do want to disagree with this a little bit. Although it’s not as big of an issue compared to a leather seat, having it would still be better than not having it IMO. Though by that same token, I kind of get around the entire issue by having a remote start (if I remember to use it when I leave the car). I’m finally starting to hit months (again) where I do wish the car had heated seats. In the next 3-4 I’ll be wishing it had heated mirrors :p
I appreciate the reply and that you daily drive and park yours outside.

I had a '14 civic si that had a squeeky clutch pedal too, I ended up using silicone spray on the arm of the clutch pedal in the cabin and it'd help for a few days.. I never cared to investigate it further. I did see the sticky about the transmission grinds.

Ive decided that IF I do this I would immediately buy 18" wheels and Continental dws06? all seasons. I have Michelin pilot sport all season 4 tires on the WRX because it came with summer tires when I got it new back in February right before we got hit with a ton of snow here in North Kentucky.

Good call on the open recall comment - I just searched the honda owners site with the vin and it came back with no recalls. The carfax doesnt show any recalls but shows 3 owners over its life (2019) and one wheel repair (lol.. that'd be me for sure with 20" wheels).

Agreed about the heated seats, they arent necessary but they are really nice. I didnt know about heated mirrors though. Neither are deal breakers - the VN doesnt have heated seats and it looks like the new SI wont have them either at launch.

I'm really on the fence.. I do like the WRX but seeing what Carvana wants to pay me for it and seeing the Type R for a decent price has me wanting.

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yes.

TheGreekFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BB CTR, '23 SO 4Runner TRD Pro
Country flag
FWIW I bought mine with the intention of driving it as my primary car year round here in MA and buying a true 2 seater sports car as a secondary vehicle......one winter in and I scrapped that plan, bought an SUV for winter and the R will remain in the garage those months.

It wasn't that it was all that bad on plowed roads with 245/35/20 Michelin AS3+ on the stock wheels. Even the handful of times it saw slushy weather, it could easily plow through. It's more that the car felt too special for me to put it through a 4 season daily driver routine here in New England.

Others may disagree but I wouldn't have it as my only car, parked outside, if you plan to keep it as long as I do. Furthermore, a huge benefit of this car is the overall reliability of the powertrain, which matters way less for someone like you who swaps cars often.....but it's a huge deal for me who enjoys the same car for many years.

Personally, having a ton of experience with my brother's modded '17 WRX, I don't think it's a question that the R is in a different league. Even with all his mods, his WRX is a fun fast daily but was never enjoyable to me near it's limit. It feels heavy/sloppy through corners and too unrefined overall. On the other hand, the R's engine is pretty special and it handles like almost nothing else near it's price point.

The R is clearly the better car.......but worth the inevitable financial hit you will take on another car swap? Only you can make that call.

MoodySara

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type R - Boost Blue; 2024 Civic Touring - SGP
Country flag
I did exactly what the original question asked - I traded a 2017 WRX for a 2021 CTR.

I liked the WRX, but the CTR is a little more fun to drive. It shifts better. It has more power, but the power is much higher in the rev band than the WRX. The WRX's twin-scroll turbo helps the low end.

As daily drivers, they're not that much different. I mean, how much time do you spend at WOT, or cornering at anything like shouting distance of max lateral G's?

I had full winter tires for the WRX. I have the same for the CTR, though I haven't used them yet.

My wife has had two Si's. They were great in the winter with real snow tires. I expect the CTR to be good, too.

Masmackles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Get a Type R. Being unique alone is nice to me.

Everyone and quite literally their grandma's drive a WRX. Even STIs lol

I counted 12 on my hour drive the other day. No Type Rs. :)

typearghhhh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag

i used to live in colorado and now i live in virginia and none of my cars have had heated seats, i dont think they ever get cold enough to where you'll feel it and in colorado it gets very cold. remote start we can probably go to a shop and get a remote start switch added. the heated mirrors i agree i wish we had, but weight savings haha

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
I appreciate the reply and that you daily drive and park yours outside.

I had a '14 civic si that had a squeeky clutch pedal too, I ended up using silicone spray on the arm of the clutch pedal in the cabin and it'd help for a few days.. I never cared to investigate it further. I did see the sticky about the transmission grinds.

Ive decided that IF I do this I would immediately buy 18" wheels and Continental dws06? all seasons. I have Michelin pilot sport all season 4 tires on the WRX because it came with summer tires when I got it new back in February right before we got hit with a ton of snow here in North Kentucky.

Good call on the open recall comment - I just searched the honda owners site with the vin and it came back with no recalls. The carfax doesnt show any recalls but shows 3 owners over its life (2019) and one wheel repair (lol.. that'd be me for sure with 20" wheels).

Agreed about the heated seats, they arent necessary but they are really nice. I didnt know about heated mirrors though. Neither are deal breakers - the VN doesnt have heated seats and it looks like the new SI wont have them either at launch.

I'm really on the fence.. I do like the WRX but seeing what Carvana wants to pay me for it and seeing the Type R for a decent price has me wanting.
I'm actually running the PS AS4 on my FK8 right now on 18x8 +42 rims. They work quite well.

i used to live in colorado and now i live in virginia and none of my cars have had heated seats, i dont think they ever get cold enough to where you'll feel it and in colorado it gets very cold. remote start we can probably go to a shop and get a remote start switch added. the heated mirrors i agree i wish we had, but weight savings haha
I'm in Chicago. Heated seats is generally one of those nice to have features, like a heated mirror, but it isn't required. Though it's also one of those features that you don't know you want until you have it. I've heard people say the same about a heated steering wheel.

Snidely

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 civic si
Country flag
Save your money and get a house. Don’t worry about having a 40k car until you go from renting to building equity over the long run. Your future will thank you

04sthemi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI, 2004 Dodge Ram 1500
Country flag
Save your money and get a house. Don’t worry about having a 40k car until you go from renting to building equity over the long run. Your future will thank you
?

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
You are gonna hate this car on anything other than stock 20" with sticky summers

typearghhhh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
I'm actually running the PS AS4 on my FK8 right now on 18x8 +42 rims. They work quite well.

I'm in Chicago. Heated seats is generally one of those nice to have features, like a heated mirror, but it isn't required. Though it's also one of those features that you don't know you want until you have it. I've heard people say the same about a heated steering wheel.
heated steering wheel is just a luxury, i dont think i would even use it
Sponsored