Would anyone trade from a WRX to a TypeR?

itsovr9k

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 S2000, 2021 Civic Type R
Country flag
Probably but they were probably Subaru fanboys before. The STI is a massive downgrade in every way outside of AWD but if that's what you need then get a Golf R.
Yeah, it depends on what your looking for.

I came from a 2019 STI. Happy with my decision, particularly as I was able to switch at minimal additional cost.

They are different driving experiences. The STI is rougher around the edges, but the engine and transmission has a lot of character. There is something to be said about that.

CTR is more refined, better steering feel despite EPS, better interior ergonomics and seats, lighter weight, faster acceleration, improved brake feel, and better driving dynamics.

In normal driving situations, AWD never mattered to me. When pushing the cars on back roads, I'm typically in third gear, where traction issues are not a concern. All the other qualities, which are improved upon in the CTR really come into play.
Sponsored

DKL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Challenger Hellcat. '06 Z4 '97 Supra '18 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The EJ25 sounded good with the unequal length exhaust manifold headers, but the newer FA platform has equal length headers and sounds more like an inline 4. I'll admit, if the STi hatch was still offered I'd be tempted.. but.. the CTR is easier to work on, gets better gas mileage, and doesn't blow headgaskets.

chomdh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR, 2004 S2000, 2006 TL, 2016 Outback 3.6
Country flag
The EJ25 sounded good with the unequal length exhaust manifold headers, but the newer FA platform has equal length headers and sounds more like an inline 4. I'll admit, if the STi hatch was still offered I'd be tempted.. but.. the CTR is easier to work on, gets better gas mileage, and doesn't blow headgaskets.
I waited so long for Subaru to offer a new hatchback. Doesn’t look like that’s going to happen soon plus the 6 speed in the CTR feels so much better than Subarus. Actually, just about everything inside the car feels better in the CTR. This is coming from a long time Subaru owner and fan.

TANSTAAFL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R, Championship White
Country flag
If I had to replace my CTR right now, say if a dump truck flattened it (heaven forfend!) there ain't many cars that are even in the running. Finding anything sporty with a manual that isn't RWD (which is not really what I'd want up here in the frozen northland) is tough. The WRX or STI is certainly a fun option, and one I'd consider. I leased a 2002 WRX, first year they had them here I think, for three years, and loved it. It was a crapfest inside, with el cheapo interior bits and the refinement of a used grocery-store shopping cart, but man, it was a freakin' hoot in the mud and snow (of which we get a lot, and I live on a dirt road).

Given the relative cost, etc., I think a regular WRX is a much better buy than either the STI or the Golf R, though. I also owned a Golf R, Mk VII version, and while it was a very _good_ car, it was nowhere near as fun even as my old GTI, much less the CTR or the WRX. Refined? Yeah. Exhilarating? Not so much. And expensive as hell these days.

Rfabianfk82020

First Name
Rence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R
Country flag
I have countless WRX friends and they all agree they rather have my car no doubt. Include STI’s in there as well. Just looks alone they would trade. Then I told them the power and a couple have been inside. I think we all picked the right car in this forum lol
Honda Civic 10th gen Would anyone trade from a WRX to a TypeR? 0FFD3EB7-299D-4511-AE6C-4AA531F4060A

SGP_TypeR

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type R
Country flag
I had a 2016 WRX, then a 2018 Golf R, and now a 2021 Type R.

The WRX was by far the worst of that bunch. The CTR is nice and all but the Golf R was definitely the nicest of the bunch in terms of a DD. I think the CTR is probably a little more fun but the Golf R is the best all around car. I'm strongly considering getting another Golf R when the redesign is readily available.

19typer

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
I am doing the opposite and trading for a 2019 sti. Hopefully it works out, have always like them. The offer for the type r makes things a lot easier too.

TANSTAAFL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R, Championship White
Country flag
The WRX was by far the worst of that bunch. The CTR is nice and all but the Golf R was definitely the nicest of the bunch in terms of a DD. I think the CTR is probably a little more fun but the Golf R is the best all around car. I'm strongly considering getting another Golf R when the redesign is readily available.
I can definitely see that, though I'm not a fan of the Golf's new interior really. My main beefs with my 2016 Golf R were one, the six-speed was meh, and I had to put in a Dieselgeek short-shift kit to make it even passable, and it lacked the sheer playfulness of a GTI (something the CTR does really well though). Other than that the car was superb.

It comes down to what you want. I drive in a place with nearly no traffic and where a little rawness and rough edges makes things fun. If I was commuting more, or had to deal with more traffic, something more refined would probably be pleasant.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
I am doing the opposite and trading for a 2019 sti. Hopefully it works out, have always like them. The offer for the type r makes things a lot easier too.
I probably would have at least waited for the new STI to get announced before doing this. The STI is a fun car, you just mash the pedal and go. The suspension quite a bit rougher but the exhaust note is beautiful. I feel like there is a lot more drama to the STI over the Type R. The FK8 is quite smooth for what it does.

19typer

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
I probably would have at least waited for the new STI to get announced before doing this. The STI is a fun car, you just mash the pedal and go. The suspension quite a bit rougher but the exhaust note is beautiful. I feel like there is a lot more drama to the STI over the Type R. The FK8 is quite smooth for what it does.
Reason I didn’t wait is I made 7k with a net of 5k on trade in to drive the car for 2 years. Hard to pass up. These ridiculous prices won’t be around much longer, also, it would be more like two years or more because I wouldn’t buy a first year release
Sponsored