First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 Sport Touring, 20 Audi Q3 Progressiv
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I found two sets of Rockford Fosgate and Subwoofer to replace on my FK7. I will cost me around $400 CAN and planning to DIY.

It seems cheap just wondering if it's worth upgrading.. I don't feel like spending more, getting it professionally installed by adding an amplifiers.

BTW, changing the lower front & rear doors and the 8" subwoofer. As you can see I'm looking to improve the low's and bass.
Sponsored

CastorX

First Name
Balázs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5 Turbo Sport Plus
Country flag
Hi! Mine mine is an EU 1.5 Sport Plus and does not have a subwoofer. I replaced the front center speaker (below the windshield) and the front lower speakers (16cm) with Alpine speakers (DIY). The sound is much better now. I'm planning to replace the speakers in the rear doors too.

kittyrichie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Having just done front speaker replacement (+adding tweeters) in my sport, it is a world of a difference. I didn't add an amp, just used crossovers for the tweeters. I am running the aftermarket android headunit. Planning to go ahead and replace the rear speakers as well.

OP
OP
bembol

bembol

SHIFT_
First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks.

Watched more on YouTube. I'm thinking of adding Sound Deadening in the doors.

CastorX

First Name
Balázs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks.

Watched more on YouTube. I'm thinking of adding Sound Deadening in the doors.
That’s a very good idea! I wanted too, but I was afraid because of the warranty. Maybe I will do that too later. Btw I broke the plastic on the passengers door’s armrest, but managed to order and replace it. I think the only tricky thing is removing the black plastic with the window control buttons. Do it in warm weather (unlike I did), then it bends easier and does’t break. If you find a bluepring or photo about that component, check it first becase then you will see where to push It exactly with the screwdriver’s head or removal tool to release the little “hooks”.

SDzx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X
Country flag
Replacing just the speakers might not make much of a difference to spend that much money. Your OEM radio is specifically tuned for your speakers. Adding new speakers might make it sound worse if they are not properly powered.

OP
OP
bembol

bembol

SHIFT_
First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I know, completely agree. That's why I posted.

I'm going back and forth on this.

If I do upgrade the head unit, I feel like might as well go all the way and add an amplifier or two. Last time I completed a system was back in 2002 with my Acura RSX Premium and it was expensive.

I just figured this is a "cheap" DIY upgrade. lol

Even the sound deadening feels unnecessary. Meaning don't need to spend more than I need to.

Mike42dk

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 1.5T 2018 sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just changed all my speakers and tweeters (Hertz DSK 170.3) 8 pieces, on OEM radio, added a subwoofer (Hertz DBA 200.3).
Sound dreaded rear boot, and doors.
Now I don't understand why i didn't do this earlier, the sound is so much better, I got full range sound, and I'm enjoying playing music in my car for the first time.
Stock speakers is shite, and the subwoofer makes a big difference, so if you have the system with 8 speakers I can only say "Dooo it" :)

CastorX

First Name
Balázs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Just changed all my speakers and tweeters (Hertz DSK 170.3) 8 pieces, on OEM radio, added a subwoofer (Hertz DBA 200.3).
Sound dreaded rear boot, and doors.
Now I don't understand why i didn't do this earlier, the sound is so much better, I got full range sound, and I'm enjoying playing music in my car for the first time.
Stock speakers is shite, and the subwoofer makes a big difference, so if you have the system with 8 speakers I can only say "Dooo it" :)
Don't you worry about the warranty? I replaced 2 speakers in the front doors, and the dash speaker (huge improvement). I want to replace the tweeters too, but I think the dealer would noteice that.

CastorX

First Name
Balázs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I have saved the OEM speakers, and can make the change in just 1 hour, as all the OEM plugs is still there, and i haven't cut anything. :)
I see. But how did you replace the tweeters in the front doors?

Mike42dk

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 1.5T 2018 sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I used the Hertz Tweeters, and they fit great into the holding bracket, that holds the OEM tweeters, just a small drop of rubber glue, from a glue gun (which can be removed, but sticks great) then I used the filter that came with the speaker set, so I only used the speaker wires from the speaker.
Anyhow on the 8 speaker setup it uses the same pair of speaker wires that feed the speaker and the tweeter, they have just fitted the OEM tweeter with a transistor :-( So I recomend that you use the filter that comes with your tweeters, that's why I got the speaker/tweeter set from Hertz.

CastorX

First Name
Balázs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I used the Hertz Tweeters, and they fit great into the holding bracket, that holds the OEM tweeters, just a small drop of rubber glue, from a glue gun (which can be removed, but sticks great) then I used the filter that came with the speaker set, so I only used the speaker wires from the speaker.
Anyhow on the 8 speaker setup it uses the same pair of speaker wires that feed the speaker and the tweeter, they have just fitted the OEM tweeter with a transistor :-( So I recomend that you use the filter that comes with your tweeters, that's why I got the speaker/tweeter set from Hertz.
Thanks! I think they used the design in my car too however mine has 11 speakers. 11 shitty speakers. Ok I already replaced 3 of them. Only 8 left. :cool:

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
Audio snob here.

IMO... Honda has made it impossible to do anything simple here. Other's that have attempted to replace the OEM head unit with an aftermarket have had 50/50 results. Also... I don't believe that a simple speaker replacement will unlock enough improved low end to make a difference.

Things that change the sound at the amplifier level/speaker level seem to make the most difference in our cars. Of course if you do manage to get more bass; you'd probably benefit from a speaker upgrade. The stock speakers seem to be 'just enough' for the OEM stereo's output. Goosing that output may require more capacity.

Some folks pump it up with an external amp. Others have changed the curves with crossovers and speaker level EQ devices.

If it were me; I'd start with one of those stand alone enclosed powered hide-away subs. The perceived increase can be different from the measured increase. By that... I mean that something hidden in a trunk or under a seat may *seem* like it's closer, wider, etc.

Of course... this will never do for LeTigre and Bunny. But if you just need a more satisfying, more full spectrum sound; you may not need the Full Monty.

Just my thoughts. Good luck.