Won't start after battery replacement?

LawzE23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
Hi All,

My Civic 2018 SR 1.0 died a couple weeks ago during the start of lock down, it was jumped once and worked but died again the next day and subsequent attempts to jump haven't been successful.

Had breakdown assistance come today and replaced the battery but it still won't start, there's a red light flashing on the right of the dash, breakdown said this might be alarm/immobiliser.

Can I fix this myself or is this completely dealer related now?
Sponsored

Troy Jollimore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2018 VW Golf
Country flag
If you can’t find out any information on here or with a regular search on the immobilizer, then it will probably be a dealer thing. Or even a good independent mechanic, if it’s not under warranty.

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
Just for fun; place the fob right up against the start button and press it with the fob. If it starts; you may need some new batteries for the fob.

I don't think you have anything to lose by disconnecting the battery once more for another reset. Before you re-connect; make sure your key fob (with a good fob battery inside) is inside the car, windows down, but with doors closed. The doors/windows thing is just to keep the thing from locking you out.

The whole car is like a space shuttle launch computer. It will stop the countdown for any detail that it doesn't like. Maybe the hood needs to be closed, or doors closed, or any number of odd things before it's happy.

You could also check any system related fuses. They sometimes pop with the sudden jolt of re-connecting a battery.

I';m not a mechanic. But I am OCD as hell. Good luck.

OP
OP

LawzE23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
Just for fun; place the fob right up against the start button and press it with the fob. If it starts; you may need some new batteries for the fob.

I don't think you have anything to lose by disconnecting the battery once more for another reset. Before you re-connect; make sure your key fob (with a good fob battery inside) is inside the car, windows down, but with doors closed. The doors/windows thing is just to keep the thing from locking you out.

The whole car is like a space shuttle launch computer. It will stop the countdown for any detail that it doesn't like. Maybe the hood needs to be closed, or doors closed, or any number of odd things before it's happy.

You could also check any system related fuses. They sometimes pop with the sudden jolt of re-connecting a battery.

I';m not a mechanic. But I am OCD as hell. Good luck.
Is there a similar thing for civics without keyless? I have to put the key in the ignition and turn to start it like its a classic car ?

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
There is a risk jump starting these cars if you don't follow a specific procedure - the ground (-) lead to your car must be connected to the engine block and max booster voltage is 15 volts or else you may damage the electrics with stray currents.
When did the flashing light start - just since the new battery or when you first had the issue? Sounds like the immobilizer (ignition switch and key don't recognize each other) - try a second key.
If that doesn't work there's an issue with the system and you'll likely need to get a dealer involved.

OP
OP

LawzE23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
There is a risk jump starting these cars if you don't follow a specific procedure - the ground (-) lead to your car must be connected to the engine block and max booster voltage is 15 volts or else you may damage the electrics with stray currents.
When did the flashing light start - just since the new battery or when you first had the issue? Sounds like the immobilizer (ignition switch and key don't recognize each other) - try a second key.
If that doesn't work there's an issue with the system and you'll likely need to get a dealer involved.
Have tried both my
Try this, it's for Canadian models but it could work

Immobilizer.JPG
Thanks for this! I rang honda this morning who advised me to pump the brake after the battery was swapped. Breakdown came back out, tried it and it worked. Just needed to pump the brake beforehand and it started!

Thanks to everyone

fitter_here

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX 2016 Sedan
Country flag
Have tried both my

Thanks for this! I rang honda this morning who advised me to pump the brake after the battery was swapped. Breakdown came back out, tried it and it worked. Just needed to pump the brake beforehand and it started!

Thanks to everyone
I'm glad it worked for you. I supposed you have the same procedures than Canadian models after battery replacement.

cheer