KB3_FK8

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
Hey guys. I was going to sell my old audio equipment since I don't feel like tear apart my car but I am entertaining the idea of throwing my Component speakers in the front just as a replacement for the stock ones just because it's easier than trying to find a buyer that wants to buy some high end auto speakers.

My question is are the front door woofers receiving a full signal where I can wire up my crossover to the woofer line?

Or is it already crossovered at the stock amp where I am going to have to just wire the tweeter to the crossover?

I can't get a straight answer online and I would just assuming if the front woofers are getting a full range signal, I just tap my crossover into that and out to my new woofer and tweeter. But if it's not a full signal then my crossover input would need to be the tweeter line since the stock tweeter has a built in crossover, right?

Thanks!
Sponsored

alvav

First Name
Leonidas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2019 Acura NSX
Not only is it crossed over from the amp, but the signal is also processed with wonky equalization specific to the factory speakers (which are crap, btw). In order to do it right, you'll need a neutralizer for the equalization (Audison bitOne or Audiocontrol); otherwise, the sound may end up being worse than before.

FifStreet

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 PMM Civic Type R '07 MR Fit Sport (RIP)
Country flag
Why don't you just install them without your crossover? The factory system already does that.

alvav

First Name
Leonidas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2019 Acura NSX
The built in crossover is for the crappy factory speakers. Probably not ideal for quality components. Plus, the real issue is the built in equalization.

OP
OP
KB3_FK8

KB3_FK8

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
Why don't you just install them without your crossover? The factory system already does that.
But doesn't the factory tweeter have the full signal being sent to it and built into the factory tweet is the crossover? Or am I wrong ? I hope I'm wrong because yes this is what I would want to do for sure.

FifStreet

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The built in crossover is for the crappy factory speakers. Probably not ideal for quality components. Plus, the real issue is the built in equalization.
From what I understand the front door output on the factory amp has a full signal. That's what I used to get a signal for my aftermarket sub and amp. :dunno:

FifStreet

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
But doesn't the factory tweeter have the full signal being sent to it and built into the factory tweet is the crossover? Or am I wrong ? I hope I'm wrong because yes this is what I would want to do for sure.
I thought the factory amp already sent the processed signal to the tweeter. I'm not 100% sure. There's other threads on this forum with full builds that may have the info.

OP
OP
KB3_FK8

KB3_FK8

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
I do have really high end gear. Audio Fischer Helix Components but they are sitting around doing nothing so I just wanted to use them. They can't sound worse than factory, people throw speakers into the doors all the time on the factory amp and while it just makes the crappy stock sound more tolerable, I am ok with just a better stock sound when I have quality speakers just hanging around doing nothing. To be honest I wish I could just find how to get a full range signal. Even if I add a LC7i or similar, the signal would need to be artificially filled in to what the factory amp is screwing with. It's kinda stupid.

I don't even know what I should tap into when I add a sub because it seems like there's a debate if the sub signal is wide enough for a signal processor to fill in for the high end or if the fronts are enough of a low for it to sound good when filled in by the signal processor.

This is unnecessarily complex because of the stupid head unit outputting a digital signal that CAN'T BE TAPPED INTO.

OP
OP
KB3_FK8

KB3_FK8

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
From what I understand the front door output on the factory amp has a full signal. That's what I used to get a signal for my aftermarket sub and amp. :dunno:
So if it's getting a full signal, I should just be able to wire the door to the crossover.

I've combed through the forums and builds and I can't get a straight answer. Do you know of a thread to reference by chance? Also are you happy with your signal from the front doors going to your sub? It doesn't sound like the sub 100hz is muddy?

ManfromRI

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' CW Civic Type R
Country flag
I'm going to be doing this install too, as soon as it cools down here. Your going to need to use the front tweeter and front door signals and sum them together which would make a proper full range signal (there's a bunch of DSP's that do this.) then feed that into the amp/eq/x-over from there.

I can't find the thread, but it's online if you do some digging, someone Scoped every channel in the 12 speaker system and showed what frequencies each channel actually played. This is how they came to the conclusion to use the tweeter/door signals.

You can use just the door, but it won't cover as high in the Freq range (I believe)

Let us know how it goes

OP
OP
KB3_FK8

KB3_FK8

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
I'm going to be doing this install too, as soon as it cools down here. Your going to need to use the front tweeter and front door signals and sum them together which would make a proper full range signal (there's a bunch of DSP's that do this.) then feed that into the amp/eq/x-over from there.

I can't find the thread, but it's online if you do some digging, someone Scoped every channel in the 12 speaker system and showed what frequencies each channel actually played. This is how they came to the conclusion to use the tweeter/door signals.

You can use just the door, but it won't cover as high in the Freq range (I believe)

Let us know how it goes
This is good information. So if I sum the door and the tweet, does that cover the sub 100hz signal for a sub? Or do I use the LC2i (or similar) to bass correct the lost frequency? Trying to kill two birds with one stone here.

FifStreet

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So if it's getting a full signal, I should just be able to wire the door to the crossover.

I've combed through the forums and builds and I can't get a straight answer. Do you know of a thread to reference by chance? Also are you happy with your signal from the front doors going to your sub? It doesn't sound like the sub 100hz is muddy?
Try this thread and post
https://www.civicx.com/forum/thread...-front-stage-dsp-sub.44509/page-2#post-742041

And yes I'm happy with the signal. Glad I checked out this forum before I used the sub signal. I understand it's not a full signal.

OP
OP
KB3_FK8

KB3_FK8

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R
Country flag

ians

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FK8, 2004 TSX, 2011 A4 Avant, 2013 S5, 2019 718 GTS
Country flag
Hi, I am planning to upgrade the front door speakers with the JL Audio C2650. But I am confusing. So should I get the components set or should I get the C2 650x + 0.75 tweeter individually? If getting the components set that come with both the woofer, tweeter & crossover in the package, should I use that crossover? or just use the speakers and let the stock amp do the crossover job?
Sponsored