Wiring options for led switchback side marker

Syntek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Have these on my car. Had them on my 2016, and I believe it's illegal to have smoked side markers in california. Haven't been pulled over yet. I feel like the side markers are bright as fuck though but honestly even with them on, people seem to forget im next to them and have had multiple close calls on lane changers
Sponsored

Vic_L

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Have these on my car. Had them on my 2016, and I believe it's illegal to have smoked side markers in california. Haven't been pulled over yet. I feel like the side markers are bright as fuck though but honestly even with them on, people seem to forget im next to them and have had multiple close calls on lane changers
Oh boy...you get those people who have blind-spot detectors / sensors...and they don't even fucking use them.
Just merge into your lane anyways...pisses me off...I'm RIGHT next to you.
All you have to do is look out your driver-side window!

Syntek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Oh boy...you get those people who have blind-spot detectors / sensors...and they don't even fucking use them.
Pretty much. What's funny is that I can tell the side marker is literally lighting up their whole car from the side and they're still oblivious to the fact. I will say the switchback feature has definitely helped a lot with merging or trying to change lanes as it seems people are more courteous since they see a blinking light on the side that I'm trying to get over.

OP
OP
ladysi

ladysi

First Name
Andrea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si black sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Oh cool! Mirage 26-footer
Have you done much sailing before? Coastal / Inshore … Offshore? :)
Getting off topic now haha

Anyways, share pictures once you get those side markers installed!
Yeah, I have been crew on and off for 7 years. Great lakes (superior) aaaaaand MN river sailing. Mostly mid 20s boats, a few 4+ day trips, with night sailng under the moon on superior. I am finally gonna be a skipper!

I will indeed post pics. I may not get to it tonight, my girlfriend's dog is sick :(
So I may be in partner support mode instead of car mod mode.

OP
OP
ladysi

ladysi

First Name
Andrea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Pretty much. What's funny is that I can tell the side marker is literally lighting up their whole car from the side and they're still oblivious to the fact. I will say the switchback feature has definitely helped a lot with merging or trying to change lanes as it seems people are more courteous since they see a blinking light on the side that I'm trying to get over.
Seriously. I almost want to string up an led matrix across my back window that says "Solid object. Do not hit".

Though I have actually thought about doing that just to warn folk about ka band triggers and mock left lane campers when I finally get in front of them....

raf702

First Name
Ralf
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatch Sport SGP
Country flag
Sorry to bring up an older thread. But does anyone know if the switchback LED's for clear side markers, California legal?

mrturtle8088

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
Sorry to bring up an older thread. But does anyone know if the switchback LED's for clear side markers, California legal?
I have the smoked version and haven’t been pulled over and I’ve had cops next to me. The only reason I got smoked was because I felt the led would be too bright for other people next to you with the clear side marker

raf702

First Name
Ralf
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatch Sport SGP
Country flag
I have the smoked version and haven’t been pulled over and I’ve had cops next to me. The only reason I got smoked was because I felt the led would be too bright for other people next to you with the clear side marker
Good to know, since I was looking into the clear side marker. Since it matches better with my car than the smoked version. I wonder how bright the LED is with the clear version. Also reading the CA for equipment vehicle lighting.

CALIFORNIA Article 6; 25100

(1) At least one amber clearance lamp on each side mounted on a forward-facing portion of the vehicle and visible from the front and at least one red clearance lamp on each side mounted on a rearward-facing portion of the vehicle and visible from the rear.

(2) At least one amber side-marker lamp on each side near the front and at least one red side-marker lamp on each side near the rear.

Although switchback is both white & amber, it doesn't say about a constant amber light. And technically the switchback does have amber, but only when used as a turn signal. So the CA law is kind of vague with the side marker.

FK7Build

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
Alright, so I have these sitting around at home:

P.RA Compatible with 2016-2017 Honda Civic Smoked LED Front Side Marker Light - LED Turn Signal Housing Parking Light Replacement Lamp https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07641GFZ4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_n7aaDb5VT1RDQ
Screenshot_20190611-153105_Amazon Shopping.jpg

I also have a pair of these sitting around from my led reflector side by side review:

https://corsomotion.com/collections...cts/led-reflector-control-module-modules-pair
CM-MOD-REF-V1_grande.png

Now, considering the vague MN law below, I am not sure if white side markers are legal, usually any light visible from the side needs to be amber, but the law is written in a vague way as it assumes front markers are front facing. I have been looking for directional restrictions of light colors in the MN code but have not found any yet....

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/2011/cite/169.51

(b) Every such vehicle having a width, including load thereon, at any part in excess of 80 inches shall be equipped with four clearance lamps, two located on the front at opposite sides and not more than six inches from the extreme outer edge of the vehicle or load, displaying a white or amber light visible from a distance of 500 feet to the front of the vehicle, and two located on the rear on opposite sides not more than six inches from the extreme outer edge of the vehicle or load, displaying a red light visible from a distance of 500 feet to the rear of the vehicle. The front clearance lamps shall be located at a height of not less than 24 inches above the headlamp centers. The rear clearance lamps shall be in addition to the red rear lamp hereinbefore required.​

And it sounds like federal law requires amber side markers:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automotive_lighting#Side_marker_lights_and_reflectors

So, I figure my options are:

1. OEM: Swap the white and amber wires in the marker so that the amber light is on solid as per OEM behavior.

2. Default Switchback: wire up the white wire to the OEM plug and run the amber wire to a t-tap on the headlight flasher. This will be white solid with switchback amber turn signals. Unsure about the legality of this in MN.

3. Amber Only Switchback: this is more complicated as it will use the corsomotion reflector modules. I would wire up the markers amber wire to the control module, run the flasher wire from the module to the t-tap on the headlight flasher wire, and run the running light control module wire to the marker plug. This would always run amber solid, and flash amber for turn signals.

4. Brake + Amber Only Switchback: this would include all the functions and behaviors of #3 above, but also include a brighter amber for when the brakes are engaged. I figure I would need to find a brake circuit under the dash or in the engine compartment fuse box and wire that to the control module brake wire.

5. The Full Monty Amber + White Switchback: this would include everything from #3 and #4 above, but also use the markers white led wire for parking and reverse lights. This would require finding both the parking and reverse circuits under the dash or in the engine compartment and wiring them to a switching circuit and then finally to the white led reflector wire.

• Any input or thoughts about these options?
  • Anyone have law enforcement issues with running white side markers?
  • Finally, anyone know where I can find the extra circuits, preferably in the engine bay or under the dash if necessary? (brake, parking, reverse)

Cheers.
Did you ever find out if it's illegal for MN to have them be white during DRL? Any problems with the POPO if you did end up going that route?

OP
OP
ladysi

ladysi

First Name
Andrea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Did you ever find out if it's illegal for MN to have them be white during DRL? Any problems with the POPO if you did end up going that route?
Hey fellow Minnesotan! Stay warm this week :D

As far as I can tell from the MN law, white DRL markers are totally legal. They *must* be amber though when flashing for a turn signal. So the switchbacks should be just fine. I even asked the officer who wrote me my last speeding ticket in 2020 about it... Her response is that it is street legal as long as the turn signal switches to amber. So, do it!

MN Statute: https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/cite/169.51

(b) Every such vehicle having a width, including load thereon, at any part in excess of 80 inches shall be equipped with four clearance lamps, two located on the front at opposite sides and not more than six inches from the extreme outer edge of the vehicle or load, displaying a white or amber light visible from a distance of 500 feet to the front of the vehicle, and two located on the rear on opposite sides not more than six inches from the extreme outer edge of the vehicle or load, displaying a red light visible from a distance of 500 feet to the rear of the vehicle. The front clearance lamps shall be located at a height of not less than 24 inches above the headlamp centers. The rear clearance lamps shall be in addition to the red rear lamp hereinbefore required.​

FK7Build

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Hey fellow Minnesotan! Stay warm this week :D

As far as I can tell from the MN law, white DRL markers are totally legal. They *must* be amber though when flashing for a turn signal. So the switchbacks should be just fine. I even asked the officer who wrote me my last speeding ticket in 2020 about it... Her response is that it is street legal as long as the turn signal switches to amber. So, do it!

MN Statute: https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/cite/169.51

Thanks for the update. I’m ready for more cold! Other than all the plastic clips I’ve been breaking during the cold. Where’d you get the ticket?

OP
OP
ladysi

ladysi

First Name
Andrea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks for the update. I’m ready for more cold! Other than all the plastic clips I’ve been breaking during the cold. Where’d you get the ticket?
494 near west st paul. I am well aware of the speed trap at the 35E cloverleaf, but I was jamming to music and got lasered 10mph over. Jerks. such a small violation is embarrassing....

Maybe I should invest in lidar jamming gear....

FK7Build

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
494 near west st paul. I am well aware of the speed trap at the 35E cloverleaf, but I was jamming to music and got lasered 10mph over. Jerks. such a small violation is embarrassing....

Maybe I should invest in lidar jamming gear....
Wow. Didn’t think they still pull over for that little. I was thinking about some light upgrades and was wondering if you’ve read any laws requiring reflectors? Like in the headlight housing or those rear ones on the hatch. Going for a smoked/blacked out look and was curious. Going to install super bright lights for at night but black stands out more during the day so thought I could use that train of thought.

OP
OP
ladysi

ladysi

First Name
Andrea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Wow. Didn’t think they still pull over for that little. I was thinking about some light upgrades and was wondering if you’ve read any laws requiring reflectors? Like in the headlight housing or those rear ones on the hatch. Going for a smoked/blacked out look and was curious. Going to install super bright lights for at night but black stands out more during the day so thought I could use that train of thought.
yeah, my car gets unwanted attention from the fuzz, so any speed over is begging to get a ticket - also my driving record is bad enough where they pull me over for any infraction anyways.

Reflectors are "technically required" by the law, but I changed my rear reflectors to smoked led ones with no issues. I bet the same would apply to the front headlight housing reflectors.

See: https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/cite/169.50

On and after January 1, 1960, each new motor vehicle, trailer, or semitrailer, hereafter sold and each such vehicle hereafter operated on a highway, shall carry at the rear either as a part of the rear lamp, or separately, at least two reflectors. The reflectors shall be of a type approved by the commissioner of public safety and shall be mounted as close as is practicable to the extreme edges of the vehicle at a height not more than 60, nor less than 20 inches above the surface upon which the vehicle stands. Each such reflector shall be so designed and maintained as to be visible at night from all distances within 300 to 50 feet from the vehicle, except that on a commercial vehicle the reflectors shall be visible from all distances within 500 to 50 feet from the vehicle, when directly in front of a motor vehicle displaying lawfully lighted headlamps
And this is the MN definition of reflector (so technically leds don't cut it): https://www.revisor.mn.gov/rules/7425.0110/

"Reflex reflector" means a lighting device used on vehicles to indicate a vehicle's presence to an approaching driver by reflecting the light from the headlamps of the approaching vehicle. This device may use a system of cube corners or, as a side marker only, a system of lens-mirror reflexes.​
By letter of the law, leds don't reflect incoming light, so they are a violation of the statute. But by spirit of the law, if you have lit led reflector replacements, no cop will care and you will still be visible from the side.

Requisite "I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice" liability cover my ass disclaimer.

FK7Build

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
yeah, my car gets unwanted attention from the fuzz, so any speed over is begging to get a ticket - also my driving record is bad enough where they pull me over for any infraction anyways.

Reflectors are "technically required" by the law, but I changed my rear reflectors to smoked led ones with no issues. I bet the same would apply to the front headlight housing reflectors.

See: https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/cite/169.50

On and after January 1, 1960, each new motor vehicle, trailer, or semitrailer, hereafter sold and each such vehicle hereafter operated on a highway, shall carry at the rear either as a part of the rear lamp, or separately, at least two reflectors. The reflectors shall be of a type approved by the commissioner of public safety and shall be mounted as close as is practicable to the extreme edges of the vehicle at a height not more than 60, nor less than 20 inches above the surface upon which the vehicle stands. Each such reflector shall be so designed and maintained as to be visible at night from all distances within 300 to 50 feet from the vehicle, except that on a commercial vehicle the reflectors shall be visible from all distances within 500 to 50 feet from the vehicle, when directly in front of a motor vehicle displaying lawfully lighted headlamps
And this is the MN definition of reflector (so technically leds don't cut it): https://www.revisor.mn.gov/rules/7425.0110/

"Reflex reflector" means a lighting device used on vehicles to indicate a vehicle's presence to an approaching driver by reflecting the light from the headlamps of the approaching vehicle. This device may use a system of cube corners or, as a side marker only, a system of lens-mirror reflexes.​
By letter of the law, leds don't reflect incoming light, so they are a violation of the statute. But by spirit of the law, if you have lit led reflector replacements, no cop will care and you will still be visible from the side.

Requisite "I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice" liability cover my ass disclaimer.

Thanks for the info. That’s what I came across as well. Interestingly it doesn’t say anything about having to be seen during night or day so that’s pretty weird. Thanks for the replies!
Sponsored