JustinGuh3

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
So I recently purchased a 2020 civic hatchback sport touring edition. I also purchased the LEDGlow interior light kit. A feature it has is the courtesy light. This feature is available once you install your kit with the white wire connected to the dome light trigger. The problem I am having is that I have searched multiple sites and the interwebs and I find different color wires that people are taping into. Anyone with a 2020 that can help me figure out what wire under the dash I should tap into?
Sponsored

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe. 2000 Honda Prelude (donated to charity).
Country flag
Which kit did you purchase? Don't they usually come with instructions?

OP
OP

JustinGuh3

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Which kit did you purchase? Don't they usually come with instructions?
I purchased the LEDGlow million color SMD LED interior lighting kit with smartphone control

https://www.ledunderbody.com/million-color-smd-led-interior-lighting-kit-with-smartphone-control/

They do come with instructions but its vague since it is not vehicle specific. It just says, " This feature is available once you install your kit with the white wire connected to the dome light trigger. "
I asked the company and they said they do not have vehicle specific wiring diagrams and couldn't tell me. One option is to connect to the door post trigger but that will only work for that one door.

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The Civic courtesy lights are Active Low so you need to set the "Courtesy Switch Type" to GND in the app.

Here's the courtesy light schematic. https://github.com/JW0914/Wikis/blob/master/Automotive/FK8 CTR/Electrical/Schematics/Lighting/(Interior) Courtesy 1.pdf

You need to tap the Ceiling Light Green (or is it Yellow? another doc I had had it labelled as Yellow) Wire. If you can't see the Green Wire, then you can find it using a DMM. Basically, if you set the switch to Auto/Door, the Green will read 12V with all doors closed and < 0.2V when any door is opened.

You could also tap it from the map light if your map lights light up when the door opens. I think that wire is Yellow.

According to the schematic above, I think (pretty sure) that Green Wire is also wired to the 6-pin option connector showed below. Schematic shows pin 5 Purple. Not sure if this is accurate. Maybe someone can chime in on this. And you could also find it using a DMM the same way as above.

I know they sell the plug for the 6-pin connector on ebay.

This diagram was copied from the instruction for the 2020 for this product https://www.collegehillshonda.com/2...oupe-interior-accessories/08E16-TBA-100B.html.

Honda Civic 10th gen Wiring help 1609224442713

Last edited:
OP
OP

JustinGuh3

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The Civic courtesy lights are Active Low so you need to set the "Courtesy Switch Type" to GND in the app.

Here's the courtesy light schematic. https://github.com/JW0914/Wikis/blob/master/Automotive/FK8 CTR/Electrical/Schematics/Lighting/(Interior) Courtesy 1.pdf

You need to tap the Ceiling Light Green (or is it Yellow? another doc I had had it labelled as Yellow) Wire. If you can't see the Green Wire, then you can find it using a DMM. Basically, if you set the switch to Auto/Door, the Green will read 12V with all doors closed and < 0.2V when any door is opened.

You could also tap it from the map light if your map lights light up when the door opens. I think that wire is Yellow.

According to the schematic above, I think (pretty sure) that Green Wire is also wired to the 6-pin option connector showed below. Schematic shows pin 5 Purple. Not sure if this is accurate. Maybe someone can chime in on this. And you could also find it using a DMM the same way as above.

This diagram was copied from the instruction for the 2020 for this product https://www.collegehillshonda.com/2...oupe-interior-accessories/08E16-TBA-100B.html.

1609224442713.png
Not sure what the 6 pin connector is that you are referring to (pardon my ignorance) but this is just one wire I have to connect. If you are just using it as a reference to where I may be able to find a wire to tap into, then thank you. The wire colors appear to be different. I am at work and not near my vehicle to see at the moment. I know when I was putting in after market tail lights, the installation guide and videos were referring to colored wires and my wires were all gray and black so I'm not sure. I am still new to this so I appreciate your patience and help.

xRiCeBoYx

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Hatchback CVT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

1609224442713.png
To get the effect OP wants (footwell lighting coming on with door lights), he'd have to grab power from pin 6 and ground out to pin 5. Pin 6 to chassis would give you power to that circuit when the headlights are on. I was actually looking at using that connector for my LED footwell lighting and that was my understanding.

Was actually talking to him about this on another forum, but he has a fusetap for main power source (red), ground to chassis (black), and trying to figure out how to make it work with door lights to use the courtesy light feature.

My only other idea is to run a wire up the A pillar, across the headliner, and to the dome light and tap that for the door light trigger.

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
To get the effect OP wants (footwell lighting coming on with door lights), he'd have to grab power from pin 6 and ground out to pin 5. Pin 6 to chassis would give you power to that circuit when the headlights are on. I was actually looking at using that connector for my LED footwell lighting and that was my understanding.

Was actually talking to him about this on another forum, but he has a fusetap for main power source (red), ground to chassis (black), and trying to figure out how to make it work with door lights to use the courtesy light feature.

My only other idea is to run a wire up the A pillar, across the headliner, and to the dome light and tap that for the door light trigger.
Hmm... Tap the headlight on signal? So does it mean his footlights would turn on whenever the headlights are turned on? EDIT: I guess this isn't a bad idea if you always leave the headlights in AUTO.

And the pins you quoted, are they in the 6-pin option connector or are they in the fuse box?

But yeah no, no, no, don't run a wire up the A-Pillar unless you really need to because you'll be messing with the airbags. I'm almost 100% certain the dome light on signal is also wired to the 6-pin option connector just below the fuse box.

Last edited:

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Not sure what the 6 pin connector is that you are referring to (pardon my ignorance) but this is just one wire I have to connect. If you are just using it as a reference to where I may be able to find a wire to tap into, then thank you. The wire colors appear to be different. I am at work and not near my vehicle to see at the moment. I know when I was putting in after market tail lights, the installation guide and videos were referring to colored wires and my wires were all gray and black so I'm not sure. I am still new to this so I appreciate your patience and help.
Here you go. the 6-pin connector is the highlighted small white one just below the fuse box. Pretty sure the dome on signal is wired to one of the pin there. And pretty sure you can get the plug from ebay. Just be aware, that signal is Active Low. Which means, when the dome light on SIGNAL is activated, it measures 0V and when deactivated, 12V. You just have to find out which pin it is wired to.

I grabbed that picture from here https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/led-footwell-lights.2108/

Honda Civic 10th gen Wiring help 1609261653118

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Ok so I found the pin-out for the 6-pin connector https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/vehicle-6-pin-connector.20774/. Not sure how accurate the information is. From that diagram, you would need to wire your courtesy light input wire to Pin-5 Purple-Interior Light- and set the "Courtesy Switch Type" to GND.

However, I do have to warn you just to cover my ass in case you blame me for blowing your car's computer. When you connect your courtesy light input wire to that pin (interior light-), all the interior lights circuits will be complete through your "courtesy light" input wire. This means there will be constant current draw, will be miniscule if designed properly, while your car is ON. When the car is off for 15 minutes, the car's computer will shut off that circuit so no worry when parked over-night. This is normally ok if the LED lights are designed properly after all that's how the Honda OEM LED lighting strip tapping into. I think if you want to go ahead with this, you should at least make sure your courtesy light input wire doesn't output a voltage. So before you wire it up, turn the LED glow lights on, turn on the courtesy light feature on in the app, set it to GND type, and measure the voltage of the "courtesy light" input wire respect to ground. If it's 0V, then you're probably ok. Otherwise, I'm not sure.

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If you do plan on connecting your "Courtesy Light" input to the "Interior Light-" pin-5, make sure you verify the LEDGlow lights stays off after about 30 minutes after you shut off the car and let it sat idle. Because, the car turns off the interior light power lines after 15 minutes of sat in OFF and I'm not sure if your LEDGlow lights' design is compatible with the Honda's.

OP
OP

JustinGuh3

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If you do plan on connecting your "Courtesy Light" input to the "Interior Light-" pin-5, make sure you verify the LEDGlow lights stays off after about 30 minutes after you shut off the car and let it sat idle. Because, the car turns off the interior light power lines after 15 minutes of sat in OFF and I'm not sure if your LEDGlow lights' design is compatible with the Honda's.
Yeah, as soon as the car is turned off, the led lights turn off. I'm assuming that the courtesy light will only come on when the wire is connected for the same time period as the interior light. It will definitely take some trial and error to make sure everything is working fine.

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yeah, as soon as the car is turned off, the led lights turn off. I'm assuming that the courtesy light will only come on when the wire is connected for the same time period as the interior light. It will definitely take some trial and error to make sure everything is working fine.
You're not using the courtesy feature now correct? And your LEDs are off when you shut the car off? How are you powering the LED now?

OP
OP

JustinGuh3

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You're not using the courtesy feature now correct? And your LEDs are off when you shut the car off? How are you powering the LED now?
Correct, I am not using the feature now and theLEDs are off when I shut the car off. The LED lights have a control box. Coming out of that is a red wire (connected to a fuse tap and plugged in that fuse panel under the dash), a black wire (grounded to the car), and the white wire (this is used to tap in for the courtesy light feature).

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Correct, I am not using the feature now and theLEDs are off when I shut the car off. The LED lights have a control box. Coming out of that is a red wire (connected to a fuse tap and plugged in that fuse panel under the dash), a black wire (grounded to the car), and the white wire (this is used to tap in for the courtesy light feature).
Right. Do you know which power rail the Red Wire is connected to? I'm asking because if the LEDs are only powered when the car is ON, then I'm not sure they will turn on when you open the door. Because if you think about it, the LEDs are not powered yet when you open the door. I think the White Wire is only a signal line and not a power line.
Sponsored