Szimmerman_

First Name
Samantha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic touring
Country flag
Does anyone know how to repair this themselves? My Honda dealership said it’s only wiring that needs to be done. Thanks!

Honda Civic 10th gen Wires chewed by rodents A29090B0-A9DC-4DF0-9B2B-42223276639D
Sponsored

fk8ronny

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
I'm not a wiring expert so I can't help (wish you the best of luck though), but quick question, how did that happen? Rodents live around your area?

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
Honda might sell the terminals and connectors (if you dont plan on reusing the connector) and a you'll need a crimp tool.

If you want to reuse the connector, you can buy tools on amazon to remove the stuck terminals from the connector.

OP
OP

Szimmerman_

First Name
Samantha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic touring
Country flag
I'm not a wiring expert so I can't help (wish you the best of luck though), but quick question, how did that happen? Rodents live around your area?
Yeah it’s the second time it has happened. I paid $300 for Honda to fix it the first time.

OP
OP

Szimmerman_

First Name
Samantha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic touring
Country flag
Honda might sell the terminals and connectors (if you dont plan on reusing the connector) and a you'll need a crimp tool.

If you want to reuse the connector, you can buy tools on amazon to remove the stuck terminals from the connector.
If I reuse the connector would you just remove all the stuck terminals and then would you be able to just put new wire in? Thanks so much

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
If I reuse the connector would you just remove all the stuck terminals and then would you be able to just put new wire in? Thanks so much
yep use a terminal removal tool you can get on amazon, get the proper new terminals from honda, strip the wire (if necessary), crimp on terminals, insert terminals into connector. they should snap and lock in.

OP
OP

Szimmerman_

First Name
Samantha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic touring
Country flag
yep use a terminal removal tool you can get on amazon, get the proper new terminals from honda, strip the wire (if necessary), crimp on terminals, insert terminals into connector. they should snap and lock in.
Thanks!!

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
People have said honda has covered this issue for them before. The wire coating is like soy based and attracts rodents. It’s a common issue

fk8ronny

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
People have said honda has covered this issue for them before. The wire coating is like soy based and attracts rodents. It’s a common issue
Interesting, I never knew that. I've seen some rodent droppings in the engine bay several months ago (thankfully nothing was damaged). Now I know why there are signs of rodents in the first place

martindtjr

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Vehicle(s)
TYPE R 19, Sienna XLE15, Xa 06, Camry 92
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Interesting, I never knew that. I've seen some rodent droppings in the engine bay several months ago (thankfully nothing was damaged). Now I know why there are signs of rodents in the first place
Thanks for the reminder!! I'll check our Toyota Sienna. It's parked outside.

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag

CPA1989

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I feel for you. Rodents have done that to me on two different occasions on my other vehicles. Really irritating couple hundred dollar fix each time.

No idea on how to fix the wires though...sorry.

blitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Rodents hate the scent of peppermint oil. You can try mixing a blend of water and peppermint oil in a sprayer, and then spraying the wiring and areas allowing entry to the rodents.

Carfax mentions this as well:
Honda Civic 10th gen Wires chewed by rodents bAgecC6

Cavayo

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Country flag

Exactly. same thing happened to me when had my Z-28. Way back. Car would not start ?? Fairly New Vehicle. Fuel injection wires Eaten up ? found out a huge RAT ?
was the culprit. Big Rat trap took care of it .

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
i would definitely invest in rat/mouse traps and even put them under the hood to keep dogs and cats from nuisance tripping them. Use peanut butter-just a dab. It's like crack cocaine.
Sponsored