Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Wireless Charger Install 033

Tool of choice to help remove trim!
Honda Civic 10th gen Wireless Charger Install 009

This is where we are going to be working.

Honda Civic 10th gen Wireless Charger Install 025

After inserting the tool, you will firmly twist it til the clip is released. After releasing, use your hands to tug upward til all 4 clips are released. The procedure is the exact same for the other side.

Honda Civic 10th gen Wireless Charger Install 024

After removing the trim, you want to remove these phillip head screw that hold the trim around the shifter.

Honda Civic 10th gen Wireless Charger Install 022

After removing the screws, you can use the trim tool to pry up around the shifter trim. The trim easily releases and stays in place around the shifter.

Honda Civic 10th gen Wireless Charger Install 021

It will look like this, There is no need to unplug any connectors. Also the shifter is moved back to help access the panel we are wanting to get to. The shifter can be moved by inserting a key or screwdriver into the port located inside the center console above the USB media port.

Honda Civic 10th gen Wireless Charger Install 020

The panel is easily removed by using your hand to firmly push up from the bottom. Several clips will release and then the panel comes out.

Honda Civic 10th gen Wireless Charger Install 010

After the panel is removed, you can see that there is space for any excess cable to be hid. More on this later..

Honda Civic 10th gen Wireless Charger Install 012

Now the fun begins.. I am using the Anker wireless charger for this project and is a perfect fit for this application. I bought this for around $13 and have had no issues.

Honda Civic 10th gen Wireless Charger Install 046

Honda Civic 10th gen Wireless Charger Install 019

To open the Anker, there are 4 screws hidden underneath the rubber padding on the bottom. Then on the inside, there are 2 screws securing the board.

Honda Civic 10th gen Wireless Charger Install 015

From here, you want to align the charging coil paying attention to where the power will be connected.. This is preference, i chose this position so that the cable would run straight back.. I also measured where the center would be, in this case it was 1.5in depth from the front by 3.5in measured width. this allows the coil to be centered with the coil in the phone. This will be the case for most applications. Im also using flush cuts to trim the material for a smooth finish.

Honda Civic 10th gen Wireless Charger Install 016

Your result should be like this, We want the coil to sit against the plastic.. This will ensure we get an adequate connection.

Honda Civic 10th gen Wireless Charger Install 029

Here i used hot glue to hold everything in place.. Some in the center hole and some on the corners areas.. holds perfectly.

Honda Civic 10th gen Wireless Charger Install 027

Here, i used the flush cuts to make a notch for the cable to slide into, Now, if you want , look back at picture 8.. the one i said we would get back to, this is where you can add an additional notch that will align with this one so that the cable can be hid away into space under the panel. Easy Peasy!! I found that double sided tape sticks better, the hot glue doesn't stick as well to the pcb board. The glue works, but, some gorilla double sided tape holds better.

Honda Civic 10th gen Wireless Charger Install 028

I then did a test run to ensure everything was working properly!

Honda Civic 10th gen Wireless Charger Install 037

Putting it back into the vehicle, it is completely invisible and works flawlessly..

Honda Civic 10th gen Wireless Charger Install 030

I used a 5v- 2.1A power adapter. The brand can vary as long as it has a 2.1A output.. this allows the wireless charger to function properly.. Some application will come with an adapter but don't pay too much..

Honda Civic 10th gen Wireless Charger Install 032

Here you can see the phone wirelessly charging

Honda Civic 10th gen Wireless Charger Install 036

And when taken off the panel it turns off..
This project took roughly an hour or so, based on skill set, and is a simple and easy upgrade for anyone looking to add a little tech to there car. Hope this helps some of my DIY peoples.. God Bless!!

Last edited:

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
I’m not sure how I feel about this. If you really want to save a couple hundred bucks, more power to ya. I’ve installed an OEM charger on an LX a couple years ago. I can’t speak for longevity of the OEM charger, I traded that car in for an Si. I do know that these cheap puck chargers from Amazon are cheap for a reason.

I can say that I do not think the OEM charger is worth it if you have the infotainment with apple carplay/android auto. You have to plug your phone in every time you use it to begin with, so whats the point if it is always charging via a cable. If you have a lower trim or sport that has the basic stereo with no carplay, it’s a fantastic feature to have.

Daniel644

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T Sedan, 2003 Trailblazer LS, 1999 Pontiac Firebird
Country flag
Might I suggest adding a "DIY" tag to the thread title? Me being new here I saw the title and it had me thinking it might be possible to swap in the OEM part from one that had the factory wireless charging. Speaking of which can that be done?

Siqc Cafe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring, 2000 Celica GT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This is GREAAAT!!!
No wires, just place it onto that area and charge, can't get any better, plus it doesn't have all the annoying print text info like the oem.
This is the stealth version. Good Job Mike.

btw ANKER is a good brand, so good choice

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Civic_Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I’m not sure how I feel about this. If you really want to save a couple hundred bucks, more power to ya. I’ve installed an OEM charger on an LX a couple years ago. I can’t speak for longevity of the OEM charger, I traded that car in for an Si. I do know that these cheap puck chargers from Amazon are cheap for a reason.

I can say that I do not think the OEM charger is worth it if you have the infotainment with apple carplay/android auto. You have to plug your phone in every time you use it to begin with, so whats the point if it is always charging via a cable. If you have a lower trim or sport that has the basic stereo with no carplay, it’s a fantastic feature to have.
Anker is actually a very reputable company. I have a lot of their battery packs and chargers myself.

tdurham19

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic sport hatch
Country flag
This is exactly what I want to do. The OEM charger is way over priced. Do you need an adapter or can you plug it straight into a USB?

OP
OP
Bittle35

Bittle35

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
This is exactly what I want to do. The OEM charger is way over priced. Do you need an adapter or can you plug it straight into a USB?
Most usb only have a 1A output, better to have the adapter with 2.1A for faster charging.. With that said, a 1A may work but it would be slower.

AlphaMoose67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘17 Civic LX
Country flag
I’d bet my next paycheck the technology/materials used in that Anker charger is on par if not superior to the stuff that’s in the OEM charger.

That’s like saying the dealership does better work on your car just because they charge more.

Daniel644

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Most usb only have a 1A output, better to have the adapter with 2.1A for faster charging.. With that said, a 1A may work but it would be slower.
you'll want the higher output, even a thick case on a phone is enough to drastically reduce the efficiency of wireless charging. the guy I do work for was telling me yesterday he put his new Iphone 11 on his new wireless charger and it only charged up like 30% over the whole night. The likely culprit, the THICK case on the phone, there is a massive drop off in wireless charging the further you get away from the base, which I assume you know since you took the time to get the induction loop as close as possible to where the phone will be.

OP
OP
Bittle35

Bittle35

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
you'll want the higher output, even a thick case on a phone is enough to drastically reduce the efficiency of wireless charging. the guy I do work for was telling me yesterday he put his new Iphone 11 on his new wireless charger and it only charged up like 30% over the whole night. The likely culprit, the THICK case on the phone, there is a massive drop off in wireless charging the further you get away from the base, which I assume you know since you took the time to get the induction loop as close as possible to where the phone will be.
I can see if you have a thick otter box case how it may interrupt things, I have a thin plastic one on mine but charging has been adequate..

tdurham19

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic sport hatch
Country flag
Ok so you can leave everything plugged into the adapter in the cigarette outlet when the car is off and it won’t drain your car battery?

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
I’d bet my next paycheck the technology/materials used in that Anker charger is on par if not superior to the stuff that’s in the OEM charger.

That’s like saying the dealership does better work on your car just because they charge more.
It’s possible. I know I just haven’t had one of those similar chargers last more than like 6months before it took a crap. The OEM charger worked like it did on day 1 after a year of use. Also fits the car.

is it overpriced? Absolutely100%. Is it worth paying that price for the OEM fit and finish? Depends on how much fitment means to you.

Daniel644

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yes, the power adapter only has power with the car on.
I'd be careful leaving things plugged into the port all the time, back when I had my 95 Civic (Keep in mind this was fresh out of highschool and the first Fast and Furious had just come out the year before) I had a Power Inverter wired to the Cigarette Lighter to power the PS2 I had installed under my passenger seat (with the screen in the glove box), if I had that inverter switched on when I cranked the car it would start making this high pitched wine until I turned it off, pretty sure a small surge goes through that circuit when the car cranks and that might cause damage long term to anything plugged into it. I don't know if this holds true on modern cars, but I know it was a thing on my 95.

OP
OP
Bittle35

Bittle35

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
This has the correct 3.0A to use the quick charge function of this wireless charger.. In case you want more charging power..
Honda Civic 10th gen Wireless Charger Install Screenshot_20190930-141423
Sponsored