Wireless CarPlay??

elykoj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic
Country flag
I have tried CarLink and now OttoCast and both I have same issues with. It connects and plays but when I shut car off to do whatever and start car back up, CarPlay launches and it shows song is playing but no sound. I have to unplug from the USB port and plug in and then it works. Amazon or the Chinese manufacturers can’t seem to help me. Anyone get these to work or is there another option out there??
Sponsored

ShuJam

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Touring Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have a Carlinkit 2.0, and it works great. Some of the early firmware was a bit buggy (occasional random disconnect or freeze), but they finally got it right a year or so ago and it has been near flawless since. There is a Carlinkit 3.0 out now, which supposedly connects faster upon start up.

OP
OP

elykoj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic
Country flag

LuDawg94

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic EX 1.5T (CVT) Sedan
Country flag
Rather than create a whole new thread I’ll share this article from 9To5Mac where the reviewer is using a Carlink adapter on their 2017 Civic and iPhone running iOS17 without much issues also looks like the adapter is on sale with a coupon going for around $46+ tax w/ prime shipping…. Not sure if I’ll bite there’s times where I don’t need my phone charging but wouldn’t mind using CarPlay other than just having my phone a a air vent holder but I am also thinking of getting another car not soon but in the near future as Family is growing https://9to5mac.com/2023/08/02/carplay-wireless-carplay-adapter/

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Rather than create a whole new thread I’ll share this article from 9To5Mac where the reviewer is using a Carlink adapter on their 2017 Civic and iPhone running iOS17 without much issues also looks like the adapter is on sale with a coupon going for around $46+ tax w/ prime shipping…. Not sure if I’ll bite there’s times where I don’t need my phone charging but wouldn’t mind using CarPlay other than just having my phone a a air vent holder but I am also thinking of getting another car not soon but in the near future as Family is growing https://9to5mac.com/2023/08/02/carplay-wireless-carplay-adapter/
Just beware, for everyone interested in using CarPlay, the ONLY EQ you can use is that built into the head unit, and it’s not that great. I had this for a while, and went back to BLE because I can use Viper4Android, which is amazing. The iPhone Music EQ does not activate when using CarPlay.

If you care about sound quality, CarPlay use in these vehicles is not the way to go. Just FYI.

lightthief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Civic Touring
Country flag
Just beware, for everyone interested in using CarPlay, the ONLY EQ you can use is that built into the head unit, and it’s not that great. I had this for a while, and went back to BLE because I can use Viper4Android, which is amazing. The iPhone Music EQ does not activate when using CarPlay.

If you care about sound quality, CarPlay use in these vehicles is not the way to go. Just FYI.
I'd give the opposite FYI honestly.
BLE is by definition compressed and sounds worse that CarPlay, which is is wireless.

But audio quality is highly subjective. If you're happier that way, great. But from a sheerly technical perspective you are not getting better audio quality.

Also, hondahack is an additional expense and requires some base level of technical knowhow and willingness to futz with your headhunt which isn't the right move for everyone.

The wireless CarPlay units are essentially plug and play.

Plus the stock speakers are crap no matter how you tweak the equalizer anyway.

But to each their own.

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'd give the opposite FYI honestly.
BLE is by definition compressed and sounds worse that CarPlay, which is is wireless.

But audio quality is highly subjective. If you're happier that way, great. But from a sheerly technical perspective you are not getting better audio quality.

Also, hondahack is an additional expense and requires some base level of technical knowhow and willingness to futz with your headhunt which isn't the right move for everyone.

The wireless CarPlay units are essentially plug and play.

Plus the stock speakers are crap no matter how you tweak the equalizer anyway.

But to each their own.
Good points!

V4A works wonders, far leap from CarPlay quality.

I have upgraded speakers, but V4A’s algorithms still work magic on those crappy speakers.

MrWaYne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X 1.5L CVT Sport Plus
Country flag
Honda Premium speakers are pretty good (neodymium magnet even).
but they are badly EQ'd by default (Honda). those speakers are ruined by a software mess.

with Viper4Android they sound like a completely new system. Alternatively you can install a DSP and it will sound even better.
Sponsored