Wireless Carplay Dongle Is Available For Civic

rplush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
Country flag
So there are 2 versions that can possibly work with our head units. One requires an APK to be installed and can be plugged into any USB ports in the car, the other works natively with the head units built in CarPlay app and can only be plugged in only in the USB port near the driver side. So to find out if it worked, I ordered both versions.

I've just got the one that requires the AutoKit.apk because it was prime eligible and it's not bad. Latest firmware installed. I'm waiting for the one that sends data to the built in carplay unit ($180 version) to come in the mail to test that out. Will update once it comes in
Sponsored

MannyP

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
So there are 2 versions that can possibly work with our head units. One requires an APK to be installed and can be plugged into any USB ports in the car, the other works natively with the head units built in CarPlay app and can only be plugged in only in the USB port near the driver side. So to find out if it worked, I ordered both versions.

I've just got the one that requires the AutoKit.apk because it was prime eligible and it's not bad. Latest firmware installed. I'm waiting for the one that sends data to the built in carplay unit ($180 version) to come in the mail to test that out. Will update once it comes in
looking forward to your review.
thanks for being our guinea pig.

OP
OP

roth91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
I look forward to your review! Looking for something simple that I can just plug in and work without having to install an APK. I have been saying for years that a wireless CarPlay aftermarket dongle should be invented. Glad to see people are starting to come out with them.

dgd3322

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Sport Touring Hatchback
Country flag
Not OP, but I also purchased the $180 version of this adapter to see if it works. It came in today, and unfortunately it does not work with my car. The seller did warn me it might not connect, but did say that firmware updates are coming and may resolve this issue. Looks like they released new firmware earlier in the week so I am currently waiting to get ahold of that so I can try it running the newer firmware. Will update if I can get it to work.

Last edited:

lightthief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Civic Touring
Country flag
Not OP, but I also purchased the $180 version of this adapter to see if it works. It came in today, and unfortunately it does not work with my car. The seller did warn me it might not connect, but did say that firmware updates are coming and may resolve this issue. Looks like they released new firmware earlier in the week so I am currently waiting to get ahold of that so I can try it running the newer firmware. Will update if I can get it to work.
Doesn’t the Amazon link specifically not show Honda as a compatible car?

dgd3322

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Doesn’t the Amazon link specifically not show Honda as a compatible car?
When I purchased it it had Honda listed in one of the pictures. They changed the post after I ordered it unfortunately.

dgd3322

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Got it working without the firmware update, Theres a boot up screen that had a "mode:1" option in the top right corner of the screen when you first start it up. I didn't realize that was a button you could cycle. once I got it set to mode:3 it works. no apk or anything needed. after its set up it starts up with the car (it does take about 20 seconds to actually connect, but I don't care as long as it works!)

OP
OP

roth91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
Got it working without the firmware update, Theres a boot up screen that had a "mode:1" option in the top right corner of the screen when you first start it up. I didn't realize that was a button you could cycle. once I got it set to mode:3 it works. no apk or anything needed. after its set up it starts up with the car (it does take about 20 seconds to actually connect, but I don't care as long as it works!)
Where did you get it from? And keep us updated on how well it works.

dgd3322

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Amazon (this is the same link rplush posed in early September). It's the $178 version. and will keep you updated for sure! There is also a $60 coupon the Honey browser extension found so if you plan on buying one make sure you install that first!

OP
OP

roth91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
So you just plug it in and it works? Where do you select mode 3? On the car radio?

dgd3322

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So you just plug it in and it works? Where do you select mode 3? On the car radio?
For the most part yes. once you plug it in and give it a second to register, the smartphone connection icon on the infotainment screen will switch over to a CarPlay icon, and if you select it there is a loading screen with Chinese (I think its Chinese anyway) text that pops up and in the upper right corner of that screen there is a mode selector button. It boots up first time in Mode 1, but if you touch it will cycle through all 3 modes. Mode 1 and 2 yield a black screen and no audio and it boots you out of CarPlay. Mode 3 boots CarPlay up with no issue. Before CarPlay will show up though, you do need to pair your phone to the dongle, which kinda goes without saying, I think anyway. That process was a bit difficult because I had to try pairing to it multiple times before it would actually connect through bluetooth. But after thats sorted out it boots up after about 20 seconds max with out having to do anything but start your car. The only drawback is that the steering wheel left and right buttons won't switch songs (in my car anyway), but honestly that's not a deal breaker for me, especially since I'm fairly confident that that can be fixed with a firmware update from the manufacturer, and I plan to reach out and let them know so they can try to fix it in the future.

The only other issue I had was very infrequent skips in audio. I drove for about two hours today playing music the entire time and any noticed it a handful of times, and even then it was a fraction of a fraction of a second. Just enough to notice, but not enough to make me want to return it. I've seen reviews on amazon where people claim it skips like a scratched CD, but for me it was nowhere near that bad. Not sure if thats another firmware issue, or if thats caused by limitations in the headhunts processing power itself, but I have also heard that aftermarket head units with native wireless CarPlay do the same thing so I'm leaning towards it being part of wireless CarPlay for now at least.

OP
OP

roth91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
Thanks for the information. I may buy it and if I have problems I will let you know. The steering wheel control is not an issue. I never switch songs with it.

dgd3322

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks for the information. I may buy it and if I have problems I will let you know. The steering wheel control is not an issue. I never switch songs with it.
Same here, I'm talking with the manufacturer about it now, hopefully I can get it solved. I use them sometimes but not often enough for it to bother me too much. Sounds good, hope it works out well for you!
Sponsored