Warpspeed

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Evo8, EF Civic Si, and 2020 CW Civic Type R
Country flag
Hey guys and gals. I was wondering if anybody here uses an Android Auto wireless adapter and which one? I am getting tired of plugging and unplugging my phone. Thanks.
Sponsored

CTR_FTW

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R #30909
Country flag
i've been using the Motorola MA1 since just after it released and it's almost flawless. You get a skip every once in a while while listening to Spotify or something like that but other than that and the fact that wireless CHEWS through battery it's PERFECT.

DAVEEVAD

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Sport Hatch
Country flag
I've been using the AAWireless dongle since Feb. I like it... It is, mostly, perfect. Buying from the Kickstarter took a long time to ship. $$ in Nov '21, arrived in Feb '22.
Pros:
I love the wireless connectivity! It connects within 20ish seconds (Galaxy Note 9). The audio quality, using Spotify mostly, is as good as wired AA on factory speakers & aftermarket 12" sub. Another cool feature is that the app lets you define the output resolution so that it forces Waze & Spotify to display side by side. This lets you view album art/info while viewing the map.

Cons:
1st...nothing here has pained me enough to want to go back to wired.
Maybe 1/50 - 1/100 times it doesn't connect properly. Usually a reboot (phone) and an engine off>on cycle clears it up. What do I mean by "connect properly"? Very infrequently it won't register that AA is connected. I'd honestly say that it happens less now, wireless, than it did when using the cable. Slightly more frequently, AA connects but the audio comes from my phone speaker. The only way to remedy that has been to restart both the car & the phone. This issue happens randomly and I have not come up with a scenario that I can duplicate it.
The issue that is consistent and fairly frustrating is that Waze navigation audio as well as the google voice to text gets cut off too early. Ex. "in 1/4 mile, Turn left on Clark St." followed by "Turn Left" is cut off and plays like this "in 1/4 mile, Turn left on Clar" followed by "K St. Turn Left". The end of the previous voice prompt is played at the beginning of the next voice prompt. Even if the next prompt doesn't happen for 30 miles, that audio is left waiting to be played. Very strange.
The odd part is that it doesn't happen on Google Maps. So you'd think, it must be an issue with Waze but it does happen with Google voice to text AND once it starts happening, like in Waze or GVTT it will also happen in Google Maps. The only way to fix it is to power down the AAWireless device (car off or unplug) & sometimes reboot the phone. This issue causes me use Waze for normal driving because it does a better job at identifying speed traps but if I need directions, I have to remember to launch Maps first.

I am interested in hearing if anyone using the Motorolla MA1 see similar issues. I would buy one but they are never in stock.

Overall, even with the issues, Wireless is 1000x better than wired...for me!

Karl978

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type R
Country flag
I’m using the Carlink 3.0 on my CTR and it works great. I’m planning to buy more for my other cars. It’s kinda pricey at around $100 but you can find some used on eBay for like half the price. That’s what I did. It also has a pass through usb A if you still want to connect via wired for charging purposes. I haven’t tried that since I’m using the wireless charging pad from CarQiWireless direct fit in the OEM area. Hope this helps. More options for everybody.

OP
OP
Warpspeed

Warpspeed

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Evo8, EF Civic Si, and 2020 CW Civic Type R
Country flag
I finally went with the OttoCast U2-X. Works great. Don't have to keep plugging and unplugging my phone. It still shows Apple Car play on the dash (not sure why) but my Log R doesn't work. Don't use it that much anyway. Cost $101 from Amazon had it on sale. Everything works, except for the charging of the phone....of course.

Honda Civic 10th gen Wireless Android Auto Adapter 20220618_112719

Skrivel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
@DAVEEVAD that is a really good deal,

But I also use the MA1 and it has been very awesome, and echoing, that it does eat through battery, but still worth it.

The_STIG

First Name
F
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R-39464
Country flag
I picked one up because my headunit has always issues. I was all excited about this, but now i am very annoyed.
So i just went outside and this Moto MA1 is not working for me. It gives me an cable error, and my Pixel 6 Pro shows it constantly goes from available to unavailable in the bluetooth settings. basically doesnt work.

Honda Civic 10th gen Wireless Android Auto Adapter PXL_20230107_013245769

DAVEEVAD

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Sport Hatch
Country flag
I would get this error from time to time when I was connecting with the cable. What worked for me was to reboot the head unit. Long press on the power button until it asks to restart the head unit. Press ok (sorry, I can't remember the exact text). Let the head unit finish restarting. I would usually unplug the cable at this time, restart my phone, & also turn the car off and back on (when the radio was done rebooting.

I have been using the AA Wireless device for almost a year & haven't see this error message since (knocks on wood)

The_STIG

First Name
F
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R-39464
Country flag
Got it to work finally! Motorola instructions SUCK and its super frustrating that we have to figure it out ourselves.

TLDR: Cant be connected to any WiFi during setup

How i got it to work. 2021 Civic Type R FK8 & Motorola MA1 & Pixel 6 Pro

- Uninstalled HondaHack (this may have not been needed)
- Factory Reset the HeadUnit (this may have not been needed)
- Factory Reset the MA1 using the 45s button press process (this may have not been needed)
- Went to Phone and Disconnected from Home WiFi (Turn Auto-Connect OFF) *********
- Clear Data for Android Auto on Pixel 6 Pro (this may have not been needed)
- Under Bluetooth, Forgot Hondalink & MA1 from Pixel 6P, then rebooted phone
- Once Radio was back (you will need OEM Honda Code), i only connected phone via USB and waited for Android Auto to launch as normal
- I disconnected phone, and plugged in the MA1
- when light color changed i went to phone searched for MA1 and click PAIR
- after about a minute the adapter finally connected and launched AA (thats when you will see phone is connected to MA1 via WiFi)
- Installed Honda Hack to headunit and it still was working.
- PROFIT

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
Those with the pixel 6 pro do you leave the phone in your pocket or do you have a wireless charger you have somewhere in the car? My phone doesn't fit in the area under the a/c controls

The_STIG

First Name
F
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R-39464
Country flag
My Pixel 6 Pro fits on the center console under the radio. is it because of the case your using?

b534202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 CTR WRX Legacy Hellcat LC500 GRC
Country flag
Got it to work finally! Motorola instructions SUCK and its super frustrating that we have to figure it out ourselves.

TLDR: Cant be connected to any WiFi during setup
Got it connected to my Pixel 7 Pro today, for me I had to disconnect from other BT devices, not WIFI. Otherwise just followed the Motorola instructions to a T. Got mine from Bestbuy for the same price.

jcfishel

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R #44709, 1993 300ZX Twin Turbo
Country flag
Those with the pixel 6 pro do you leave the phone in your pocket or do you have a wireless charger you have somewhere in the car? My phone doesn't fit in the area under the a/c controls
I installed the Honda OEM 10th Gen Civic wireless charging pad in my CTR over the holiday to work in parallel with the Motorola MA-1. This works pretty well but you need to be aware of 1 thing.

The power demands of Wireless Android Auto are pretty high and I discovered the OEM wireless charging pad can't "keep up". I double checked the documentation and confirmed the OEM pad for the 10th Gen Civic is only rated at 5W. This is enough to charge the phone slowly but not enough to use wireless android auto. Over time the battery will still drop, just at a slower rate than if not charging at all.

I'm willing to bet the new 11th gen Civic OEM Wireless charging pad is rated at 15W in order to accommodate Wireless Android Auto.

Honda Civic 10th gen Wireless Android Auto Adapter original_13318f44-5f66-4e46-9396-d39600468a9d_PXL_20230106_144259076

Honda Civic 10th gen Wireless Android Auto Adapter PXL_20230110_165915812

Last edited: