WhatTheFun

Knows some stuff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have purchased a winter wheel and tire set and wanted to highlight a few things that would be good to know for other potential buyers.

Honda Civic 10th gen Winter Wheels / Tires - Everything you want to know overview-

My objective was to get an inexpensive yet still visually appealing set of winter wheels and tires. (sorry steel wheel guys!). I hope you will find some of this information helpful.

I started my search at Tirerack, I have purchased many sets from them and they make life really easy. Mainly because they are mounted and balanced and come with the centering ring installed! That will prove to be very helpful. But with this info, you really can shop around to find the best deals at any tire store. I looked at the 17" winter wheel and tire combo's but after realizing it would cost ~$500+/- more for the look I wanted, I went with the 16" combo.

Tires

There are 2 sizes possible for a 16" wheel that have roughly the circumference required.
  • 215/55R16 (also happens to be the stock Civic 16" size)
  • 205/60R16 - a slightly narrower tire but also close in circumference
I chose the 205/60R16 for two reasons: Cost and narrower contact patch. The narrower tire will help, to some degree, reduce hydroplaning and cut through the snow. For winter, I typically choose the narrowest available. Also, the fact that the 205's were roughly $20 per tire cheaper helped make my decision easy.

As for the exact tire, you can do all the reading on many sites, but essentially I was choosing between the Bridgestone Blizzaks and the Michelin X-ICE.
Honda Civic 10th gen Winter Wheels / Tires - Everything you want to know mi_xicexi3_sr190-

Chosen Tire: 205/60R16 Michelin Xice Xi3 with Green X low rolling resistance

Wheels

This was a bit trickier, a balance of low cost and good looks is hard to find. I was not ok with the steel wheel look, I understand the reasons why some like it. However, for $40 per wheel more, a nice set of alloy's were an easy value proposition. Mostly, this is a matter of personal style so only you can decide what is best for your car. I wanted to get a set of wheels that closely matched my stock Touring wheels but for this low cost, I couldn't be too picky

As a matter of fitment, pay attention to this, tirerack shows fitment for 38mm, 45mm, and 48mm offsets. Sometimes the same wheel is offered in 2 or more offsets stating it is a "fit" for your vehicle. The good news is that tire rack determines the appropriate range, so you can't go wrong with any of the offsets they offer. I went with the 38mm offset. (stock wheels are 17x7 w/ 45mm offset). EDIT - The reason I went with 38 was mostly styling related, I like the position of the wheels. A 48mm offset would have them tucked under the fenders another 10 mm.

Honda Civic 10th gen Winter Wheels / Tires - Everything you want to know moda_md18_mba_pdpfull-

Chosen Wheel: Moda MD18 Machined w/ Black accent, 16"x7.5" 38mm offset

I ordered the set of four with free balancing and centering rings installed. Since we have indirect TPMS (thank goodness!!) I did not need to get the sensors installed. This saves ~$250. Thanks HONDA!! The great part is that the order was placed around noon and I received them on my doorstep at 10:30am the next day. This was amazing.

Installation process

The main piece of information I looked for was the torque specs for the lug nuts. It is not in the paper owners manual, but it is in the online/CD version. I'll save you some time

Lug nuts: 80 lb-ft

There were lots of small thought out details, such as the stickers for showing what side of the vehicle they go on (directional tires) and warning stickers that the centering rings may fall out when you put your summer tires back on.

Honda Civic 10th gen Winter Wheels / Tires - Everything you want to know img_1421-

Honda Civic 10th gen Winter Wheels / Tires - Everything you want to know img_1423-

They also provided a new set of lug nuts... but the peculiar part was that our lug nuts are metric (19mm socket) and they provided a 3/4" socket. It was nice of them to include the socket but not really necessary. A 3/4" socket does work just fine (19.05mm), it was just funny. Also, the lug nuts they provided were slightly longer than stock, but that is a non-issue, the longer ones look great with the new wheels.

Honda Civic 10th gen Winter Wheels / Tires - Everything you want to know img_1426-

The install went quite smoothly, using a floor jack. Just be sure to set the parking brake, that will make your life much easier (and safer).

Honda Civic 10th gen Winter Wheels / Tires - Everything you want to know img_1430-

Front

Honda Civic 10th gen Winter Wheels / Tires - Everything you want to know img_1452-

Rear (you can see the electric parking brake motor). Also note how much different this is than 8th/9th gen suspension geometry.

Honda Civic 10th gen Winter Wheels / Tires - Everything you want to know img_1456-

Centering ring shown installed (it is the part with 73-64 written on it)

Honda Civic 10th gen Winter Wheels / Tires - Everything you want to know img_1460-

Ta Da! (note the Honda center caps fit in these wheels, no need for them to say "Moda")

Honda Civic 10th gen Winter Wheels / Tires - Everything you want to know img_1469-

Honda Civic 10th gen Winter Wheels / Tires - Everything you want to know img_1468-

Honda Civic 10th gen Winter Wheels / Tires - Everything you want to know img_1470-

Honda Civic 10th gen Winter Wheels / Tires - Everything you want to know img_1471-

Finally, it was time to reset the TPMS (Home->settings->vehicle->TPMS->Calibrate) and check the speedometer. Typically cars have the speed readout slightly higher than the actual speed. Since these tires had a little more circumference than my OEM tires it should help put that closer. Unfortunately I did not have a chance to measure my OEM tires prior to the swap, but I did confirm that the new tires are SPOT ON for vehicle speed.

Honda Civic 10th gen Winter Wheels / Tires - Everything you want to know img_1473-

GPS verified using the Speed Box app (free). Don't worry, my wife was the photographer.

Disclaimer, the vehicle speed showed exactly the same as the readout, however, small differences within that single digit cannot be accounted for. Also, I tested this on the wife's Audi and her car was reading 3-4mph high. (82mph speedometer was actaully 78mph GPS).

Thanks for reading, If you would like more details let me know. This truly was the cliffs notes version.

Last edited:

Trueno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord, Honda Civic 10th gen
How are the Michelin's working out for you?

When I picked mine up in early December it came with those Michelin already installed...

Those are some of the worst winter tires I've ever got.

I have some Yokohama IG52 on my 2014 Accord and they are a thousand times better.

They are no Hakka's... but they are better than the Michelins.*

OP
OP
WhatTheFun

WhatTheFun

Knows some stuff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Are you sure they were the same tires? Anyhow I have limited time with them on this new car, but from my past experience with the Xice and blizzaks, they are on par with each other. I do not have experience with the Hakka's but have heard good things.

I'll report back once I get some more snow miles in.

jhaze84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Nice guide! I also bought my wheels and tires at Tire Rack but I went for more of a budget setup. General Altimax Arctic 205/60R16 and steel wheels.
Honda Civic 10th gen Winter Wheels / Tires - Everything you want to know IMG_20151231_140816

OP
OP
WhatTheFun

WhatTheFun

Knows some stuff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Nice guide! I also bought my wheels and tires at Tire Rack but I went for more of a budget setup. General Altimax Arctic 205/60R16 and steel wheels.
IMG_20151231_140816.jpg
You saved $288 by going your route vs. what I did. Not bad!

jhaze84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
You saved $288 by going your route vs. what I did. Not bad!
Less money, but I have to say your rims look great! Almost as good as the stock Touring rims. I underestimated how much the steelies take away from the overall look. I might try to find a cheap set of plastic wheel covers.

hondo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Those look really good. A few of the reviews mentioned that the tension ring interferes with the valve stem, did you find that to be an issue?
No, didn't seem to be an issue. It went right behind the stem. I haven't had to add air so I don't know if it will get in the way.

CdnCvx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX MSM
Great guide to changing the wheels! I had my LX delivered with Michelin Xice Xi3 tires on the original steel wheels with OEM wheel covers. Will be looking for inexpensive alloy wheels to put the all-season tires on, likely the DAI Vectra wheels shown below as they come in OEM size, including hub size so no centering ring required. Will likely be keeping the OEM tires as I am looking for a low-budget solution.

Honda Civic 10th gen Winter Wheels / Tires - Everything you want to know upload_2016-1-2_18-17-50

OP
OP
WhatTheFun

WhatTheFun

Knows some stuff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I had my LX delivered with Michelin Xice Xi3 tires on the original steel wheels with OEM wheel covers.

upload_2016-1-2_18-17-50.png
I've heard of quite a few on this forum with the Michelin xice tires, none with blizzaks yet.

hondo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've heard of quite a few on this forum with the Michelin xice tires, none with blizzaks yet.
Yeah, I went with the Michelin Xice also. The Blizzaks are supposed to be the best for snow/ice, but according to reviews are average on dry/wet and can be a bit loud. They also have no tread warranty. The other thing reviews say is that the Blizzaks beat everything else when the tread is brand new, but soon after the tread goes down and performance suffers. The Michelins are a good compromise in that they perform nearly as well on snow and ice, but do better on dry/wet, have lower road noise and rolling resistance, and have a tread warranty. If I lived in more extreme winter climates I would go Blizzaks, but in think in NJ the Michelins will be more than adequate. The real danger will be other drivers.

Trueno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are you sure they were the same tires? Anyhow I have limited time with them on this new car, but from my past experience with the Xice and blizzaks, they are on par with each other. I do not have experience with the Hakka's but have heard good things.

I'll report back once I get some more snow miles in.
Yes - same tires, same size even. You are correct... Blizzacks and XIce are on par with each other.

We've had a good dump (about 10 inch) over the holidays and the traction in the deep stuff and the slush was really sub-par. It does great on wet cold pavement in the city, but I wouldn't recommend those tires for anyone driving in real snowy conditions.

From now on, I'll stick with Hakka' and Yokohama's. There's a reason why everyone runs them in winter rallies and snowX events.

Honda Civic 10th gen Winter Wheels / Tires - Everything you want to know {filename}

Honda Civic 10th gen Winter Wheels / Tires - Everything you want to know {filename}

Trueno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had those tires on my Subaru the last 2 winters, for ''inexpensive'' tires they were really good in the deep snow, you have to remove them as soon as the weather gets warmer though... they will melt pretty fast.

I remember them being bit noisy but that might of been that my Subaru had poor NVH insulation lol.

Plus with the money you save, you can use it for other fun stuff.
Sponsored

Last edited: