Winter wheel setup in Toronto

GurinderM

First Name
Gurinder
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Hey guys I know its only the end of july but I'm trying to plan out how I'm gonna go about driving the type R this winter and weighing the options on maybe purchasing a winter beater or actually getting a winter wheel setup for the CTR. I have rust coating from the dealer but ahd few questions maybe some of you have experience with. Looking for someone specifically in the GTA but anyone feel free to answer.

What in CDN will a decent winter wheel setup run you?

Anyone know any good retailers to buy from in the area?

Can you just throw winter tires on the stock 20inch rim?

Any recommendations?
Sponsored

Last edited:

ManEatingPenguin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
If you don't care about how your winter setup looks like you can get away with 1-1.5k for wheels and tires to get the job done. 1.5-2K if you want some nicer looking wheels. You can get away with paying less if you get cheaper tires but my personal rule is to never cheap out on tires.

Don't put winter tires on the stock wheels. I highly recommend getting dedicated winter wheels for multiple reasons. Tires for 20" wheels are expensive and I don't even know if they (winter tires) exist for the stock sidewall ratio. For snow driving you want skinnier tires but the stock wheels prevent you from doing so.

WhatThePuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Acura Rsx (sold), '19 CW CTR 23909
Country flag
The first major thing I did was get a winter set. I run 245/40/18 with Michelin X-Ice; this will be my second winter running them and I love it. I bought my set off of Tire Rack, and had it sent to one of the authorized installers to get them put on. I take note of mileage before and after the summer/winter switch so I have a good idea of how many miles are on each set.

OrchidFc3

First Name
Holly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 1996 ITR, 1992 SI
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I would just buy a winter beater like you mentioned. That is what I am doing this time. Not worth ruined the car with our Canadian winters they are so hard on vehicles. You can probably buy a beater cheaper then a winter tire/wheel setup for the CTR lol.

I drove my STI all year round for 4 years and the winter months really did a toll on the paint and undercarriage. It was also coated with Krown every fall.

Cranium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I'm in Buffalo and in the process of doing the same thing. I wanted to get a set of Superspeed wheels (available in your area, as they're a Canadian company), but had trouble finding a distributor in the States that would contact me back during the pandemic. They make a great wheel at a great price. I ended up pre-ordering some VMR wheels (710s) that will be delivered some time in October.

Ryley_C

First Name
Ryley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, CW
Country flag
I've had this setup on my car for one winter so far. Got them directly from Honda.
Honda Civic 10th gen Winter wheel setup in Toronto IMG_1915

fiend busa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
You're going to spend quite a bit more money using a beater.

Slap some decent winter tires with a 245/40/18 setup and you're golden.

I ran the Viking Contact 7 last winter and they were amazing

EdG

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
I live in Cleveland so I see snow regularly, but not as much as you. CTR my daily driver and I can't miss work. I have 235/40R18 Michelin Alpina. It felt as good as my previous all wheel drive car on all seasons if not better. Tire Rack and other recommend narrower tires for winter. Narrower tires dig deeper into snow better compared to wider tracks.

X-ice are rated better on ice, Alpina have better performance according to the reviews I've read. If you will see a lot of ice, I would go with X-ice. I have driven frequently in snow but none of it was too deep, I live in suburbs with good plowing. I would be concerned if you were driving frequently on unplowed roads as I can see it getting hung up in deep snow since the CTR is quite low. Good luck.

zcEF

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
Either JSpec or JRP will be great for you, I got Sparco Pro Corsas with Yokohama IG52Cs for around 1900 I believe? I used them for a bit of one winter and then I bought a great condition 2002 CRV for 1400 dollars. If you drop the CTR insurance to whatever your insurance company will do for winter, and vice versa for summer on the beater you'll probably be slightly worse off with a beater, but you'll save the salt and kilometers. Just another option for you.

OP
OP

GurinderM

First Name
Gurinder
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Thanks guys, looking for all my options. One thing I have been considering is just throwing a good set of winter tires on the OEM Rim. Ive been able to find a few 245/30ZR20 winter tires. would this be ok if I threw them on? would they rub at all?

Vaporeon

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Civic Type R
Country flag
Thanks guys, looking for all my options. One thing I have been considering is just throwing a good set of winter tires on the OEM Rim. Ive been able to find a few 245/30ZR20 winter tires. would this be ok if I threw them on? would they rub at all?
I wouldn't run 20's in the winter, going to be tough, try and size to 18s if you can

Also DM me I might be able to help you out, I know a guy in the wheel and rim business!

OrchidFc3

First Name
Holly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 1996 ITR, 1992 SI
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you are really considering driving your R in the winter, get a hold of Larry Li over at J Spec Performance. He has amazing deals he will hook you up with something.

HomieGohan

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R | 1999 Civic Hatch NDF Style
Country flag
Live in Utah and we get heavy snow here during winter. Ran 18x8.5 wheels with 245/40/18 Michelin x-ice tires and it did amazing. Not only that, I couldn't believe how much better this set up felt compared to stock lol!!

You will enjoy the smooth ride

alvav

First Name
Leonidas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2019 Acura NSX
Beater is the way to go. Down the road, your R will be worth considerably more. Plus, you buy a beater for $3-4000 and then sell it down the road for $2-3000.
Sponsored