joecalta3

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 EX, 2017 EX Civic
Country flag
What is the coldest weather you have washed your civic in? I've done some mid 30's washing recently with warm water in the bucket with success. Going to a drive thru car wash is not an option for obvious reasons...
Sponsored

Last edited:

bluehatch17

First Name
bluehatch17
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sport touring hatchback. 2019 Coupe sport.
Country flag
I have done under 10 degrees, when the water freezes on the car before you can even spray it.

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2020 Civic Si Coupe Past: 2018 Civic Si Coupe, 2014 Prius, 2013 Civic LX 5spd
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Did a self wash recently in 25 degree weather and the soap/water was freezing before I could dry it.

My hands also get extremely cold very easily so I had to leave the car running and take a couple breaks of putting my hands to the heaters lol

Thus said, no more self serv washes for me this winter I'm just going to pay the extra and do spotless auto wash lol

julianzh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-t, 2019 GTI Autobahn DSG
Country flag
I go to those touchless wash with all the wax option selected. Then, I wipe the whole car with turtle wax hybrid ceramic spray.

haltamer

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 (UK / RHD!)
Country flag
Hasn't been that cold near me yet; Coldest wash is probably about 1 - 2c.

A kettle of boiling water in the bucket makes it far more bearable; Means your hands don't completely freeze :D

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag
I’ve had my share of washing my cars in the winter in New York freezing my hands in self wash car wash making sure I wash all of the road salt off water and soap freezing on the car..yeah I had my share. Now living in Florida the summer is the worst time to wash your car it’s the opposite it’s to dame hot outside when you rinse the car off the water starts drying also the soap you constantly have to keep the car wet your best off using the self wash in the summertime
the winter time ( cooler weather) down here is the best time to wash your car

OP
OP
joecalta3

joecalta3

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 EX, 2017 EX Civic
Country flag
Winter washing is indeed a rare event here in NY. I only do it in prep to complete wax later that day in the garage... makes it a worthwhile investment despite the pain... Has to be above 32 F regardless. ;)

Tyler M

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda civic Si
Country flag
Hasn't been that cold near me yet; Coldest wash is probably about 1 - 2c.

A kettle of boiling water in the bucket makes it far more bearable; Means your hands don't completely freeze :D
I wouldn't use boiling water... can help strip off soft waxes or sealants. Using water from the sink and letting it warm up is a better option in my opinion...

haltamer

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 (UK / RHD!)
Country flag
I wouldn't use boiling water... can help strip off soft waxes or sealants. Using water from the sink and letting it warm up is a better option in my opinion...
Mixed with the bucket of cold water of course - Don't intend to scald myself :p

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
Reading this thread made me so glad for California’s weak winters where I’m washing my car in 50° weather (40° on rare occasions). Props to you all