PurpFlurp

First Name
Isaiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
What are the best winter tires to run on stock rims? I’m stock height also and don’t plan on lowering it until after winter. Thank y’all in advance.
Sponsored

TyresseX

First Name
Tyresse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic hatchback sport
Country flag
What are the best winter tires to run on stock rims? I’m stock height also and don’t plan on lowering it until after winter. Thank y’all in advance.
Michelin is the way. expensive but better

zacwel

First Name
Zaccari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatch Sport CVT
Country flag
I just had the Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 mounted on my stock 18" wheels. I had them put on about a month ago, so no snow yet but they seem pretty solid. I can update mid-winter if you want (coming from Buffalo, NY).

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Also using MIchelin X-Ice Snow tires. They work very well except for braking on dry pavement, which may be true for any snow tires.

Troy Jollimore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2018 VW Golf
Country flag
You have to ask yourself what you want out of a winter tire, and how much are you willing to spend? You do get what you pay for, though it’s not always the best value.

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
Michelin is the way. expensive but better
I use Michelin in cold Quebec winter since many years. I'll go for ice tire, not snow tire
Michelin ice are also very good on lots of snow.

Most important; get them early this year, stocks are low

TyresseX

First Name
Tyresse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I use Michelin in cold Quebec winter since many years. I'll go for ice tire, not snow tire
Michelin ice are also very good on lots of snow.

Most important; get them early this year, stocks are low
aren't they the same thing

Hasdrubal

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si sedan, 2015 Fit, 2009 Ridgeline
Country flag
Any winter rated tires are going to be dramatically better than any all season tires for ice or snow, but if you want to see how they perform relative to each other, look up TireRack. They have great comparison tests for many tires in every category. Not always the best prices if you can find a deal, but great info.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=263

Troy Jollimore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2018 VW Golf
Country flag
Just threw on my Bridgestone blizzaks on today. I’ve owned almost every snow tire out there and continentals were the worst and Michelin ice-x being my favorite.
The Blizzaks are exceptional, but gonna have to make exception to your claims of your having owned ‘almost every snow tire out there, since that would be near-impossible. And with Continentals being ‘the worst’. The set I’ve been using for the past 4 years would beg to differ! ?

aren't they the same thing
They’re both Winter tires, and each works well on both ice and snow. But a ‘snow tire’ is traditionally a really soft rubber compound with huge lugs (big rubber blocks with lots of space between them) which bite down into snow and move the rubber around for grip. These are best in deep snow. An ‘ice tire’ has a much finer tread with smaller blocks close together and lots of sipes (the tiny grooves carved into the rubber). This lets them handle better, and are quieter, on regular road conditions we see in Winter. Dry to ice to slush to light snow.

For examples, do a search for ’Winter King’ for more of a snow tire and ‘X Ice’ for an ice tire. Most good winter tires are a mix between the two.

TyresseX

First Name
Tyresse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The Blizzaks are exceptional, but gonna have to make exception to your claims of your having owned ‘almost every snow tire out there, since that would be near-impossible. And with Continentals being ‘the worst’. The set I’ve been using for the past 4 years would beg to differ! ?

They’re both Winter tires, and each works well on both ice and snow. But a ‘snow tire’ is traditionally a really soft rubber compound with huge lugs (big rubber blocks with lots of space between them) which bite down into snow and move the rubber around for grip. These are best in deep snow. An ‘ice tire’ has a much finer tread with smaller blocks close together and lots of sipes (the tiny grooves carved into the rubber). This lets them handle better, and are quieter, on regular road conditions we see in Winter. Dry to ice to slush to light snow.

For examples, do a search for ’Winter King’ for more of a snow tire and ‘X Ice’ for an ice tire. Most good winter tires are a mix between the two.
So this is a mix of both? >>>Michelin X-Ice SNOW Winter Tire

marheyoh's si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI
Country flag
Any winter rated tires are going to be dramatically better than any all season tires for ice or snow, but if you want to see how they perform relative to each other, look up TireRack. They have great comparison tests for many tires in every category. Not always the best prices if you can find a deal, but great info.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=263
Second this. TireRack is really helpful when it comes to choosing from several of the popular tire brands.

Personally, I have VikingContact7s on the OEM wheels. I think they're great. I've played around in the snow with them and haven't had any issues. Was able to climb a couple of decently steep snow-covered hills from a stop. As far as normal driving goes, I haven't had any issues with starting, stopping, or losing traction. Honestly, if you just take snow/icy conditions easy, any dedicated winter tire will be fine.

Edcalgarian

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 honda civic si
Country flag
Toyo observe g3 ice are really good tires. I had the Nokian hakkas in the past and found the toyos grip way better 2
Sponsored