17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Winter tires for the CTR upload_2017-8-11_10-51-38

Thoughts on these for winter wheels? Trying too hard?
Sponsored

Fk8 4343

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic Type R, 17' CR-V Touring
Thoughts on these for winter wheels?
I saw these on a Subaru few weeks ago and got a close look because I was considering buying them. I did not like how you see the wheel hub through the unused bolt holes. The hub does not have a nice finish and gets rusted. I don't know why they left open holes on these.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I saw these on a Subaru few weeks ago and got a close look because I was considering buying them. I did not like how you see the wheel hub through the unused bolt holes. The hub does not have a nice finish and gets rusted. I don't know why they left open holes on these.
Hmm. yeah that's a good point. I prefer to have it all closed up and not have that 'universal fit' look. Good call.

SpicyMcFatburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 1976 Datsun 280Z
Country flag
Hmm. yeah that's a good point. I prefer to have it all closed up and not have that 'universal fit' look. Good call.
I had Motegis on an old beater car when I was in college. For the price, they're decent, but the finish isn't great and they're definitely not light. Mine had an aluminum lip that pitted like no other. If you were to get beater winter wheels, they would fit the bill.

baldheadracing

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
If you really want wheels for actual winter and real snow, then you have my sympathy, and open designs are not the way to go. TireRack does carry good ones:

Honda Civic 10th gen Winter tires for the CTR OZ

Although other vendors might have the white rally's, which might look better to some on some cars:
Honda Civic 10th gen Winter tires for the CTR OdZ2

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Winter tires for the CTR upload_2017-8-17_13-28-7

Well, this certainly is more budget friendly. Considering their purpose, I don't mind going a little cheap on the winter tire.
I've used the ArcticMax in the past and they were pretty good. Pretty much the best bang for the buck. Comparable to the Blizzacks - at least in the limited amount I've been able to use them.

iforyou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R, 2001 Honda S2000, 2007 Acura RDX
Country flag
I used Arctic Altimax before too and they were nice. Now I have the X-Ice Xi3 on my rdx and they are awesome too. Normally they would be more pricey but I got 30% off them so ended up being a pretty sweet deal.

R-00620

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type-R
Country flag
I'm planning on going with the General Altimax Arctic 12, 235/45R18, as well (though I won't be using or allowed to use studs). The narrower tire will make it easier to get through the snow; and still clear the brakes. The smaller tires are cheaper. And, it's Winter; so, everyone will be watching the snow; and not the flashy car, with the big rubber tires. Besides, don't want to be admired sitting in a snowbank. I'm planning on the swaps at the end of October and the end of April (that's over half the year!), depending upon the forecasts.

Going with Sport Edition A13 wheels. They have about the same openness as the ones that were stock on my 2008 Si.

I was, initially, concerned with the whole idea of Summer/Winter tires. That was something that my Dad did (in the 70's). I always had All-Season tires. But, my local Tire-guy will store and swap Summer/Winter for me, for a nominal cost (as well as rotating, etc). And, the Type-R comparable (Focus RS, WRX STI & Golf R) all come with Summer tires. So, it'll be a new thing to do. But, not something to be overly concerned with.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'm planning on going with the General Altimax Arctic 12, 235/45R18, as well (though I won't be using or allowed to use studs). The narrower tire will make it easier to get through the snow; and still clear the brakes. The smaller tires are cheaper. And, it's Winter; so, everyone will be watching the snow; and not the flashy car, with the big rubber tires. Besides, don't want to be admired sitting in a snowbank. I'm planning on the swaps at the end of October and the end of April (that's over half the year!), depending upon the forecasts.

Going with Sport Edition A13 wheels. They have about the same openness as the ones that were stock on my 2008 Si.

I was, initially, concerned with the whole idea of Summer/Winter tires. That was something that my Dad did (in the 70's). I always had All-Season tires. But, my local Tire-guy will store and swap Summer/Winter for me, for a nominal cost (as well as rotating, etc). And, the Type-R comparable (Focus RS, WRX STI & Golf R) all come with Summer tires. So, it'll be a new thing to do. But, not something to be overly concerned with.
I dig the choice. I'm pretty sure I'm going with the exact same setup. I think I'm going with the darker colored wheel to try and hide some of the brake dust. I also am skipping studs because it isn't super hilly here, I have a short drive, and the snow tires alone are effective enough at stopping and going - especially with LSD!

My only other possibility would be to go with a stud-less tire for about $7 more... depending on reviews, it seems the stud-able tire may compromise a bit with the logic being that if you really wanted ultimate grip, you'd get studs. If you go with a stud-less tire, supposedly it is better than a stud-able which doesn't have studs. I'd love to see hard data on this...

We will definitely get confused for Subaru with these wheels!

V33DUB

First Name
JM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR
I'm going with Nokian Hakka-9 in 225/45R18 for the winter.

I'm still undecided which wheels to get but the OZ Rally above have my attention. Sadly, they don't seem available in white with the right specs for our cars.

Honda Civic 10th gen Winter tires for the CTR Nokian-Hakkapeliitta-9

vanovem1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R, 2007 Honda Civic Si
I went with the OZ Omnia 18x8 +45 in the Bright Race Grey color with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S
3+ in the 235/45R18 size for my cold weather driving. I won't be driving in snow, so I went with all seasons over winters for the cold weather conditions. I put the wheels on to ensure they fit, and they do. I didn't take a picture on the vehicle, but here's a couple pictures off of it.
Honda Civic 10th gen Winter tires for the CTR IMG_0654.JPG
Honda Civic 10th gen Winter tires for the CTR IMG_0655.JPG

think3mm

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 SGP Civic Type-R
Country flag
Think I might run these this winter with some Nokain R2s

Honda Civic 10th gen Winter tires for the CTR upload_2019-6-23_21-27-15

rebelthepit

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R
Country flag
I have these from Tire Rack. They are made exclusively for them and are great quality. They fit nicely on the R. I have the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+. The tires are great but I’m going to be selling them because I want to have a dedicated snow tire since these are my snow wheels.

Honda Civic 10th gen Winter tires for the CTR FF5B2497-A3B1-4E4A-8BE7-2E5DA7A4A541

Honda Civic 10th gen Winter tires for the CTR 55FE9EFB-3409-4C71-A429-2F2A02A1E1E2

Honda Civic 10th gen Winter tires for the CTR 2F349697-0D94-46A6-8E27-DE56A1A9A936

Honda Civic 10th gen Winter tires for the CTR A9A19892-7BFF-4CC2-B163-B0CCE26A6156