Ryden1315

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
Hey guys just wondering what the winter tires with steelie dimensions should be. I have a set off my GTi that are the same bolt pattern but want to see if it would fit my ctr. They are 16 inchers.
Sponsored

JYR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
8th gen Si
Country flag
Minimum of 18" wheels are needed for the CTR. I don't believe there are any steelies available for the CTR, but could be wrong.

The good news is, the Blizzak WS80 is available in a 245/40/18 size.

MrPink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
Tire size is one thing... but the Rims needed will be another!! if the factor rim offset is +60, and u don't need these for performance, what's the offset route you should go??

how low can you go?? tire rack says 32mm.... yes the tires and rims are skinnier, but by how much?

baldheadracing

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
Minimum of 18" wheels are needed for the CTR. I don't believe there are any steelies available for the CTR, but could be wrong.

The good news is, the Blizzak WS80 is available in a 245/40/18 size.
Even better, Hakka R2's (no stud) or 9's (studded) are available in 225/45 x 18. 225's would be about an inch narrower than 245's, giving much better snow performance.

No doubt steel rims will be available by the fall.
Tire size is one thing... but the Rims needed will be another!! if the factor rim offset is +60, and u don't need these for performance, what's the offset route you should go??

how low can you go?? tire rack says 32mm.... yes the tires and rims are skinnier, but by how much?
Offset is constant regardless of rim width/diameter, tire width, etc. Arguably there is a greater need to be at factory offset (ET60) in low-traction conditions as one is more likely to use ABS and VSA (unless one turns these things off, of course).

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
Does anybody know if any of the honda oem wheels will fit? Ridgeline/MDX/pilot maybe?

MrPink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
Offset is constant regardless of rim width/diameter, tire width, etc. Arguably there is a greater need to be at factory offset (ET60) in low-traction conditions as one is more likely to use ABS and VSA (unless one turns these things off, of course).
so what offset should i be looking for, for my winters... i found a set of gislaved 245/40/18s that are good for 2 more winters at least...

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Winter tires for the CTR upload_2017-8-1_9-31-24

Normally I'd choose the Blizzack in this comparison but since I have to buy the wheels this year too...the Continentals are $100 less plus you get the $70 Visa card. Seems like the obvious choice unless someone on here has had a terrible experience with them...

vanovem1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R, 2007 Honda Civic Si
upload_2017-8-1_9-31-24.png

Normally I'd choose the Blizzack in this comparison but since I have to buy the wheels this year too...the Continentals are $100 less plus you get the $70 Visa card. Seems like the obvious choice unless someone on here has had a terrible experience with them...
I was also thinking about going with the Continentals...not sure yet though. What wheels were you looking at to pair those with?

baldheadracing

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
so what offset should i be looking for, for my winters... i found a set of gislaved 245/40/18s that are good for 2 more winters at least...
Hard to say at the moment. I don't know. I have been playing around with the features but with the stock setup. I haven't started playing with my 18" rims yet (ET45). Theoretically longer ABS braking distances are my major concern.

Realistically, ET55 is as close as you can get today, and the selection broadens if you go to ET50, and even more if you go to ET45. Steelies should be available in time for winter, though, and they are a lot easier to make with varying offsets.

Last edited:

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I was also thinking about going with the Continentals...not sure yet though. What wheels were you looking at to pair those with?
I really wanted to try and score a cheapish set of something Honda OEM that would fit and just dip them white, but that hasn't panned out yet.

Maybe something like this?
Honda Civic 10th gen Winter tires for the CTR upload_2017-8-1_10-37-37

Not super nice but reminds me of the CTR wheels on the JDM 8th gen Civic R.

Honda Civic 10th gen Winter tires for the CTR upload_2017-8-1_10-41-18

Something like this would probably look OK too.

I really don't want something too open that can allow ice in and to build up...then again I probably won't take this car out into the snow like I'd take my Si. This is really just to help deal with the cold temperatures and occasional slush/ice. We don't live in an area where we just 'live' with the snow. The little bit we get they dump salt on until the road is white. When we get big snows, they leave the neighborhoods snowed-in until they clear the main roads completely (almost dry even) then finally get to the neighborhoods the 2nd day...so by the time I get out there's just a little slush for the first .25 miles, then a wet main road. Parking lots may have snow, but I'll probably be a bit more selective with where I go in this R because of parking safety etc.

vanovem1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I really wanted to try and score a cheapish set of something Honda OEM that would fit and just dip them white, but that hasn't panned out yet.

Maybe something like this?
upload_2017-8-1_10-37-37.png

Not super nice but reminds me of the CTR wheels on the JDM 8th gen Civic R.

upload_2017-8-1_10-41-18.png

Something like this would probably look OK too.

I really don't want something too open that can allow ice in and to build up...then again I probably won't take this car out into the snow like I'd take my Si. This is really just to help deal with the cold temperatures and occasional slush/ice. We don't live in an area where we just 'live' with the snow. The little bit we get they dump salt on until the road is white. When we get big snows, they leave the neighborhoods snowed-in until they clear the main roads completely (almost dry even) then finally get to the neighborhoods the 2nd day...so by the time I get out there's just a little slush for the first .25 miles, then a wet main road. Parking lots may have snow, but I'll probably be a bit more selective with where I go in this R because of parking safety etc.
Yeah we live in a pretty similar area so I'm on the same page as you. I was looking at these to pair with those tires

https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whe...h=Black+Painted&showRear=no&packageFlow=false

I will hardly be driving it during the winter and I just want something to deal with cold weather, not so much the ice and snow. I'll be using my Si for the worse weather. What do you think of these?

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yeah we live in a pretty similar area so I'm on the same page as you. I was looking at these to pair with those tires

https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whe...h=Black+Painted&showRear=no&packageFlow=false

I will hardly be driving it during the winter and I just want something to deal with cold weather, not so much the ice and snow. I'll be using my Si for the worse weather. What do you think of these?
Honda Civic 10th gen Winter tires for the CTR upload_2017-8-1_11-45-15

They look pretty good. I like that they're similar to the stock wheel. What color is the car?

I like the Si as a snow car, especially with snow tires. I have a set of winter wheels from my Si I'll be looking to sell if you don't already have some-!

vanovem1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
upload_2017-8-1_11-45-15.png

They look pretty good. I like that they're similar to the stock wheel. What color is the car?

I like the Si as a snow car, especially with snow tires. I have a set of winter wheels from my Si I'll be looking to sell if you don't already have some-!
CBP Type R which is why I like those wheels so much. I just prefer the black on black after seeing the stock wheels on it. I may be interested in those wheel, just shoot me a message with the info

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
CBP Type R which is why I like those wheels so much. I just prefer the black on black after seeing the stock wheels on it. I may be interested in those wheel, just shoot me a message with the info
Will do!

Yeah I think the wheels in black are a good look. I'm also CBP and I have this notion that Rally wheels should be white, and since it's the winter set anyway... we'll see. They'll either be left alone or white. I guess with dip I'm free to go back and forth as I please-

Nemesis724

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type-R Touring, 2013 Infiniti G37 Sedan Sport 6MT, 2007 Honda Civic Si 6MT, 2010 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X (Sold), 2005 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VIII (RIP)
Brian do you have any pictures of your winter wheels for sale? :)
Sponsored