Chr0meSplAt

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Quick question for all you wheel/tire setup gurus. I just moved out to Denver for the winter, and I’m currently running Konig Ampliforms 18x9.5+35 all around, wrapped in Michelin Pilot Sport 4S 255/40r18. Stock suspension.

Im about to pull the trigger on winter tires, specifically Michelin X-ice Xi3s 245/40r18. I’m 100% sure they’ll fit, but just wanted to get a second opinion. Also, would going with all season tires be ok? I won’t be taking the R into the mountains on ski days, and Denver is pretty on point with plowing the roads as soon as snow starts to fall here. Or should I just play it safe and stick with winters?

Thanks!!
Sponsored

TANSTAAFL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R, Championship White
Country flag
I've used X-ice before and they are good winters. I always recommend actual winter/snow tires over A/S for anyone where it either gets very cold or snowy, or both. A/S tires are "ok," but as you would expect the more extreme you get in any direction the less effective they are. I'm in northern New England, where sub-freezing (and often sub-zero) temps are common in the winter, and where even though plowing is effective the prevalence of small secondary roads and variable weather mean you will encounter snow anyhow.

The most peace of mind is a good set of winters. Ask yourself what you would actually be gaining with all-season tires. Unless you plan to run them year-round, which has its own set of considerations.

MoodySara

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type R - Boost Blue; 2024 Civic Touring - SGP
Country flag
Go with the winters.
It looks like you have summer tires, so I wouldn't bother with the A/S.

lexro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX 2006, Civic Sedan Sport 2019, Type R 2021
Country flag
Size wise thats good. I'm running 235/40/18 and it's about 0.46 inches smaller in diameter compared to the OEM. Kinda wished I had gone with 245 instead.

And yes forget about all season. waste of money. X-ice is good. quiet and smooth on dry pavement, but also provides enough grip on ice and snow.

732TypeR

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
I need a winter set up as well. I'm having a hard time finding what I want.

NHCivicGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 R
Country flag
hi

That's a decent size. In comparison to the OEM, I'm running 235/40/18, which is 0.46 inches smaller in diameter. I sort of wish I'd gone with 245 instead.
You honestly want a narrower tire to get better cut through the snow down the pavement, etc. Wider tires do worse in snow. I went with General Altimax Arctic in 225/45r18 on some Enkei Raijin.

Honda Civic 10th gen Winter Tire Setup Question! FB43DF0E-CDDA-49C5-A721-8ED2EE613CAD

TonyD

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rallye Red Type R
Country flag
Contrary opinion here. I tried the X Ice on my CTR and I hated them. I think I had a bad tire as they growled really badly. Not like the tread was aggressive but more like a real defect. First for Michelins for me as I use them on all my vehicles. I never got to drive it much but they felt squirmy to me.

In the end Michelin has a short window where you can just get your money back and I replaced them with Pilot Alpins and I have been extremely happy with them.

I live in MA where it gets pretty cold and nasty. If its deep snow then I would normally work from home or take our SUV, but I did try it in lots of 2" snow and slush and they performed very well.

I'm sure the X Ice would be better in deep snow and for ultimate traction but for me the Alpins give all the safety I need without killing the way the car feels the 95% of the winter where its just cold and dry driving.

Romeoridgee

Honda Dealer Tech.
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SPT 17 EX-T 08 LX 21 CRV 12 Acc 14 328I CONV
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
with snow tires the more narrow the better for higher surface pressure on the road. you should get another set of wheels for the winter so you dont hurt those bad boys. maybe like an 18 by 7 or 8. and with 205s/215s.
Sponsored