Winter tire recommendations

hondo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I guess because the car is so new, Tirerack does't have any winter tire/wheel packages for the 2016 Civic (at least for touring). I'm assuming 16" tires will be fine. What winter tires did you go with and what size?
Sponsored

nebbiolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2005
Country flag
As recommended by the Honda dealer I dropped down in size from the regular 215/55R16 to Bridgestone Blizzak WS80 205/65R15. Haven't had snow yet but they've provided a very smooth ride so far.

OP
OP
hondo

hondo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks for the info. Might see if there are any black Friday sales on tires.

C Note

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
--
I second the Blizzak recommendation. I've been running all seasons for the past few years but when I used to run winter tires I went with Blizzaks after trying out alternatives. Most other people I know who've tried them also swear by them.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
I love Blizzaks, and as others have suggested, keep the width a bit on the narrow side, either same width as OEM or one width narrower, it improves the "bite" of the tires.

I run Blizzaks on my truck strictly for winter only. On my wife's AWD Saabaru, we run Continental DWS. The DWS are an excellent all season tire that is optimized for very good ice and snow traction (for an all season). Good tire for someone who doesn't want to invest in a second set of wheels, but wants a good winter tire.

OP
OP
hondo

hondo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Do you happen to know the specs for shopping for wheels that will fit on the new Civic? The tirerack site keeps asking for make but they don't have the info for the new civic yet.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
Do you happen to know the specs for shopping for wheels that will fit on the new Civic? The tirerack site keeps asking for make but they don't have the info for the new civic yet.
Per the Honda website:
215/55-16
215/50-17

OP
OP
hondo

hondo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just realized there is another thread about the bolt pattern and bore size, so part of the answer to my own question is 5x114.3 with a 64.1 center bore

HondaGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
I see you live in NJ, as I. Here's my recommendation based on past experience.

If you live in a County/Town where they plow snow same night or the next morning, go with a set of Continental ExtremeContact DWSs.

If, however, they do not plow slow right away, and you have a profession that requires you to come in regardless of weather conditions, then go with a set of Blizzaks.

Based on having a FWD vehicle and your location, the Contis will probably be the best choice and you will notice a big difference in performance in dry/wet conditions when compared to the OEM tires.

OP
OP
hondo

hondo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks, I'll about that. Would be less hassle than changing tires twice a year. Would probably have to wait til we wear out the OEMs though.

HondaGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
Thanks, I'll about that. Would be less hassle than changing tires twice a year. Would probably have to wait til we wear out the OEMs though.
I usually always switch the OEM tires as soon as I buy a car, then list them for sale on the forums. The less miles you have on the OEM tires. the easier the sale.

To me, being a father of two young boys, having the best performing tires I can get is a must. I want the most grip and stopping power available for my wheel size, rain, snow or shine. And to me thats the Conti DWS, if you only want one set.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
For us, a set of 16" DWS tires is cheaper than our car insurance deductible.

And my wife found that out the hard way. Now she's a DWS fan and insists that they're installed on her car.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
http://www.caranddriver.com/features/winter-tire-test-six-top-brands-tested-compared-feature

To anyone thinking A/S tires will suffice in winter climates, most testing puts winter specific tires at a huge advantage, especially for stopping. Almost any winter tire will stop car lengths sooner than an A/S in the snow and ice. In the linked test, just at 16mph it was a car length. In other tests it is about 4 car lengths at 30 mph. The amount of car lengths goes up exponentially as speed increases.