cloudkid

First Name
Cloud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FK8 Boost Blue
Country flag
Hoping you guys can help me. I've looked over the Winter Wheels super-thread, and countless other posts here, but to no avail can I seem to piece together the information I need mostly. I only want to find a good set of winter rims and tires. This is due to so many variances when it comes to the Wheel & Tire selection process.

For this basis I want to keep my 2020 FK8 Type-R completely stock when it comes to suspension and do not want to have to bend/cut or do anything else to my wheel-wells and fenders. I would like to find some wheels and tires that will fit without modification. The only Mod I will consider is wheel-spacers, which is part of what's confusing me.

1) When it comes to Aspect Ratio, the higher the number, the better for Winter-Driving and the greater amount of tread life, correct? Essentially higher Aspect Ratios = more rubber. What is the maximum aspect ratio one can have if they go with an 18" diameter rim? Could i get away with a AR of 50? Or do i really need to stay as close to the OEM 30 as possible? Does the reduction of wheel diameter make more room for more Aspect Ratio?

2) What is the maximum width that I can get on these rims and tires? 265 seems to be where it maxes out with stock fenders and housing? Is this accurate? Are there any requirements for spacers as long as its under 265mm? If so, how do i best determine the right spacers?

3) Spacers - are spacers dependent on offset or on tire width, or both? Can't seem to find the right answer in this regards.

These are just a few things I'm confused on. Thanks for sharing any insights or information to guide this total newb at buying aftermarket rims?
Sponsored

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Hoping you guys can help me. I've looked over the Winter Wheels super-thread, and countless other posts here, but to no avail can I seem to piece together the information I need mostly. I only want to find a good set of winter rims and tires. This is due to so many variances when it comes to the Wheel & Tire selection process.

For this basis I want to keep my 2020 FK8 Type-R completely stock when it comes to suspension and do not want to have to bend/cut or do anything else to my wheel-wells and fenders. I would like to find some wheels and tires that will fit without modification. The only Mod I will consider is wheel-spacers, which is part of what's confusing me.

1) When it comes to Aspect Ratio, the higher the number, the better for Winter-Driving and the greater amount of tread life, correct? Essentially higher Aspect Ratios = more rubber. What is the maximum aspect ratio one can have if they go with an 18" diameter rim? Could i get away with a AR of 50? Or do i really need to stay as close to the OEM 30 as possible? Does the reduction of wheel diameter make more room for more Aspect Ratio?

2) What is the maximum width that I can get on these rims and tires? 265 seems to be where it maxes out with stock fenders and housing? Is this accurate? Are there any requirements for spacers as long as its under 265mm? If so, how do i best determine the right spacers?

3) Spacers - are spacers dependent on offset or on tire width, or both? Can't seem to find the right answer in this regards.

These are just a few things I'm confused on. Thanks for sharing any insights or information to guide this total newb at buying aftermarket rims?
1) that is false. The tread life will typically depend on how much tread you physically get on the tires and how soft the tire compound is. The size of the tire wall would be the width of the tire * 0.1 * aspect ratio.
2) Most people don’t run much higher than 265mm, however, for winter driving, thinner actually is better since a smaller contact patch means a smaller contact area. Smaller contact area with the same weight means more pressure put on the ground.
3) find the right wheel and spacers won’t be an issue. Look for offsets between +35 to +60. A spacer will reduce the offset (not increase it).

OP
OP

cloudkid

First Name
Cloud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FK8 Boost Blue
Country flag
1) that is false. The tread life will typically depend on how much tread you physically get on the tires and how soft the tire compound is. The size of the tire wall would be the width of the tire * 0.1 * aspect ratio.
2) Most people don’t run much higher than 265mm, however, for winter driving, thinner actually is better since a smaller contact patch means a smaller contact area. Smaller contact area with the same weight means more pressure put on the ground.
3) find the right wheel and spacers won’t be an issue. Look for offsets between +35 to +60. A spacer will reduce the offset (not increase it).
Thank you for the response, this makes sense. I'm curious, what are the benefits to having a higher/lower aspect ratio then? If tread life is not impacted by it, then why not always go with the lowest profile tire possible?

123sillyboy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thank you for the response, this makes sense. I'm curious, what are the benefits to having a higher/lower aspect ratio then? If tread life is not impacted by it, then why not always go with the lowest profile tire possible?
Thicker sidewall usually means more comfortable ride and less chance u curb your expensive rim.

Thinner sidewall gives you more precise and instant response from the road feed to your hand.. you can feel what the Tires are doing and what tries to communicate to you better.

For winter tires.. you want narrow tires.. not max width.. it is opposite.. you want min width as you need it to cut through the snow not slide on the snow.
I am from canada .. we used winter tires over 6 months of the year.

Also.. you dont need spacer .. just get a set of rim that has proper offset.
OE offset is 60.. for winter, you get more aggressive offset like 35 or 38.. as you dont want wide tire so you dont need to worry much about rubbing with stock height...
I used 245/40r18 michelin xice3 and 245/35R19 michelin PA4, I find it too wide for canada winter.. i will down to 235 this season and see if it helps cutting through snow.

Last edited:

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
The aspect ratio and the tire width determine the size of the sidewall. You want the size of the sidewall (times 2) plus the diameter of the rim to be as close to equal to that of the stock setup so you have less speedometer error.

In general though, a thicker sidewall will result in a softer ride. Keep in mind that the tire itself is also part of the suspension setup.

Last edited:
OP
OP

cloudkid

First Name
Cloud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FK8 Boost Blue
Country flag
The aspect ratio and the tire width determine the size of the sidewall. You want the size of the sidewall (times 2) plus the diameter of the rim to be as close to equal to that of the stock setup so you have less speedometer error.

In general though, a thicker sidewall will result in a softer ride. Keep in mind that the tire itself is also part of the suspension setup.
Awesome, and thank you.