hondatom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic LX 6sp, 2010 Mazda5, 2008 Sentra
Country flag
It is good to hear so many people NOT having problems! Consumer reports did a follow up on CRV oil dilution (apparently, CRV's experience this issue more than the Civics w/ 1.5T engine). YouTube video here. They still recommend the car, suggesting it is still more of an anomaly than wide spread problem.

Though I really wanted a LX Hatch, I settled on the LX Sedan based on oil dilution concerns. Had I waited for this thread, I might have gotten a hatch! Oh well, I really like my sedan none the less!

arnbrian

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI coupe
Country flag
2018 civic SI at 25,000 miles in Michigan. This winter has been pretty bad, haven't noticed any oil dilution. I have the dealer test my oil every time I change it and nothing (from what they say). I also drive an hour to work on the highway everyday. overall, no complaints.

scottEXT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic ext, 2015 crv se
Country flag
Who told you it was that?
On the Si we have a clunk and it's 100% coming from the rear suspension.
I put my car on a hoist and warmed it up and dropped the exhaust since it sounded like a water bong and the huge exhaust is a catch basin for condensation, removed water no more clunk

And I mean no more Issues when the car was -40 not warm obviously

Last edited:

Browncoat3000

Red 5 standing by
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
3 Ohio winters with my ‘16 EX-T with no issues.

Jane

First Name
Jane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
Hello, I am new to the forum, found it while researching why my 2018 Hatch smells like raw eggs/gas periodically. It appears that I have the oil dilution issue as the gas smell is accompanied by excess volume in the oil pan. This isn't limited to cold weather as Honda claims. I live in Palm Springs, Ca, park the car in a west facing garage in the middle of summer. The garage can get to 100 degrees plus and the smell can pop up while it sits in the garage after several days of not driving.
Honda Civic 10th gen Winter drivers with 1.5 Turbo engine report in 2dip stick.JPG
Honda Civic 10th gen Winter drivers with 1.5 Turbo engine report in dip stick.JPG

turbo lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
I live in brampton and last year winter my Honda civic touring sucks compared to my previous car ...this car literally took like 20 minutes to start bringing heat and the temperature takes forever to reach the halfway point on the gauge it was around -23 C my previous Chevrolet Malibu would warm up in like 7 minutes in that same weather
Do you use block heater? Also I block off my grille in winter. It seems to help warmup times.

Jane

First Name
Jane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
Hello, I am new to the forum, found it while researching why my 2018 Hatch smells like raw eggs/gas periodically. It appears that I have the oil dilution issue as the gas smell is accompanied by excess volume in the oil pan. This isn't limited to cold weather as Honda claims. I live in Palm Springs, Ca, park the car in a west facing garage in the middle of summer. The garage can get to 100 degrees plus and the smell can pop up while it sits in the garage after several days of not driving.
2dip stick.JPG
dip stick.JPG
Update. My dealer was quite responsive and changed the oil and filter at no charge. They said although the volume was overfilled, there was no gasoline in the oil. They stated that they must’ve overfilled it on the last oil change. From this point forward, we will monitor every thousand Miles. I’m relieved on one hand, but where the raw fuel smell comes from remains a mystery.

Andre80

First Name
white civic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X 1.5 sport +
Country flag
I admit that since I changed the oil, the level has not increased, I used amsoil 0w30, we'll see this winter

raf702

First Name
Ralf
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatch Sport SGP
Country flag
Is there a specific year of the 1.5T that have this oil dilution issue? And has it been improved or solved with the 2018/2019+ models?

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Is there a specific year of the 1.5T that have this oil dilution issue? And has it been improved or solved with the 2018/2019+ models?
16-18 left the factory with the issue, which was fixed in a software update. 19s (and late 18s?) left the factory with the updated software, but nothing is mechanically different/improved.

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
I went in for the oil dilution recall back in Mar-2019 which includes oil and filter replacement. I smelt the dipstick right after the service, it was reeked of gasoline. I went in earlier this week for another oil change. I just smelt the dipstick and I still smelt gasoline.

To stay on point, I took delivery of my Civic in Nov-2017. With a set of 17-inch Bridgestone Blizzak, the car performed well in the past 2 winters. In general, front drive with dedicated snow tires is good enough for Toronto/Montreal winters. I lived in Montreal for 30 years and in Toronto for 12.
Sponsored