Anxiety

First Name
Trazelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic sport hatch
Country flag
Hey everyone I recently just got a 2020 Honda Civic sport hatch. I’m wanting to put a wing/spoiler on it. Can you help me with some pros and cons on them. As well as if you have purchase any of these and what’s your experience with them. I’m open for recommendations on which one I should get! Thanks again!

Honda Civic 10th gen Wing/spoiler hatch pros and cons 83583278-EBA7-48EB-BC5E-2450022D33ED

Honda Civic 10th gen Wing/spoiler hatch pros and cons 890517A9-C571-4919-87C4-8F6ECA04E4CA

Honda Civic 10th gen Wing/spoiler hatch pros and cons DCA999DF-CB30-448A-9156-B393012FAFF4

Honda Civic 10th gen Wing/spoiler hatch pros and cons B95CFEF9-E0D8-4304-B718-4245A4682788

dellyjoughnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner, '19 Civic Sport Hatchback
Country flag
The decision partly boils down to 2 things.

1. Do you have plans to sell the vehicle in the future?
2. Do you want to drill your trunk?

Go with the Caruse Aero Flap if you do have plans to sell a car in the future. It mounts using 3M VHB tape to the existing spoiler. Is easier to clean up when you need to sell the car. There are no take-backs if you drill your trunk to add a wing and will be on the buyer's taste if they want the wing.

If you plan to keep the car for 30+ years. You are free to choose. Personally, I think the Aero Flap is much cleaner with the stock FK7 wing and doesn't mess up the aero in the rear too much. With a large wing, I have to get rid of the FK7's stock rear wing if I wanted to use the FK8's rear wing.

Robot3RK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
You get more downforce if you install the wing. The wing requires drilling into the car to be mounted. Other wings or spoilers that are much smaller can be mounted on without the possibility of drilling such as flaps or duckbills. Some people like the big Type R wing while others prefer smaller spoilers like the flaps or duckbilled ones. Some people thing Type R wing looks silly on the hatch while others may think the flaps or duckbill looks weird. It depends on peoples tastes as we all know not everyone likes the same flavor. Any wing can look clean if it is mounted correctly. I have the Type R Replica Wing from ABS Dynamics and I think it looks clean imo. I also have matching White Painted Mugen Style Roof Spoiler and Black Painted Type R vortex generators as well.

disgraced.fk8

IG: @break_ya_neck_fk7
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
GT WING GT WING GT WING

Honda Civic 10th gen Wing/spoiler hatch pros and cons IMG_20200916_112257-01

Honda Civic 10th gen Wing/spoiler hatch pros and cons IMG_20210213_220941

Cons: Drilling holes and hydraulic struts will not work as well. They were not designed with the weight of the wing taken into account. My white sport touring would never open by itself after I got the Type R style from ABSdynamics, which is SUUUPER light. I only know this now as I JUST removed the OEM wing from the R and it has to be like 10 times the weight; there are metal reinforcements inside which help it all stay together. I always wondered why the side pieces were $650 each....

Con: Worse gas mileage. I lose a few mpg with the Type R style wing, lose more with the GT wing. Hard to say how much exactly because I had a few mods that reduced MPG, all the way down to an average of 26 or so even with a lot of highway miles.

Once I got the GT wing, the hatch would actually close on its own unless you literally pushed it all the way up and held it for a second to let it settle lol. Didn't lift it far enough and it would just fall back down. You can definitely just buy the Type R dampers and be fine though, the OEM spoiler is actually heavier than the carbon GT wings.

And I suppose another con of the GT wing is the price... $$$$ but you can now find some reasonably priced replicas on eBay for like 1k.

If you go with ABS dynamics for the Type R wing, it is exact copy of OEM Type R wing, just without the reinforcements. I ran mine for like 30k miles with zero issues, just upgraded to the GT wing. Use 3M Super Strength Molding Tape. It is NO JOKE.

https://absdynamics.com/products/spoiler-amg-gt?_pos=8&_sid=74cdafdba&_ss=r

Pros: Breaking necks DAILY. Real life Need for Speed / Fast and Furious car.

dktyson

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have a fk7 and I bought the ABS Dynamics Type R replica wing.
Bought unpainted and ran a couple coats of primer/paint on it myself (I have a sgp fk7 and wanted black as a contrast) and slapped it on.

Cons: It does make the hatch a little heavier so you kinda have to help it when opening it.
When closing the hatch, slowly let it go down otherwise it slams hard as hell.
You have to drill into your hatch and if you mess up by even a 10th of an inch, your holes won't line up right (like mine). I was only able to get 3 bolts in (instead of 4) so it kinda flaps on the highway which makes it less cool. It comes with chunky supports for the middle but I didn't feel like putting those on.
More for personality than function.

Pros: looks cooler with it on.
Doesn't really mess with my mpg at all (36-40 on highway regularly in a 6mt). **with conservative driving**

My suggestion: whichever one you go with, get it professionally installed. Way worth it. Then you don't run the chance of messing it up like I did

yansag1982

First Name
Yanick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Coupe Sport 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm sure that big ass plastic wang doesn't provide much downforce if any...my bet is it creating a lot of drag and slows you down more than anything.

Cons: You add weight and visual pollution to an otherwise nice car.
Pros: none i can think off ?

put your money on new wheels and tires instead.

Last edited:

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic HB ST, '18 Civic HB EX, '04 Ford Ranger
Country flag
I'm Sure that big ass plastic wang doesn't provide much downforce if any...my bet is creating a lot of drag and slows you down lore than anything.

Cons: You add weight and visual pollution to an otherwise nose car.
Pros: none i can think off ?
Pros: Looks cool as F***

yansag1982

First Name
Yanick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Coupe Sport 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Pros: Looks cool as F***
not on a stock blue hatch with factory rims and not lowered etc.
if you put just the big ass wang on any of those stock sport hatch they have on the lot, it'll look awful.

yansag1982

First Name
Yanick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Coupe Sport 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

yansag1982

First Name
Yanick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Coupe Sport 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That's like, your opinion, man
no doubt...i'm 38...i'm probably past the big wang stage...when we were at the age of big ass wangs we we're into big ass loud fart can exhausts. ? not much better when you think about it.

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic HB ST, '18 Civic HB EX, '04 Ford Ranger
Country flag
no doubt...i'm 38...i'm probably past the big wang stage...when we were at the age of big ass wangs we we're into big ass loud fart can exhausts. ? not much better when you think about it.
The type R wing on the hatch really compliments the lines, especially when paired with the type R roof garnish. But it looks really out of place on sedans and coupes, and GT wings are "too much" imo. I'm also not a fan of 90% of the ducktail spoilers. Loud exhaust and ridiculous bass are usually related to age, but hey, not my money or car :dunno:

dktyson

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah the fart can age thank God isn't prevalent anymore lmao