Windshield Tint Stopped Auto Headlight Feature

ryun84

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sedan EX-T
Hello everyone. First post. Ran a search but didn't find this exact issue, so hopefully I'm not creating a repeat thread.

I just recently tinted all my car windows (windshield included) with ceramic tint and ever since that day, the auto headlight setting doesn't seem to work. It is pitch black outside and when I turn the switch to AUTO, the headlights aren't on and only the DRLs are lit. Not a huge deal as I can just manually turn the headlights on and off, but it is a bit of an annoyance.

Tint installer is a professional with decades of experience and high ratings. The windshield tint is 70%, basically clear, if that matters. I don't believe the installer removed any portion of the dash as far as I can tell. He walked me through the process beforehand and didn't mention having to disassemble the dash. I was wondering if anyone knew where the light sensor is and how it works exactly. Maybe some of the liquid used to apply the tint seeped into the sensor? I don't know. Any help would be appreciated.

2018 Honda Civic Sedan EX-T (no Honda Sensing Suite)
Sponsored

Mugenkb1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Acura RL, 16 Acura MDX, 17 Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT
Country flag
Possible liquid got into it. The censor is that button looking thing on the dash that's right up against the windshield. I had my windshield tinted w/ LLumar Air 70 (pretty much same as yours probably) on this car, and 2 other cars prior, and I never had an issue w/ my autoheadlights due to the tint or the tinting process.

Mugenkb1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Hello everyone. First post. Ran a search but didn't find this exact issue, so hopefully I'm not creating a repeat thread.

I just recently tinted all my car windows (windshield included) with ceramic tint and ever since that day, the auto headlight setting doesn't seem to work. It is pitch black outside and when I turn the switch to AUTO, the headlights aren't on and only the DRLs are lit. Not a huge deal as I can just manually turn the headlights on and off, but it is a bit of an annoyance.

Tint installer is a professional with decades of experience and high ratings. The windshield tint is 70%, basically clear, if that matters. I don't believe the installer removed any portion of the dash as far as I can tell. He walked me through the process beforehand and didn't mention having to disassemble the dash. I was wondering if anyone knew where the light sensor is and how it works exactly. Maybe some of the liquid used to apply the tint seeped into the sensor? I don't know. Any help would be appreciated.

2018 Honda Civic Sedan EX-T (no Honda Sensing Suite)
Which shop did it may I ask? Just curious.

slow2.0

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic LX w/Sensing
Country flag
Couple questions.

Did you tint the ENTIRE front window?

If so, he didn’t make a cutout for the sensor, I would be certain of it. I only did the eyebrow personally and it was cut out around the sensors there behind the mirror.

Mugenkb1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Couple questions.

Did you tint the ENTIRE front window?

If so, he didn’t make a cutout for the sensor, I would be certain of it. I only did the eyebrow personally and it was cut out around the sensors there behind the mirror.
But that’s not where the sensor sits.

Mugenkb1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Weird. When I googled it that’s what turned up. I mean I could be wrong. ‍♂
Yeah cuz for the base models, sport models and such, there’s nothing around the rear view mirror stuff and there’s still the autoheadlight feature. That’s where other sensors sit for touring models.

OP
OP

ryun84

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Which shop did it may I ask? Just curious.
Tintwindows in Costa Mesa. I spoke to the guys earlier today and they said I can bring it in and they'll take a look at it. Gonna drop by this Saturday when I'm off work and give them chance to fix the issue. I'll report back. Besides this problem, everything was great. Tint job was amazing, customer service was top notch. Really sad that this little hiccup had to ruin the whole thing.

OP
OP

ryun84

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Weird. When I googled it that’s what turned up. I mean I could be wrong. ‍♂
Yeah it looks like there's nothing behind my rear-view mirror, sensor-wise (at least in my model). But right in the middle of the dash at the base of the windshield is a plastic "button" which I think is the sensor and that Mugenkb1 pointed out. Very possible that liquid got in there from the install and messed things up. I'm gonna try and see if I can dig up some manual or online video about replacing the unit in case the guys at the tint shop can't do anything about it...

Mugenkb1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Tintwindows in Costa Mesa. I spoke to the guys earlier today and they said I can bring it in and they'll take a look at it. Gonna drop by this Saturday when I'm off work and give them chance to fix the issue. I'll report back. Besides this problem, everything was great. Tint job was amazing, customer service was top notch. Really sad that this little hiccup had to ruin the whole thing.
Yeah, that's too bad. Since you're in the OC area, you should check out Signature Glass Tinting next time. They did all my cars in the past with no issues with the front windshield and the sensor. I've seen when they do the front windshield, they cover the whole dash up to protect it from the water.

OP
OP

ryun84

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just spoke with the guys at the tint shop and they walked me through the process of tinting the windshield. They first place a thick rope/cord along the entire base of the windshield where it meets the dash to act as a sponge and soak up and residual liquid from the application. They also tape off all sensors. They were really helpful while walking me through the process. We even disconnected the battery and removed the sensor to try and see if resetting everything would make it work but no luck yet. Maybe it will magically start working again at night. We'll see. The owner said he'll try and source a working sensor to test on my car. That way we'll know if my sensor is defective.

OP
OP

ryun84

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well good news. The auto headlight feature started working again tonight. I think the fix must have been when the tint guys disconnected the battery earlier today and reset everything. I guess the computer was relearning the brightness levels during the course of the day today. Hopefully things continue to keep working, but so far it looks all good.

Mugenkb1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
That's good to hear. nice of them to also try and do what they can to rectify the issue.

mitchie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I know you sorted this but it could also be the sensitivity settings for the Auto Headlights. This is found in vehicle settings I believe.

Swordfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
Yeah, that's too bad. Since you're in the OC area, you should check out Signature Glass Tinting next time. They did all my cars in the past with no issues with the front windshield and the sensor. I've seen when they do the front windshield, they cover the whole dash up to protect it from the water.
Do they cut on the glass or use a computer ?
Sponsored