18CarEnthusiast18

First Name
N/A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
I searched, but most were old threads with no recent posts. I am betting more people have replaced their windshields in the past 2 years so wondering what the current thoughts are. Got hit with guessing a rock and it did a good starburst, but shortly after before I could even get pulled off at the next exit and parked I got two horizontal streaks on each side as I was stoping at the light to turn so it went from repairable to replacement.... CRAP... Anyway OEM is apparently outrageous pricing so much so I haven't gotten a hard cost form any of the places I called. All the places I called are quoting aftermarket and it is still in the 300-400 range installed.

What did you do OEM or aftermarket? If aftermarket did you notice a difference? What aftermarket brand did you get?

What is so special if anything about our Type R OEM windshields anyway?

Thanks for any thoughts and tips in advance.
Sponsored

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
When I had a rock crack my windshield it split into 3 and chipped the paint on my A-pillar and roof. The estimate for the windshield was a grand total of 1200 while the paint for the pillar and roof was another 1200.

my insurance estimate was quite a bit lower (about 600 lower) since they estimated non-OEM windshield and slightly lower labor rates.

Apparently the shop I had originally took it to actually worked with my insurance (but it wasn’t listed in my insurance’s website for whatever reason). Total ended up being 2000 for the OEM windshield and paint.

Insurance covered everything and I had 0 deductible. Because I wasn’t at fault, my rates didn’t go up.

keep in mind that the windshield replacement requires the panel over the A-pillar to be removed which spans all the way to the rear tail lights. So it may require doors and even the wing to be removed. The shop also replaced the seals or whatever around the windshield as well.

OP
OP

18CarEnthusiast18

First Name
N/A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
When I had a rock crack my windshield it split into 3 and chipped the paint on my A-pillar and roof. The estimate for the windshield was a grand total of 1200 while the paint for the pillar and roof was another 1200.

my insurance estimate was quite a bit lower (about 600 lower) since they estimated non-OEM windshield and slightly lower labor rates.

Apparently the shop I had originally took it to actually worked with my insurance (but it wasn’t listed in my insurance’s website for whatever reason). Total ended up being 2000 for the OEM windshield and paint.

Insurance covered everything and I had 0 deductible. Because I wasn’t at fault, my rates didn’t go up.

keep in mind that the windshield replacement requires the panel over the A-pillar to be removed which spans all the way to the rear tail lights. So it may require doors and even the wing to be removed. The shop also replaced the seals or whatever around the windshield as well.
So a couple things here:

1. So you went with OEM? I can't really find anybody to do OEM even the dealers around here send this work out to 3rd parties and those 3rd parties say they do a handful of OEM each year and rest are aftermarket. Of course none have likely done a Type R yet, but idk...

2. How do you know they had to remove the A-Piller and all that? This must be unique to the Type R as most windshields can be replaced by mobile replacement people that come to you and do in a parking lot or even your garage. So while I have never watched or been in this position I can't imagine it is that complicated. Now it could beg for the Type R, but asking if you know it is different for our cars over others?

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
So a couple things here:

1. So you went with OEM? I can't really find anybody to do OEM even the dealers around here send this work out to 3rd parties and those 3rd parties say they do a handful of OEM each year and rest are aftermarket. Of course none have likely done a Type R yet, but idk...

2. How do you know they had to remove the A-Piller and all that? This must be unique to the Type R as most windshields can be replaced by mobile replacement people that come to you and do in a parking lot or even your garage. So while I have never watched or been in this position I can't imagine it is that complicated. Now it could beg for the Type R, but asking if you know it is different for our cars over others?
1. the dealership I bought the car from owns a body shop that is in my insurance’s (State Farm) network. So that may be why they went OEM.
2. two separate quotes had them R&I both of the A-pillars to get to the windshield and replace it and the gaskets that held it in place. One quote was from the body shop I went to. The other was a quote from my insurance themselves (since no one at my insurance could find that body shop in their system, turns out it was under their former name).

typertimo

TypeRtimo
First Name
Timo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic type R 2020 Toyota Supra
Country flag
What’s up y’all, actually , having replaced my windshield 2 times , whatever shop told you they need to remove the A pillar , is completely nonsense, both times they replaced mine it was an easy job , I watched them do it . And yeah it was a third party that the dealer uses since they don’t do it at the dealership!!
Sorry , don’t mean to sound rude or anything like that!!
Have a great one everyone !

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
What’s up y’all, actually , having replaced my windshield 2 times , whatever shop told you they need to remove the A pillar , is completely nonsense, both times they replaced mine it was an easy job , I watched them do it . And yeah it was a third party that the dealer uses since they don’t do it at the dealership!!
I’m surprised your dealership had the windshield replaced with a non-OEM variant (even if they went third party). That being said, I tried to search the repair guide for it in the cardiagn repair manual that was posted on here. It's even more interesting as the repair instructions for that are completely not there. Kind of odd. Note I did get two independent quotes about windshield repair on my car, one from my insurance and one from the body shop that my dealership owns. In both quotes, they stated removing and installing the A-pillar. In either case, I didn't pay for it, just putting in my experiences. It would be nice to just look at the repair manual for the windshield repair, though I'm not going to pay Honda just to peak at it though. Honestly though, I feel like if it truly weren't needed, my insurance would have no added the removal and installation of the A-pillar body trim/panels to the quote I was given (as it would just be a waste of money).

Last edited:
OP
OP

18CarEnthusiast18

First Name
N/A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
I’m surprised your dealership had the windshield replaced with a non-OEM variant (even if they went third party). That being said, I tried to search the repair guide for it in the cardiagn repair manual that was posted on here. It's even more interesting as the repair instructions for that are completely not there. Kind of odd. Note I did get two independent quotes about windshield repair on my car, one from my insurance and one from the body shop that my dealership owns. In both quotes, they stated removing and installing the A-pillar. In either case, I didn't pay for it, just putting in my experiences. It would be nice to just look at the repair manual for the windshield repair, though I'm not going to pay Honda just to peak at it though. Honestly though, I feel like if it truly weren't needed, my insurance would have no added the removal and installation of the A-pillar body trim/panels to the quote I was given (as it would just be a waste of money).
Honestly some insurance adjusters actually I would say most know little about cars and go off shop estimates and what there computer program says to come up with offers. Thats why more times than not the insurance offer is much less than shop quotes and it takes some arguing to get it right. ha

Phew I am glad to hear this as I was getting worried this was going to be a complicated mess with room for the situation to get worse.. ha With the 3rd party windshields what brands they put in and were you able to tell a difference from the stock one?

typertimo

TypeRtimo
First Name
Timo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic type R 2020 Toyota Supra
Country flag
Honestly some insurance adjusters actually I would say most know little about cars and go off shop estimates and what there computer program says to come up with offers. Thats why more times than not the insurance offer is much less than shop quotes and it takes some arguing to get it right. ha

Phew I am glad to hear this as I was getting worried this was going to be a complicated mess with room for the situation to get worse.. ha With the 3rd party windshields what brands they put in and were you able to tell a difference from the stock one?
Actually , they use a third party just for the installation, all of the parts are Oem including the windshield , there’s no way I’d let them use aftermarket parts or even the windshield and also the dealer does not use aftermarket anything under any circumstances !
Pilkington is the Oem brand .

OP
OP

18CarEnthusiast18

First Name
N/A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
Yeah my dealer I think lets the 3rd party do everything including the windshield. So that being the case I think I am going to go with a different 3rd party who at least uses Pilkington glass which is the same manufacture of OEM. Just the place said only difference should be it won't have the Honda logo. So who knows... Honestly after reading reviews of our OEM glass I am not sure going away from it is a bad thing. Apparently it is very thin and prone to cracking and having issues. I will say from my experience this is true. I have had many rock chops over the years and never had one this bad. This will be my first replacement.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag

Insurance estimate was lower than shop. Both called for removal of A pillar.

OP
OP

18CarEnthusiast18

First Name
N/A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
Insurance estimate was lower than shop. Both called for removal of A pillar.
That is so odd. We shall see as I plan to stay with car when I get it replaced later this week or early next week. I will report back so future people in this crappy situation will know the process.

CanadianFK8

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Country flag
Guys, What is the specific difference in windshields from the Type R vs A regular civic hatchback?

The OEM part numbers are different, and from what I can figure out it is because the regular hatchback has honda sense, and the Type R does not. BUT it seems like the ... what I am going to call "basic" windshield for the R (no sensing or anything) is more expensive than the regular hatchback one.... What am I missing here??? can anyone CONFIRM that a different trim civic windshield will fit the R?

DeVo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R #21399
Country flag
Luckily in my state free windshield replacement is the law if you have full coverage. I filed a claim to have mine replaced and they approved me for a Safelite windshield. I requested OEM and my insurance approved it.

Turbo65

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Country flag
Mine cracked today what a POS never had this happen in nearly 40 years. Safelight glass quoted me $520 installed.
Sponsored