Windshield Replacement

Res0zsfa

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona N, CTR, G35 (sold), 01 s2k, 370z (sold)
Country flag
I took my car to the dealer today to install a auto dimming mirror. They called me and said the factory mirror had broke and it was attached to the windshield. I was pretty frustrated because I wouldn’t be able to pick up the car until about 3 days.
Here is the picture:
Honda Civic 10th gen Windshield Replacement 5FB65F4B-E69B-42D0-85EF-47C3463E795B

I know the windshield will be OEM but I hate to think that they willl be taking out various parts to install the windshield.
my question is, did anyone have issues with the windshield after factory install?
Sponsored

the8rotor

Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Type R
Country flag
No problems here. Went with an aftermarket windshield with oem replacement trim, and the shop did a perfect job.

BogdanM

First Name
Bogdan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Plus 1.5 MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
TypeR is essentialy a Civic Hatch, in terms of body shell. To be able to cleanly remove the windshield one needs to first disassemble the interior A pilars covers (plastic) which takes 5 minutes at most for both of them (one screw and a few plastic tabs). Just the plastic covers, nothing else.
After that, for the cars that have Honda Sensing, all the equipment from the box behind the mirror needs to come off, including the mirror. After that they start cutting the adhesive that holds the glass in place.

without removing the plastic A pillars trim there is no way of reaching the bottom corners of the windshield without scratching the heck out of the trims.

Turbo65

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Country flag
I had no issues, took safelite about 90 minutes

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R 2000 Honda S2000
Country flag
If your CTR has a windshield mounted camera (LKAS) do not use aftermarket window glass. The camera will not calibrate properly and you will be purchasing a windshield twice. OEM Honda glass is the only ones we have been able to calibrate properly, others will cause DTCs with the Lanewatch systems, something within the lamination of the glass that aftermarket glass has. This is very common with the body shop repairs we do. We always check for a Honda "H" on the glass now.

bushido69

First Name
Hiro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SGP Type R, 2012 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT, 2002 Lexus ES300
Country flag
I took my car to the dealer today to install a auto dimming mirror. They called me and said the factory mirror had broke and it was attached to the windshield. I was pretty frustrated because I wouldn’t be able to pick up the car until about 3 days.
Here is the picture:
5FB65F4B-E69B-42D0-85EF-47C3463E795B.jpeg

I know the windshield will be OEM but I hate to think that they willl be taking out various parts to install the windshield.
my question is, did anyone have issues with the windshield after factory install?
Please keep us updated on how the homelink mirror instal goes. If you can also include which model mirror you purchased. Ty

Setanta

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 CRX, 99 Integra Type R, MY19 FK8
Country flag
I lost my windshield at 600km on the clock. It looked like a stine got caught under the wiper and scribed an arc across the driver's side. Honda wouldn't repair it under warentee but my insurance covers me for 1 free windshield per car each year.

It's a long story, but Honda parts supplied the wrong windshield (we have lane keep etc with our CTRs). The windshield repair place had already pulled mine and talked me into a non-genuine.

It was shit. It was warped, the road curved in badly as I moved my head up and down and made me nauseous whenever I turned my head side to side, it didn't fit properly, raw edge was above the windshield seal which was crushed and distorted in part. Lane keep kept going off for no reason even though Honda had recalibrated it to the best of their ability (Honda Australia don't allow windshield services to recalibrate). Back to Honda and we sat it nose to nose with another CTR and you could see how bad the non-OEM windshield was. It was also thicker than the OEM CTR windshield. I know that my 99 ITR has a thinner windshield than other DC2s, I suspect the CTR does too.

I took it back through insurance and they backed me, as did the windshield tech who took one look and said "you are obviously not happy with this".

Honda ordered the correct OEM windshield and a new seal and immediately everything got better. I have no idea who paid for it, but I do know that the calibrations are expensive.

Bottom line for me is: OEM only.

Res0zsfa

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Please keep us updated on how the homelink mirror instal goes. If you can also include which model mirror you purchased. Ty
got my car back a week ago. Dealer ate the charge for homelink and install.. I checked the windshield when I got it back and it had the same “Honda pilkington laminated” logo. Windshield no longer has the roadside assistance phone number but it came with a made in Italy sticker, lol.
In response to the homelink. It came out great. But is it normal to have wires being shown in the back?
Honda Civic 10th gen Windshield Replacement 847A9BA2-B8A4-4A3F-8D9C-77F65BF932CF
Honda Civic 10th gen Windshield Replacement BD7E5CE5-FD9C-4863-933B-BA23C8995A78

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag
So mine broke , rock to windshield and like others I had a heck of a time fighting with anyone to get a OEM on put in. I finally gave up and just said what ever. I watched the whole thing they didnt remove any pillar or anything its just s a standard windshield replacement. They used a FUYAO windshield from what I have read is basically the maker for most all after market windshields and actually have fairly good reviews. I can tell you the R windshield had some sort of film on it and the replacement windshield was actually a lot clearer. I had no issues with he aftermarket windshield. The only time insurance is required to pay for OEM (dependent on individual state laws) is if there are cameras in it. If you r state dose not require it , its gona be a heck of a time getting OEM glass out of the insurance company. Of course there are may variables and its just really hard in my state your state might be easier.
Honda Civic 10th gen Windshield Replacement 20190326_085409

Honda Civic 10th gen Windshield Replacement 20190326_085456

Honda Civic 10th gen Windshield Replacement 20190326_085510

Honda Civic 10th gen Windshield Replacement 20190326_101439

dwag0588

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2006 NC Miata, 2018 Silverado 5.3 (work)
Country flag
got my car back a week ago. Dealer ate the charge for homelink and install.. I checked the windshield when I got it back and it had the same “Honda pilkington laminated” logo. Windshield no longer has the roadside assistance phone number but it came with a made in Italy sticker, lol.
In response to the homelink. It came out great. But is it normal to have wires being shown in the back?
847A9BA2-B8A4-4A3F-8D9C-77F65BF932CF.jpeg
BD7E5CE5-FD9C-4863-933B-BA23C8995A78.jpeg
Do you know the part number for the mirror? The ones that people have used on pre-2020 models won't work due to the Honda Sensing.

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
No its def not normal...what windshield is that????

bushido69

First Name
Hiro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SGP Type R, 2012 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT, 2002 Lexus ES300
Country flag
847A9BA2-B8A4-4A3F-8D9C-77F65BF932CF.jpeg
BD7E5CE5-FD9C-4863-933B-BA23C8995A78.jpeg
I know the dealer comped you for the Homelink installation, did they give you a price?

Res0zsfa

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
No its def not normal...what windshield is that????
Yeah, I was really paranoid that they will put something else on so I went in and took pictures of the broken one. Everything was the same.

Res0zsfa

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I know the dealer comped you for the Homelink installation, did they give you a price?
I was quoted 700 for homelink mirror ($400) and install.. you can probably haggle the install price down.

Mature Banana

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
I purchased the home link mirror and wiring harness from Hondaautoparts.com for just over 300 bucks and installed myself. Took a couple of hours but someone more skilled could have done it in an hour or so. Was fairly easy to install. More than halves the stealer price if you don’t mind installing it.

Honda Civic 10th gen Windshield Replacement 02E03B17-2335-445E-9866-A9196757347D
Sponsored