Windshield Replacement Question

ResortCasual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I have a 2019 ST Hatch, and my windshield is decimated (I drive 100+ freeway miles per day and there's construction EVERYWHERE in Phoenix). I average about 2 windshields per year, doesn't matter the vehicle. I have State Farm with full glass coverage and zero deductible, and they are also paying for the recalibration. What shocked me, though, is that the glass company says the recalibration takes 4-5 HOURS to complete. I use Penske Auto Glass, and Penske owns one of the local Honda dealers, so they do the glass install and recal at that dealership. My question is, is 4-5 hours for the recalibration normal?

I'm used to quick windshield replacements where they come to the parking lot of my work and do the replacement right there. Even my 2014 BMW with sensors was able to be done that way, with no dealer or recalibration involved. Am I going to have to take a day off work every time I need to get this Civic's windshield replaced?
4-5 hours seems like the high end. Mine was more in the 2-3 hours range. It certainly was not a 10-minute operation. I just left my car at the shop in the morning, Lyft-ed back to work, and it was done in the afternoon.

FYI...I had to have my windshield replaced twice as the first time they used an OEM glass and were not able to calibrate properly. I drove around for a week with a bunch of warning lights blinking at me and most of my Honda Sensing system deactivated until they could get some Honda glass in. The second go-around everything was fine. So you might want to inquire about Honda glass to potentially avoid what happened in my case. For obvious reasons, insurance companies want to use the cheaper OEM glass if they can - but it seems to make a difference in the case of my 2016 Touring.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Homer2556

Homer2556

First Name
Robby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Touring sedan (mine), '12 Ody Touring Elite (the wife's)
Country flag
I have a 2019 ST Hatch, and my windshield is decimated (I drive 100+ freeway miles per day and there's construction EVERYWHERE in Phoenix). I average about 2 windshields per year, doesn't matter the vehicle. I have State Farm with full glass coverage and zero deductible, and they are also paying for the recalibration. What shocked me, though, is that the glass company says the recalibration takes 4-5 HOURS to complete. I use Penske Auto Glass, and Penske owns one of the local Honda dealers, so they do the glass install and recal at that dealership. My question is, is 4-5 hours for the recalibration normal?

I'm used to quick windshield replacements where they come to the parking lot of my work and do the replacement right there. Even my 2014 BMW with sensors was able to be done that way, with no dealer or recalibration involved. Am I going to have to take a day off work every time I need to get this Civic's windshield replaced?
Safelite quoted me 90 minutes for install and 90 minutes for recalibration. I dropped the car off before 8:00 on my way to work, and it was done by 11:30.

Mae22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatch Sport Touring Aegean Blue Metallic
Country flag
Safelite quoted me 90 minutes for install and 90 minutes for recalibration. I dropped the car off before 8:00 on my way to work, and it was done by 11:30.
Safelite did the recalibration? I’ve been told by several glass companies that the recalibration can only be done at the dealership.

OP
OP
Homer2556

Homer2556

First Name
Robby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Touring sedan (mine), '12 Ody Touring Elite (the wife's)
Country flag
Yes, but they had to do it at their shop. Couldn’t be done remote.
Sponsored