Windshield Replacement on Models with Honda Sensing

1WickedCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX Sedan, 2007 Mercedes Benz C230 Sport 6MT
Ugh. Is your vehicle just a base EX (no Sensing)? That's concerning.
Yeah, just the base EX without sensing. Price includes parts ("dealer" glass, moldings, trim, glue, etc) & labor. Because it is a windshield, the car has to go in their shop in the 1st thing in the morning & pickup late afternoon, to give enough time for the glue to set.
Sponsored

MichaelC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Sport Hatchback
Country flag
In 3 years or so of driving an 8th gen, despite plenty of rock hits I never had a chipped or cracked windshield. Within days of buying the 9th gen, a rock caused a crack. I too I had the same problem with availability (was only available from Honda, $$$) since this was the first year for that generation, and decided to wait for a third-party windshield to become available about 6 months later. Amusingly, soon after THAT windshield was installed, it too was hit and cracked.

My suspicion was that the more sloped windshield of the 8th gen allowed rocks to deflect off of it better than the 9th gen, which was more upright. Not sure how it compares to the 10th gen though.

905User

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
This happened to me on Monday on my 2016 Civic touring edition on the Gardiner expressway. Checked out Apple Auto Glass and because the crack started near the frame they were unable to fix it. They also checked for an aftermarket windsheild and none were available so off to the dealer I went.

I was quoted $560CDN for the glass (OEM) and ~$300CDN labour. So it looks like rocks from the highway and construction upset are a $860CDN cost.

Sad thing is the glass is on backorder and I have to wait until it comes in before I can schedule an appointment to get it installed. I've put superglue in the crack to help prevent it from spreading but I'm not optimistic.

Sad thing is, it didn't seem like a big stone that hit it :-(

MichaelC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Sport Hatchback
Country flag
My suspicion was that the more sloped windshield of the 8th gen allowed rocks to deflect off of it better than the 9th gen, which was more upright. Not sure how it compares to the 10th gen though.
Correction to the above... I made an assumption that the 8th gen Civic windshield was more sloped than the 9th, but apparently that is not the case. With my 9th gen now moved from the garage to the driveway, where it sits next to my wife's old 8th gen (both are now kids' cars), I can see that the windshields are approximately the same slope. So, I guess years of being hit with rocks without effect in the 8th gen, followed by TWO instances of rocks causing cracks in the 9th gen are attributable either to weaker glass or bad luck.

Jon Snow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Cosmic Blue Metallic
Country flag
Quote for me was ~US$550 for the part, total with labor and tax was ~$750. Problem is the guy says Honda told him the part is backordered for 6 months (!), it's a dealer-only part, and there is no aftermarket part available yet.

Fortunately mine is only cracked so I guess I can wait, but what happens if you actually have a hole, or the whole windshield is gone? You just have no car for 6+ months? It's ridiculous that Honda didn't ramp up production of the parts to a reasonable level. OR, there's a defect in the glass that required a re-design that they aren't telling anyone about.

1WickedCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX Sedan, 2007 Mercedes Benz C230 Sport 6MT
Quote for me was ~US$550 for the part, total with labor and tax was ~$750. Problem is the guy says Honda told him the part is backordered for 6 months (!), it's a dealer-only part, and there is no aftermarket part available yet.
6 months doesn't sound right - my glass took a rock hit on June 16 & glass got replaced yesterday, so about a month wait. I would try a different glass place.

allroy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
Had a similar issue. Wife's 2016 Civic had the windshield replaced with a Safelite windshield. Immediately the Honda sensing stopped working. The Safelite guy said the installation may mess it up due to the angles of the cameras getting off track =. Took it to one Honda dealership and they refused to look at it unless it had an official Honda windshield. The part that ticked me off is they pulled out a service notice that said the sensing MAY be off by a non-Honda windshield. May? So I could pay them $900 for a new windshield and still need to get the sensing fixed? Took it to another Honda dealership about 4 months later and they re-calibrated it for about $220. Maybe the problem caught them off guard, but I was happy they were able to fix the system. For a while I was really ticked that I paid extra money for that feature that was then useless.

Kaali

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2017 EX-T
Got my window replaced...the window came from Honda..up here in Canada installed was just over 500.00
I have the Touring model
How long did it take you to get the windshield? Did you fix it thorugh dealer or speedy ? I have a same problem, m so stressed . Honda is saying its on back order.. please help

Canndo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda White 4-Door -Turbo 1.5
allroy is right on about the windshield being a Honda Glass, in SC it cost 572.00 and the car has to set for 24-30 hours . For it part of the car body on the sensing models , no not just window glass . 6-24-2017. Back order 3 weeks here

sunnysunday

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic ex-t 2016
Country flag
Windshield installers will definitely not know how to calibrate sensing back in working order.

It took the dealer 2 days to recalibrate mine and they didn’t even do a good job. It pulls to the left so now I gotta take it back in to have them try again

Sensing calibration is priced at 290$

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
It took the dealer 2 days to recalibrate mine and they didn’t even do a good job. It pulls to the left so now I gotta take it back in to have them try again
Pulls to the left as in LKAS steers through lane lines to the left?

I'm not sure why the monocular camera would be a calibration item since the precise aiming of the camera shouldn't matter to the algorithm--because it's its own feedback loop. I wish I had (free) access to the manual; I'd love to read the relevant theory of operations sections. I can imagine that boresighting the radar might matter--but it's not like it's mounted in the most rigid/highly controlled location ether.

sunnysunday

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic ex-t 2016
Country flag
The car goes too far to the left as if alignment is off.

And on the passenger side it’s like it reads too far into the other lane. I had to turn it off cuz on the freeway the damn car thinks I’m gonna crash into the car in the right lane and pumps the breaks

Damn car has been a beautiful nightmare

Marshsparrow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Touring Hatch, 2013 Honda Civic EX, 2007 Honda Civic
Country flag
Had to replace windshield in my 2017 hatch sport touring - $1200 Cdn here in Ottawa - hurts!

Tyler611

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
I bought my Civic back in May. Not long after purchasing it, I took a rock to the windshield that split it up the middle. I took it to a Techna Glass repair shop. They suggested an aftermarket windshield. I asked them if it would work with all the sensing gear. They said that it should. The lane sensing hasn’t worked since. I took it to Honda to get calibrated but they said everything was fine with the equipment and that the windshield was my problem. I took it back to the glass shop and they insisted aftermarket would be fine and replaced it again (this time for free). I’m still having problems. They are saying Honda just isn’t calibrating it because it’s aftermarket. I want them to replace it with OEM to make sure it works... does Honda block aftermarket from working? It seems ridiculous that it wouldn’t. It’s making me consider not buying Honda in the future.

Mdkumar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2016
Country flag
The car goes too far to the left as if alignment is off.

And on the passenger side it’s like it reads too far into the other lane. I had to turn it off cuz on the freeway the damn car thinks I’m gonna crash into the car in the right lane and pumps the breaks

Damn car has been a beautiful nightmare
mine is doing the same after replacing the windshield and lkas camera re-calibration. were you able to fix the issue?
Sponsored