SourOnCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic LX
Country flag
tl;dr: 2016 Honda Civic LX sedan windshield has unacceptable level of distortion

Hi, new guy here, also new to Honda. I posted about another issue here (tire pressure gauge turned on, sup wit dat), but the windshield issue is why I joined (after lurking a couple weeks).

Bought an LX last week, been noticing subtle warping, rippling/wavy distortions in the windshield glass when stopped, driving slowly or turning -- especially in parking garages (i.e. my daily drive). It's distracting enough to mess with my focus and thus gives me eye strain. It's hard to explain unless you see it yourself. The glass also has a TON of glare and reflects every line and surface on the dash, making the glass even less transparent.

The mirrors do funny things with glare too, and the effect of the interior rear view mirror on the sloped rear glass gives it a super out of focus, funhouse mirror effect, making it useless. While the mirror issue can be rectified with an aftermarket clip-on, the distorted windshield is unacceptable. I could live with it, but I'd not want to drive it anywhere.

I took it back to the dealer yesterday and none of the techs or sales guys could see what I was talking about. We sat in a few cars and I told them to look at a sign and shift your body side to side and look at the distortion. Or look for the waves when you're driving. I think if they saw what I saw in my parking garage they might change their minds and I even offered to drive a tech to my parking garage half a mile away, but they declined my offer and said that since they couldn't see the issue to begin with on their lot they couldn't put in a warranty order to Honda to fix the perceived defect. Six people at the dealer couldn't see what I was talking about, so I'm resigned not to keep pushing it. Were I really interested in pushing it, I'd go to Honda dealers all around the area until a tech noticed what I was talking about. Instead I will get my eyes checked and/or go with plan D (we'll get to that).

To my horror, I sat in a couple other LX on their lot just to see if it was only my car and the others had even WORSE distortion. Could it be my eyes? I've never had a Civic before and my prior car was a Mazda 6 which had an absolutely clear windshield -- as you'd assume all cars would.

I've read Honda's FAQ about "cross-car distortion" that appears on the edges of a windshield due to sitting too low in a car, but that's not what this is; it's all over my field of vision. It's so subtle that it's almost not worth complaining about if I had the car temporarily or as a rental. But not for a car that I planned on driving until the wheels fell off.

Also FWIW, I reported that the brakes make a light airy hiss when you step on them at low speeds but I'm going to chalk that up as a minor issue since none of the techs noticed it when they tested the car. I'd have to realistically give it a couple thousand miles to break in the brakes (pardon the pun)...not that I see myself giving it a couple hundred more miles in this lemon.

Anyhoo, since there is nothing I can do if OEM glass is distorted across a bad batch of cars and/or this is just my eyes (I assume this issue isn't across the board or this forum would be littered with complaints), my options are basically to (A) get my eyes checked (yup), (B) live with a crappy windshield (nope), (C) take it to a professional glass installer shop to pay for a new windshield out of pocket and risk getting non-OEM replacement glass and/or OEM replacement glass sourced by...Honda (meh), or (D) sell/trade my car to someone else who doesn't see the distortions (sure why not it's Memorial Day). I *think* the dealer's return policy means you trade the car in for the same model, so that's a non-starter. I could risk waiting for the Maryland lemon law to extricate me from this jam but I don't want to wait around for that. Hence plan D. ;)

My question to you guys is: is your windshield fine? Wondering if this is just a bad batch or if they're all terrible? I don't want you guys to go looking for distortions on your windshield -- I didn't have to go looking for them; I saw them once and now can't unsee them -- but at the same time I want to make sure this isn't a model-wide defect in the redesign.

fin
Sponsored

Last edited:

Maheenstar1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic LX
Country flag
I live near you in northern VA. I also have the LX trim and there are no problems with the windshield for me.

OP
OP

SourOnCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic LX
Country flag
I live near you in northern VA. I also have the LX trim and there are no problems with the windshield for me.
Can I ask what dealer you got it from or where/when yours was manufactured (it should say it in the door frame)? Might have to check out their models. Thanks!

nicoled985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-L Sedan
Country flag
I dont have the LX, have the EX L manufactured in Mar 2016. I have no distortion. If you do have distortion don't give up. See if you can capture it on camera.

xjoshuax89

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 CR-V SE, '16 Civic EX, '17 Civic HB ST
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
tl;dr: 2016 Honda Civic LX sedan windshield has unacceptable level of distortion

Hi, new guy here, also new to Honda. I posted about another issue here (tire pressure gauge turned on, sup wit dat), but the windshield issue is why I joined (after lurking a couple weeks).

Bought an LX last week, been noticing subtle warping, rippling/wavy distortions in the windshield glass when stopped, driving slowly or turning -- especially in parking garages (i.e. my daily drive). It's distracting enough to mess with my focus and thus gives me eye strain. It's hard to explain unless you see it yourself. The glass also has a TON of glare and reflects every line and surface on the dash, making the glass even less transparent.

The mirrors do funny things with glare too, and the effect of the interior rear view mirror on the sloped rear glass gives it a super out of focus, funhouse mirror effect, making it useless. While the mirror issue can be rectified with an aftermarket clip-on, the distorted windshield is unacceptable. I could live with it, but I'd not want to drive it anywhere.

I took it back to the dealer yesterday (Herson's Honda in Rockville, MD) and none of the techs or sales guys could see what I was talking about. We sat in a few cars and I told them to look at a sign and shift your body side to side and look at the distortion. Or look for the waves when you're driving. I think if they saw what I saw in my parking garage they might change their minds and I even offered to drive a tech to my parking garage half a mile away, but since they couldn't see it the issue to begin with they couldn't put in a warranty order to Honda to fix the perceived defect. Six people at the dealer couldn't see what I was talking about, so I'm resigned not to keep pushing it. Were I really interested in pushing it, I'd go to Honda dealers all around the area until a tech noticed what I was talking about. Instead I will get my eyes checked and/or go with plan D (we'll get to that).

To my horror, I sat in a couple other LX on their lot just to see if it was only my car and the others had even WORSE distortion. Could it be my eyes? I've never had a Civic before and my prior car was a Mazda 6 which had an absolutely clear windshield -- as you'd assume all cars would.

I've read Honda's FAQ about "cross-car distortion" that appears on the edges of a windshield due to sitting too low in a car, but that's not what this is; it's all over my field of vision. It's so subtle that it's almost not worth complaining about if I had the car temporarily or as a rental. But not for a car that I planned on driving until the wheels fell off.

Also FWIW, I reported that the brakes make a light airy hiss when you step on them at low speeds but I'm going to chalk that up as a minor issue since none of the techs noticed it when they tested the car. I'd have to realistically give it a couple thousand miles to break in the brakes (pardon the pun)...not that I see myself giving it a couple hundred more miles in this lemon.

Anyhoo, since there is nothing I can do if OEM glass is distorted across a bad batch of cars and/or this is just my eyes (I assume this issue isn't across the board or this forum would be littered with complaints), my options are basically to (A) get my eyes checked (yup), (B) live with a crappy windshield (nope), (C) take it to a professional glass installer shop to pay for a new windshield out of pocket and risk getting non-OEM replacement glass and/or OEM replacement glass sourced by...Honda (meh), or (D) sell/trade my car to someone else who doesn't see the distortions (sure why not it's Memorial Day). I *think* the dealer's return policy means you trade the car in for the same model, so that's a non-starter. I could risk waiting for the Maryland lemon law to extricate me from this jam (for either this issue or the tire pressure gauge issue) but I don't want to wait around for that. Hence plan D. ;)

My question to you guys is: is your windshield fine? Wondering if this is just a bad batch or if they're all terrible? I don't want you guys to go looking for distortions on your windshield -- I didn't have to go looking for them; I saw them once and now can't unsee them -- but at the same time I want to make sure this isn't a model-wide defect in the redesign.

fin
Psst. Gack... Criswell is in Germantown not Hersons. My bad *edited* Just woke up >.<

Now that being said, I haven't had an issue with my windshield yet.

Last edited:
OP
OP

SourOnCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic LX
Country flag
It most certainly is in RV! Maybe it used to be located in GT back in the day, perhaps where Fitzmall is? But it is right next to the Lexus dealer on 355 between Gude and Shady Grove Rd.

Where/when did you buy yours? Maybe I'll go to a different dealer. I think this dealer's got a bad batch.

Last edited:

xjoshuax89

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Gack... Sorry still clearing out cobwebs from waking up now. Its Criswell thats in Germantown not Hersons. Keep on mixing those two together lol. Don't like them both lol.

OP
OP

SourOnCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic LX
Country flag
Haha no probs, it happens to the best of us. When/where did you get yours? I'd like to pay them a visit.

xjoshuax89

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Haha no probs, it happens to the best of us. When/where did you get yours? I'd like to pay them a visit.
Got my EX almost a month ago but I got it at Sport Honda. Herson's gave me a terrible price, barely below MSRP. Criswell was close to matching Sport but rude as hell salesperson and they were late in the offer. I've purchased Honda's at all 3 dealers before but Sport is my only repeat place.

OP
OP

SourOnCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic LX
Country flag
Cool, will check them out. Just sent them an appraisal request for my...trade-in. lol.

Last edited:
OP
OP

SourOnCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic LX
Country flag
I don't really care about the price at this point, just looking for a car with a decent windshield that can be decent on gas without having to look like you're sitting in a gun turret. Hell, I'd trade it in for a 1992 Accord and a trunk full of cash. :D

My bro's suggestion is just trade it in for a competitor's 2016 model which dealers are trying to push off their lots to make room for their hideous 2017 redesign that's already out. My suggestion is I trade it with him directly for his own car, which I love lol. Financially disadvantageous, however my commute is two miles so like I said, anything will do, even a 2011 car with low miles. Like my screenname says, I'm new to the Civic but I feel it would be risky to get another one. Especially considering the windshield issue, the inexplicable warning light (edit: fixed TPMS), the hissy brakes and the blurry headache-inducing mirrors. Are the interior rear view mirrors crap on everyone's Civic? Or did my dealer just get a terrible batch?

/rant

Last edited:

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I live and work right next to Herson's, it most certainly is in Rockville! Maybe it used to be located in Germantown back in the day, perhaps where Fitzmall is? But Herson's is right next to the Lexus dealer on 355 between Gude and Shady Grove Rd.

Where/when did you buy yours? Maybe I'll go to a different dealer. I think Herson's got a bad batch.
Sorry to hear you issue with this, but why do you think its dealer-specific? I would visit a different dealer to have different techs look at it, this obviously isn't normal, but it could be something as innocuous as the windshield not being seated properly from the factory.

What warning lights have you had?

And my rearview mirror's been completely fine.

nicoled985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-L Sedan
Country flag
I don't really care about the price at this point, just looking for a car with a decent windshield that can be decent on gas without having to look like you're sitting in a gun turret. Hell, I'd trade it in for a 1992 Accord and a trunk full of cash. :D

My bro's suggestion is just trade it in for an Elantra 2016 which dealers are trying to push off their lots to make room for the hideous 2017 redesign that's already out. My suggestion is I trade it with him directly for his 2011 Elantra, which I love. Financially disadvantageous, however my commute is 2.4 miles so like I said, anything will do, even a 2011 car with 38k miles. Like my screenname says, I'm new to the Civic but I feel it would be risky to get another one. Especially considering the windshield issue, the inexplicable warning lights, the hissy brakes and the blurry headache-inducing mirrors. Are the interior rear view mirrors crap on everyone's Civic? Or did Herson's just get a terrible batch?

/rant
Sounds like you may be the only one with this issue. You may need to see an eye doctor like someone said, no offense

OP
OP

SourOnCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic LX
Country flag
None taken, but other people I've shown it to can also see the defects.

I think it could be dealer specific or maybe region specific, based on a complete hunch. Also this is the LX, the base trim, which maybe Honda skimped on. It would be hilarious if another dealer had the same issue in the LX but normal non-funhouse glass in the EX and above.

Re the warning light, it was the tire pressure indicator. I figured it out finally by trial and error (hold exclamation mark button found on dash left of the steering wheel).

I don't want to give up on this car just yet, because I'm sure it is a great car.
Sponsored