usagora

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport 1.5L Turbo
Country flag
Just happened to look outside my office window and noticed all the windows on my '19 Civic Hatchback Sport were rolled down! Rain was in the area, so thank God I noticed before it started to downpour.

So, when I was researching Civics (just bought mine a couple weeks ago) I had read that there was a feature where you can use the FOB to make all the windows and sunroof open at the same time, but I thought that was only for the EX and above. But apparently all trim levels offer this, at least for the 2019 models, because after discovering all my windows down (no sunroof on my car), I remembered that the guy who demonstrated this feature on YouTube said to roll the windows back up, you had to put the key in the driver's door, turn left once to lock and then turn left again and hold the key until the windows rolled back up. Well, that worked. And then I tried the the opening procedure (press unlock on FOB once, then press again and hold) and it worked as well.

But here's the thing - I never did that before (pressed unlock on Fob twice, holding down the second time), so how the heck did the windows roll down earlier? Has anyone else had this happen to them? And these windows were ALL the way down, not opened just an inch or two, so it would have had to be a LONG, deliberate press to make them go all the way down. The only thing I can think of is somehow I inadvertently pressed the FOB against something while seated (I have it on a key ring on a carabiner clipped to my beltloop) - but it would have had to happen twice and kept pressure on it the second time.

P.S. Why didn't Honda just make it so you press the LOCK button twice (holding down the 2nd time) to make the windows/sunroof close)? Seems stupid and illogical that you have to use the physical key to do that. If you can use the FOB to open them, why not to close as well? Strange...
Sponsored

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
It's a safety hazard to have the windows close automatically. God forbid it happens accidentally with kids or pets in the car.

OP
OP
usagora

usagora

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It's a safety hazard to have the windows close automatically. God forbid it happens accidentally with kids or pets in the car.
I'm assuming this is in reference to my P.S. Well it's also a hazard to have them open automatically (weather, theft). Of course, by design, it's supposed to NOT be automatic, but deliberate (press twice and hold).

turbo lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
Don't all modern cars have anti-pinch sensors on the power windows? All the other cars that I've owned have allowed the windows to be closed with the remote, so the NHTSA doesn't seem to have any safety concerns about that feature.

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've bent over and had the windows open. Things in your pocket. I've also leaned against things and watched it happen

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Don't all modern cars have anti-pinch sensors on the power windows? All the other cars that I've owned have allowed the windows to be closed with the remote, so the NHTSA doesn't seem to have any safety concerns about that feature.
"Pinching" is not what I am concerned about. It's the summer heat with the windows closed. I don't know what the NHTSA rules are. I would not want my car to have that feature, though.

turbo lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
"Pinching" is not what I am concerned about. It's the summer heat with the windows closed. I don't know what the NHTSA rules are. I would not want my car to have that feature, though.
I'd rather have the feature and the option to disable it, instead of what Honda does and not even giving it as an option.

OP
OP
usagora

usagora

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Ok, I am so PISSED right now! ? Since the time I posted this thread, my windows have all rolled down about 5 more times, and this last time (just now) it was raining and the inside got soaked. How the F*&^ this is happening is beyond me. I have my FOB on my carabiner, like I mentioned, but I don't know now I could possibly be pressing that middle button (unlock) 2 times in a row without knowing it. I guess I'm going to have to remove my key every day when I get to work and put it in a lock box. WHY do they not give you a way to disable this feature?!

Abbie269

First Name
Abbie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic LX
Country flag
Just happened to look outside my office window and noticed all the windows on my '19 Civic Hatchback Sport were rolled down! Rain was in the area, so thank God I noticed before it started to downpour.

So, when I was researching Civics (just bought mine a couple weeks ago) I had read that there was a feature where you can use the FOB to make all the windows and sunroof open at the same time, but I thought that was only for the EX and above. But apparently all trim levels offer this, at least for the 2019 models, because after discovering all my windows down (no sunroof on my car), I remembered that the guy who demonstrated this feature on YouTube said to roll the windows back up, you had to put the key in the driver's door, turn left once to lock and then turn left again and hold the key until the windows rolled back up. Well, that worked. And then I tried the the opening procedure (press unlock on FOB once, then press again and hold) and it worked as well.

But here's the thing - I never did that before (pressed unlock on Fob twice, holding down the second time), so how the heck did the windows roll down earlier? Has anyone else had this happen to them? And these windows were ALL the way down, not opened just an inch or two, so it would have had to be a LONG, deliberate press to make them go all the way down. The only thing I can think of is somehow I inadvertently pressed the FOB against something while seated (I have it on a key ring on a carabiner clipped to my beltloop) - but it would have had to happen twice and kept pressure on it the second time.

P.S. Why didn't Honda just make it so you press the LOCK button twice (holding down the 2nd time) to make the windows/sunroof close)? Seems stupid and illogical that you have to use the physical key to do that. If you can use the FOB to open them, why not to close as well? Strange...

Abbie269

First Name
Abbie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic LX
Country flag
I feel your pain! I'm having the same problem - also, with my trunk popping open for no reason. After talking to them at American Honda (1-800-999-1009), they suggested that my key fob was probably bad, and to take it to the dealer. I'm going there tomorrow.

OP
OP
usagora

usagora

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I feel your pain! I'm having the same problem - also, with my trunk popping open for no reason. After talking to them at American Honda (1-800-999-1009), they suggested that my key fob was probably bad, and to take it to the dealer. I'm going there tomorrow.
Yeah, I've had to get in the habit of removing my FOB from my key ring every day now and the issue hasn't reoccurred, so for me it must've been me actually leaning against it somehow. I still can't picture how I was doing that, and of course I can't hear the windows rolling down from inside, so I can't immediately look down to see if I'm indeed leaning on it at that moment. Thankfully my hatch doesn't "pop" open when unlocked - you have to press the button on the hatch before it releases.

Nemesai285

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX Sedan
Country flag
I don't know, maybe at this point you might need to install a killswitch to avoid these electronic malfunctions when you aren't near it, crazy.

OP
OP
usagora

usagora

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I don't know, maybe at this point you might need to install a killswitch to avoid these electronic malfunctions when you aren't near it, crazy.
Actually, I'm within about 30 feet of my Civic when this is happening - it's parked just outside my office and my desk is just inside the door. That's why I say I must be inadvertently pressing the unlock button (twice in a row, holding it the second time). Don't ask me how, but there's no other explanation, and ever since I've gotten in the habit of removing my FOB from my key ring and setting it on the desk every morning, it hasn't happened again. I actually like the feature in and of itself, and used it during the summer to quickly let the heat out of the car right before I went to leave. Too bad the buttons aren't recessed.

OP
OP
usagora

usagora

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You should try to get a key fob cover thats thick so less chance of activating the buttons.
If you or someone else knows of one that will fit mine, let me know. Seems like every one on Amazon is for the "Smart Key" - Mine is this kind:

Honda Civic 10th gen Windows rolling down by themselves? 1634161132532
Sponsored