GutlessGnat

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
So I went somewhere with my buddy he was walking to a different spot so he asked for the keys so he could get in as he would be back to the car before me.

I get back to the car. He is sitting in the back all the windows are cracked part way and the moon roof is cracked partly. It was raining a bit.

He handed me the keys through the window and said idk what's going on I just unlocked it and got in and all the windows dropped and it locked me in.

I tried to press the unlock button the doors wouldn't unlock from the fob. The accessory was on..radio was on. I asked him to reach up and press the start on the car and then I could unlock it.

He says he didn't press anything. But what I think happened is he walked up to the car pressed the unlock button a bunch of times and got in the back seat and the windows cracked with the feature.

He then couldn't get the windows up so he hit the push button start and turned the radio on and then sat there waiting for me to get back.

Is that what happened ?
Sponsored

redcoats1976

First Name
jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic coupe,2015 camaro RS
Country flag
im not sure.have come out to find the windows halfway down in my coupe on a rainy morning,and read the manual without finding any answers.

Vic_L

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
So I went somewhere with my buddy he was walking to a different spot so he asked for the keys so he could get in as he would be back to the car before me.

I get back to the car. He is sitting in the back all the windows are cracked part way and the moon roof is cracked partly. It was raining a bit.

He handed me the keys through the window and said idk what's going on I just unlocked it and got in and all the windows dropped and it locked me in.

I tried to press the unlock button the doors wouldn't unlock from the fob. The accessory was on..radio was on. I asked him to reach up and press the start on the car and then I could unlock it.

He says he didn't press anything. But what I think happened is he walked up to the car pressed the unlock button a bunch of times and got in the back seat and the windows cracked with the feature.

He then couldn't get the windows up so he hit the push button start and turned the radio on and then sat there waiting for me to get back.

Is that what happened ?
The windows + roof can be remotely opened using the keyfob.

Press the unlock button once.
Press and hold the unlock button, and the windows + roof will automatically roll down.
If you release the unlock button during, it will stop, so your windows + roof can be opened part way.

I'm thinking that is what your buddy accidentally did.
As for locking himself in, I am not sure if the car automatically re-locks itself after the above action is done, though.

Deleted User 1886347

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Not that I am aware of.
From my understanding, It has been an existing "feature" on Honda's a good couple of generations now...
Yet it’s the most annoying feature.

When I don’t want it to do it, it’ll do it sometimes in my pocket or my bag without intentionally doing it. I’ll come outside to find my windows down/sunroof open. Always happens too when it’s raining or snowing.

But when I want to do it to get the hot air out in the middle of a heat wave before I get to my car, and do the required sequence, does it work? Nooooo ?

rhino

First Name
jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 sr5 access cab, 98 civic hx ej7, 2003 KLX400s
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yet it’s the most annoying feature.

When I don’t want it to do it, it’ll do it sometimes in my pocket or my bag without intentionally doing it. I’ll come outside to find my windows down/sunroof open. Always happens too when it’s raining or snowing.

But when I want to do it to get the hot air out in the middle of a heat wave before I get to my car, and do the required sequence, does it work? Nooooo ?
thats the way things work dont you know!

tbh ive never had that issues mine has always worked when i wanted it to plus my keyfob has case around it so i cant hit the buttons

rwsmith123

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
Interesting that this only seems to happen when it's raining.

If it ever happens to me, I'll know it was an electrical problem and not from an accidental key fob button press:
Honda Civic 10th gen Windows cracked with my buddy inside. IMG_20210420_212046178

Deleted User 1886347

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
thats the way things work dont you know!

tbh ive never had that issues mine has always worked when i wanted it to plus my keyfob has case around it so i cant hit the buttons
Honestly I think it’s just a me thing, because all my Hondas have done it. Some days my remote wants to cooperate. Other days it wants to be a jackass. Love/hate relationship with this smart key crap :crazy:

I bought red silicone covers, which helped a lot with the accidental presses.

Jwolf

I Think I'm Fast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 86, '19 CTR, Some other stuff
Country flag
Reading this I thought your shit was broken until later in the post...

This feature is great, at least I like it. Works flawlessly on both my Hondas, 2006 and 2019. Teach your friend how to let go of the button.

SDSport6MT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport 6mt
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Did he sit in the passenger seat? I know there is a function that keeps all the doors locked until the drivers door is opened. If he didn’t ever open the drivers door when he got in the car it could have just relocked which it does if a door isn’t opened after unlocking it. The windows were probably from pushing the button more than once as others have mentioned.

OP
OP
GutlessGnat

GutlessGnat

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
Ya he climbed in the back seat and sat down. He is known to mash buttons over and over if it doesn't work the first time.

Cody

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
You can also roll all the windows up using the key in the door. Just lock it twice, and on the second turn hold it until they roll up.

MaxPower

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si sedan ABM, 2017 CR-V EX, formerly 2005 Saab 9-2x, 1986 Prelude Si
Country flag
Reading this I thought your shit was broken until later in the post...
I know. Reading the title, I imagined a guy sitting in a Civic, quietly minding his business, when all of a sudden every single piece of glass spontaneously and dramatically shatters around him. He covers his head as chunks of moonroof shower his body. And I pictured all of this in slo-mo.

Not gonna lie, the actual thread content was a bit of a letdown.
Sponsored