Windowing Tinting on 17' Civic LX hatchback

LeaveEarly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic HB LX HS
Does anyone know what tint the base LX hatchback comes from Honda?

In ONTARIO, Is 70% opacity the limit for driver and passenger side?

(see page 77, 78 under "tinting" http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/trucks/pdfs/passenger-light-duty-vehicle-inspection-standard.pdf)

(see section 73, 74 https://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/90h08#BK133)

The tint shop is telling me that 30% is okay on new vehicles for driver side or passenger? From reading the inspection document it says 70%. To dumbify it for me, lower is darker right? 70% would be almost no tint at all then right?

I am getting the job done tomorrow and won't to be sure what is legal or not. The aggressive look of the car alone is enough to draw heads, don't want to draw anymore attention.
Sponsored

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
Opacity is the inverse of transmittance, which is what most tint films come in. Lower is darker, depending on what you're referring to.

When you get 30% tint, it means it'll only let 30% of light through.

If you're really worried about the law (I wouldn't be as long as you don't limo-tint the front), ask the shop to put whatever tint you want on the glass, and ask them to do a reading. There are meters that measure light transmittance and most tint shops should have one. There are also apps for it, or you can use a dslr (google).

Now, being completely honest, there will be millions of Civics - yours isn't going to turn anyone's head unless you do do something to stand out.

Also, I'm jealous - no front tint at all in BC :(

OP
OP
LeaveEarly

LeaveEarly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic HB LX HS
See the way I read it needs to let in 70% light minimum. I think I will go 20 on the back seats and that's it

ShuJam

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Touring Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've gotten 35% tint on top of whatever the windows come with from the factory on my last 3 cars, and never had a problem with Toronto Police or the OPP. Just don't tint your front windshield with anything (except a strip along the top if you wish) or go darker than 35% or 30% on the front door windows, and you should be fine. Back windows and rear glass you can go darker. I also got the moonroof tinted with 15% on top of the slightly darker glass already from the factory. I like to drive with the shade open to allow some light in, but still wanted it tinted enough so that the top of my head doesn't roast from the overhead sun.

Formula One - Pinnacle tint is a good quality tint with great heat rejection and UV protection. I got this on my Civic, mainly because I had it on my last car, which I had for 11 years, and had no problems whatsoever with fading or discolouring. The pic of my car in my avatar is pre-tint - it actually looks much darker now.

BothFamily

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring 6M
Vehicle Showcase
ShuJam - I'm getting my windows done tomorrow with that very product. I've been using Formula 1 products for over 20 years - Not cheap, but worth it based on quality and the fact, that you get a warranty card, that any other licensed dealer in North America, can help you - should you have an issue.

ShuJam

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Touring Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
ShuJam - I'm getting my windows done tomorrow with that very product. I've been using Formula 1 products for over 20 years - Not cheap, but worth it based on quality and the fact, that you get a warranty card, that any other licensed dealer in North America, can help you - should you have an issue.
Plus it's a lifetime warranty. You can't beat that either!
Sponsored