Window tinting. Would it be weird...

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Would it be weird to only tint the side windows and not the back glass on a hatch?

My reason is I prefer to see as clearly as possible especially at night out the back and I figure with a semi dark tint on the sides it will make the back appear somewhat darker anyway.

What do you all think?
Sponsored

kperalta

AluminiumCivic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I think it would be weird. IMO best to tint all the windows except the front. I had a hatch tinted to 15% and the view at night was horrible. So perhaps stick to 30% all around?

Explaining a bit further it would have a lack of uniformity, and the back being untinted would be very.. Distinctive.

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I also think having the rear untinted would be weird. You'd be better off picking a moderate tint all around that you're comfortable with IMO.

kperalta

AluminiumCivic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
On thing you could do is just get brighter reverse lights like some people sell on here. If you're uncomfortable doing it yourself talk to your dealer and see if they have some form of upgrading it. If you mean more clear while driving just think about how often you really need more than a quick peek out the back window.

OP
OP
silverrascal

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
On thing you could do is just get brighter reverse lights like some people sell on here. If you're uncomfortable doing it yourself talk to your dealer and see if they have some form of upgrading it. If you mean more clear while driving just think about how often you really need more than a quick peek out the back window.
It's not just the brightness but the clarity through the glass is what concerns me. I know that tinting can cause some distortion but I'm sure that depends on the quality of the install as much as the tint itself.

kperalta

AluminiumCivic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
It's not just the brightness but the clarity through the glass is what concerns me. I know that tinting can cause some distortion but I'm sure that depends on the quality of the install as much as the tint itself.
Quality of the install, and quality of the tint yeah. 3M is the usual go to, I'd recommend doing some research on the shops in your area. Both my previous tint installs are flawless.

Yeet-n-Duner

First Name
j0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
hb ex
Country flag
i have the same concern as you did... 35% tint all around is not bad at all... i can see just fine.... and in texas it is state legal. anything below 35%, will give you a hard time seeing from the inside.

if you are in houston area... there's a shop i can recommend... they use 3m product. pricing is great also. cheapest by far. workmanship is on point. if not. it is lifetime covered.

so. 35% all around + reverse led light = win

justasimpleman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 PWP FC1 Si
Country flag
Like others have mentioned, just donā€™t go very dark...

And yes, it would look weird to not get it tinted, but itā€™s your car, so as you please.

airickmatthews

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 civic hatch sport
Country flag
The shop I went to couldnā€™t get the rear tinted but did the sides. Had me come back another day when their boss was in so he could take apart the rear and tint it properly. So I had mine untinted for a few days.... it looked weird, out of place, and unfinished. Just get it all done. You can still see out the back.

jayzon831

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic hatchback sport cvt, 2003 Acura RSX (totaled)
Country flag
I have 5% tint all around, and visibility isn't that bad. You get used to it. If you're still worried, go with a less darker tint.
Sponsored