Window Tinting - Is It Worth It?

Prelude2CivicX

First Name
Louie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T 6 Speed M/T, 2018 Honda Civic Si, 2018 Honda Accord Sport, 1997 Lexus SC300
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Window Tinting - Is It Worth It? 20170923_151300 Honda Civic 10th gen Window Tinting - Is It Worth It? 20170607_190401

A before and after of my EX-T sedan. I think it looks great with the tint although it came out darker than I expected!

Last edited:

Prelude2CivicX

First Name
Louie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T 6 Speed M/T, 2018 Honda Civic Si, 2018 Honda Accord Sport, 1997 Lexus SC300
Country flag
What percentage did you get?
See my previous post which is a little more detailed but I went with LLumar 35% all around. I personally think its too dark though. I would go with the lightest tint all around for a sleek not so dark look.

TheComebackKid

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 MSM Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
In Quebec it's been a while that the law is the same as the new Ontario law.
No tint on the windshield except for a 15cm strip on the top part, 70% light needs to enter for the front windows and no laws for the back windows and rear.
The windows on the Si are already 70% so any tint on the front makes it "illegal". I noticed this after I got the tint installed (car seller didn't know this but I should of checked) but I only put 88% in the front so I'm at 58% which is not really a noticeable difference and since the back windows are at 35% most cops will think the fronts are legal since they are way lighter than the back and rear.
Also in Quebec a lot of officers have a photometer that measures the light so it's hard to fight it.

TypeRDoc

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R
Evening all,

So, I feel like I am the only one that does not have tinted windows on my car (2017 1.5 CVT). I guess I am curious if there are any other souls out there that would prefer not to tint them. There are situations that I do wish I had them, like if I want to look at someone without being seen. But generally speaking those situations are few and far between. I am more concerned that I would not be able to see good at night and it's more of a magnet for people to think you are doing something illicit inside. Sure the ladies are all like "zomg your car would look so much better with tints" but I'm too geeky to attract them anyway o_O

So, anyone else out there also not a fan of tints for one reason or another?
I'm a huge fan of them. Didn't think i would be, considering I'm from Nj and I'm worried about tint tickets. Got my 2017 Type R in black in Aug 2017, tinted 38% front, 22% back three windows. Looks amazing. The front isn't too dark, can see in and out easy. Back is a bit darker but nice contrast. The tints look best on the white / black versions of the type R but i'm sure it would look on any ext. color.

TypeRDoc

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R
If I get the Accord, it's getting clear or at least 50% just to protect the interior and heat blocking.

I don't feel like getting into a fight with the same cop again, even though every local cop car is tinted.
If you're from PA, isn't it okay to have front window tinting? I thought PA was less restrictive. The winters are what are worrisome b/c you wont have windows down as much.

TypeRDoc

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R
Well, it used to be ok I guess. I see people all day with fronts done. I had 5 cars with full tint, even a CRV with 45% on the windshield and never got pulled over until my Civic last year.

If it wasn't for that one jackass on a Saturday, I'd still be fine. I had 15% on all windows and 5% strip on windshield.

I've drove by countless local and state police in PA and many other states without an issue.
Yeah, I hear ya bud. 15 is pretty dark though. I think it has to do with the town you're living in too. Some cops are just more difficult and want the money / bored. I did 38/22.

LeaveEarly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic HB LX HS
Problem is, they are scared of certain people, i.e. drug dealers, gangs, etc.

Not to stereotype, but that's what he told me. They can't see the driver/passengers.

When I mentioned cop cars being tinted, he said his department had to get them removed, which is total BS.

Check this picture out, pretty funny huh?

d3c05470527e8a379442f1f3b213ed1e.jpg
The front doesn't seem like it has tints. Back windows are tinted for privacy of detained probably. Not sure why he said he is getting it removed.

LeaveEarly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic HB LX HS
This isn't my cop but just to show reference. He said that because he didn't have anything to say to answer my question lol.

I see many cop cars with fronts tinted as well.
Yeah it seems that way, probably just a rookie they are people too I guess who make mistakes.

TypeRDoc

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R
Problem is, they are scared of certain people, i.e. drug dealers, gangs, etc.

Not to stereotype, but that's what he told me. They can't see the driver/passengers.

When I mentioned cop cars being tinted, he said his department had to get them removed, which is total BS.

Check this picture out, pretty funny huh?

d3c05470527e8a379442f1f3b213ed1e.jpg
It's common for cop cars to have tint. With the 38% in the front people can see inside pretty well. 15% is really dark, so if the cop can't see you he could pull you over. there is lighter than 38% too, can do in the 40s.

himecraig

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 Mercedes 320slk 08 Ford Ranger fx4 17 Acura RDX adv 17 Honda Civic Hatch ex-l ns
Country flag
That's the risk of getting them tinted! If you don't have the funds or don't want the trouble of getting pulled over for them, I wouldn't recommend getting them. Since I've been pulled over, I usually just roll my windows down during big streets/intersections.
For me it’s difficult to make any kind of eye contact when stoped at an intersection at the same time to see the other driver inside a dark tinted vehicle...you go no you go no aww hell I’ll go cuz I can’t see you

Swordfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
Tints are nice to cut out some of the heat and sunlight, but I never did my Civic. It may increase the likelihood or just an excuse for a ticket if you get pulled over. The reason why I did not do it is because it is hard to find a good tint place and it's not worth the headache for me. The last 3 cars I had tinted and different locations , one place cut up my glass on a car that was only 3 months old (prior car to the Civic), another cut the side molding, and the 3 left dirt. They will usually make excuses if they do a poor job, and very difficult if they damage your car. Someone I know got their porsche SUV damaged when the tinter used a heat gun on it.

Plus if you get a slop job, good luck taking it off. It takes a LONG time to properly remove the tint and you risk damaging the defroster grid at the back. One of the sloppy jobs, I just removed the tint myself, and it took close to 8 hrs carefully removing everything, no reside/damage.

New car, not worth it.....most places don't care about your car b/c it isn't there. Sorry but that's the truth.

hfpdohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hatch 2017 M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This isn't my cop but just to show reference. He said that because he didn't have anything to say to answer my question lol.

I see many cop cars with fronts tinted as well.
i see cops doing drugs etc....too....theres not perfect ;)

bembol

SHIFT_
First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 Sport Touring, 20 Audi Q3 Progressiv
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My Murano the back and rear are tinted 17%, it's the reason why I got 15% on the front so it matches.
Sponsored