Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe (sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
50% on windshield.
5% on fronts, backs, and rear.
Stock OEM tint on sunroof.

With all windows closed, and sunroof cover slid back, there is a illumination inside the car from above.
Open the sunroof, and leave the air conditioner on when you’re going for a nice ride out, and it’s cozy AF.
My exhaust drone, is pretty gentle when I drive casually, and my wife often falls asleep in the passenger seat, because it’s so damn nice.

Tint has the function of keeping your car cool, and cozy. At 5% levels it also acts as a privacy shield.

5% everywhere, and 50% on windshield reduces internal light just enough, that you can’t be seen through the windshield unless you move close to it.

So if a driver needs to see me, I simply need to motion my hand near the windshield, and tell them to go-ahead or whatever. They have been able to see, only my hand, just fine.

I wouldn’t recommend illegal tint for someone who lives out in the sticks though. The reasons it becomes illegal, becomes very obvious very quickly.
50% on windshield won’t bother you at all.
5% on fronts when you’re trying to make turns in total darkness…CAN be a problem.
Worst-case scenario? Turning on to a road in the pitch of night, and getting hit because someone was driving with their headlights off. And you had NO way of seeing them coming with no light, because your tint was too dark.

There are people that will drive with their lights off for whatever reason.

Most modern cars have automatic running lights, just from being in a drive gear, but don’t rely on that.
I was considering a very similar setup to this, 50% on windshield, 15% on doors and rear window, and 5% on quarters (I have a coupe). I have had a lot of people say that 50% isnt worth it on the windshield and that I should at least go 35% and some even told me not to go above 20%. This is my daily so I’m not going for blackout, but I am looking for just enough darkness so you won’t be able to see in the car at night if it’s parked outside or something. Would 50% windshield tint serve that purpose?
Sponsored

bcrichster

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Sport 2.0L, 1998 Civic LX D16-MiniMe
Country flag
I actually use a deep limo (20%??) Strip on windshield, not whole windshield because certain toll devices/stickers need stick to the actual windshield glass to function properly. (Just a thought). And many certain tints also reduce UV rays and you can drastically feel the difference on your arm when the tint only covers part of the skin an$ actual straight sunlight touches other part. Well worth it when done right

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I was considering a very similar setup to this, 50% on windshield, 15% on doors and rear window, and 5% on quarters (I have a coupe). I have had a lot of people say that 50% isnt worth it on the windshield and that I should at least go 35% and some even told me not to go above 20%. This is my daily so I’m not going for blackout, but I am looking for just enough darkness so you won’t be able to see in the car at night if it’s parked outside or something. Would 50% windshield tint serve that purpose?
Being in Illinois, I don't think it's legal to tint the windshield? I went with 5% rear and rear windows and 20% on the fronts. I have a coupe.

KOIVUN1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si CBP
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Being in Illinois, I don't think it's legal to tint the windshield? I went with 5% rear and rear windows and 20% on the fronts. I have a coupe.
it's not legal anywhere haha just don't go under 50 on the front and you'll be fine

jack.

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe (sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It’s also not legal to do anything under 35% on a non-suv so ?‍♂

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah I know. I just think if you tint the windshield it would be really noticeable. I also think in today's world, cops won't give a shit about giving a ticket for tint.

MLawrence

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si
Country flag
Yes.
I’m using 50% ceramic, and it cuts enough internal light in combination with the other tint, to give me privacy.

You can’t see the “Si” on the seats unless the Sun has an angle aiming right in through the windshield. And 50% enables you to see OUT very well even at night.

As for windshield stickers, I put a cut out for my inspection sticker, and I have a sign holder that I simply slide against the glass for parking permits, etc.

Honda Civic 10th gen Window Tinting - Is It Worth It? B260508E-D8FF-4179-B510-8099B86D4FF5

Honda Civic 10th gen Window Tinting - Is It Worth It? B6251281-E41E-4191-B754-5371FC18CDED

EDIT:

This is the amount of privacy of 5% ceramic tint. White vehicles and white building in background for comparison.

Honda Civic 10th gen Window Tinting - Is It Worth It? 6E25654C-533E-468C-9663-3402A559E803

This how 50% ceramic looks from the front, and all angles, with 5% everywhere else. And that’s with inspection sticker and sign holder.

Honda Civic 10th gen Window Tinting - Is It Worth It? 12390414-B51B-4519-9584-B42FD70862BD

This is 5% on the back with FULL sunlight beating on it. Interior is completely invisible.

Honda Civic 10th gen Window Tinting - Is It Worth It? 2AE4784D-F9D7-4491-B8AF-AB726976727B

And this is how 50% looks from the front with full sunlight beating on it. The Si on the seats only become visible with direct sunlight, or with someone directing a BRIGHT light directly through the windshield on you.

Honda Civic 10th gen Window Tinting - Is It Worth It? 277F8319-E290-45C6-AD8F-8A0EE8725B83

One last edit.
The following is 5%, 0% (door open), and 50% from inside. You’ll notice 50% doesn’t hinder visibility at all.

Honda Civic 10th gen Window Tinting - Is It Worth It? 1BC8EA41-0783-4408-938B-CD943D244FB6

Last edited:

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
In Ontario, we can only tint to 30% (allow 70% light transmision) in the 2 front windows and no limitation to the rear windows. No tinting is allowed in the windshield.
What I did was 50% all around. The installer did tell me that if I sell the car, I would have to remove the tint to pass vehicle inspection. I doubt if they would enforcep this.

bcrichster

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Sport 2.0L, 1998 Civic LX D16-MiniMe
Country flag
A tinted car is part of the pkg and comfort provided with the sale, it shouldn't be anyone's responsibility to remove anything from the vehicle without prior agreement to a sale.

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
A tinted car is part of the pkg and comfort provided with the sale, it shouldn't be anyone's responsibility to remove anything from the vehicle without prior agreement to a sale.
Yes, they do offer window tinting (very expensive) with the sales, they would certainly adhere to the local regulations.
Sponsored