Honda Convert
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
I just bought my 2017 Civic ST this past Tuesday. First thing I wanted was to get a good tint job. I live near O'Fallon, MO, and I found a place called The Tint Guy. He actually spent the $700 to by a hatch window from Honda. He uses it to pre mold the tint, so they can install one piece for the hatch, without taking anything apart.
Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Rallye Red Touring
Country flag
**UPDATE** The installers removed the back paneling and alas the wiper plug was disconnected. They also paid me for the missing screw and broken handle covers. They apologized and said they "learned" from my car on how to tint the hatches properly....:banghead:

It was a shop called Tint Masters in the Miami/Kendall area. I paid $129.99 for 3m tint but obviously they did a shit job...
As a fellow Miamian, I feel your pain. Luckily my Touring came tinted really nicely from Rick Case Honda off Sheridan. I have heard of that place you went to, never been but I will definitely steer people away from them. I personally have taken my other vehicles to Florida Sound & Protection in the Hialeah area. They have always done a good job. Sorry that happened to you

Brian1489

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda civic sedan Touring , 2013 Dodge Journey Crew
Vehicle Showcase
question I purchased my 2016 Sedan Touring and it has tinted windows, problem is I have noticed 2 of the defogger

Brian1489

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry guys hit the send by accident, my bad.
anyway ... the back window had 2 defoggers that are not working ... so does anyone know if this is a easy fix with a window that has been tinted?

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
My local, family-owned, 5-star tint installer who has been in business for decades won't tint a Civic hatchback for any price. I learned this when I had my new Si tinted last month - they hadn't seen an Si yet and asked if it was a hatchback. I told them it was a sedan and asked what difference it made. That's when they told me the hatchback required significant disassembly in order to tint properly.

the back window had 2 defoggers that are not working ... so does anyone know if this is a easy fix with a window that has been tinted?
In theory, the tint can be cut where the break in the wire is and repaired using a conductive paint. In practice, this is next to impossible because there's no way to locate the break if it's covered in tint.

Your options:

1) Live with it.

2) Have the tint removed, locate and repair the broken wire, then re-tint. Be warned that removing the tint may cause even more damage that must be repaired!

Last edited:

lopperman

Honda Convert
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
My local, family-owned, 5-star tint installer who has been in business for decades won't tint a Civic hatchback for any price. I learned this when I had my new Si tinted last month - they hadn't seen an Si yet and asked if it was a hatchback. I told them it was a sedan and asked what difference it made. That's when they told me the hatchback required significant disassembly in order to tint properly.

In theory, the tint can be cut where the break in the wire is and repaired using a conductive paint. In practice, this is next to impossible because there's no way to locate the break if it's covered in tint.

Your options:

1) Live with it.

2) Have the tint removed, locate and repair the broken wire, then re-tint. Be warned that removing the tint may cause even more damage that must be repaired!

See my previous post. The place that tinted mine purchased the hatchback window from Honda, so they can pre-mold and install in one piece without having to take things apart.

Brian1489

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Your options:

1) Live with it.

Thanks so much for this information, I had figured in my mind that this would be the case.... was hopeful that it would not be. OPTION 1 it will be.... lol plus the ones that are not working are in the lower section of the window.
I kind of figured that option 2 could cause more damage then good when it comes down to it.
As the car came tinted I wonder if they cut or damaged the window defoggers when installing the tint... one will never know so I'm just going to move on.. plus I tend not drive out the back window. LOL

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
As the car came tinted I wonder if they cut or damaged the window defoggers when installing the tint...
In that case, take it back to the selling dealer. Since they installed or had the tint installed, they should be responsible for doing whatever is necessary to correct the problem - even if that includes installing a new rear window and re-tinting it at their expense.

Rone811

First Name
Rone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I just read to the part where you said 4 out of 5. hahah
Hey but I been there and done that so much so that I backed out of putting tint on my new Si.
What a nightmare glad you got your money back.

Brian1489

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
In that case, take it back to the selling dealer. Since they installed or had the tint installed, they should be responsible for doing whatever is necessary to correct the problem - even if that includes installing a new rear window and re-tinting it at their expense.
I guess I may have forgot to say I will be looking into that option as I had just bought the car. It was a used car purchase but they did do there Honda Certified inspection so I will be looking into it. Unsure if they had done the tint for the previous owner or if the owner had done it. None the less I am hopful they will come good as they sold it to me with the tint.
Sponsored