WINDOW TINTERS MESSED MY CAR UP

surge83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Crystal Black Pearl Civic Hatchback EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
SO I took my 2 week-old hatch in last week for tints. I saw many people on the forum get tints, and I also saw how some installers were having trouble with the spoiler. I did some research and found a well-reviewed tint shop (4 out of 5) and stopped by. The guy at the counter is excited that i have a hatch because "its the first one we get and we wanted to see how to do it" Great...anyway they move on to the install and give me a call about 2 hours later to pick up. When I arrive, the guy at the counter tells me how the installer were arguing trying to "figure my car out, and it was funny cause guys of 20yrs experience were disagreeing" I do my normal walk around and everything looks great, open the back door and cant see anything wrong, mind you it was 6-7pm when i picked it up so it was already dark. Fast forward, two days ago im driving in the rain and I want to turn on my rear wiper (for the first time!) and nada. Wiper is busted. I got a good look at the back yesterday and the two handle cover for the interior back door were put on the opposite sides with clips on each side broken, I pull off the handle cover and realize there is a #10 screw missing from inside one of the handles. Also, the plastic surrounding the inside of the rear window is loose and not clicked in. Not only did these guys not know what they were doing with my car, they had no clue how to reassemble it, broke clips and somehow busted my wiper. I am hoping its just disconnected. I am going back to the tint shop today. I will post pics and follow-up. Just wanted to give everyone a heads up and make sure you don't make the same mistake. MAKE SURE YOUR TINT GUYS KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING.
Sponsored

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Your mistake is trusting a 4/5 star shop to begin with.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
SO I took my 2 week-old hatch in last week for tints. I saw many people on the forum get tints, and I also saw how some installers were having trouble with the spoiler. I did some research and found a well-reviewed tint shop (4 out of 5) and stopped by. The guy at the counter is excited that i have a hatch because "its the first one we get and we wanted to see how to do it" Great...anyway they move on to the install and give me a call about 2 hours later to pick up. When I arrive, the guy at the counter tells me how the installer were arguing trying to "figure my car out, and it was funny cause guys of 20yrs experience were disagreeing" I do my normal walk around and everything looks great, open the back door and cant see anything wrong, mind you it was 6-7pm when i picked it up so it was already dark. Fast forward, two days ago im driving in the rain and I want to turn on my rear wiper (for the first time!) and nada. Wiper is busted. I got a good look at the back yesterday and the two handle cover for the interior back door were put on the opposite sides with clips on each side broken, I pull off the handle cover and realize there is a #10 screw missing from inside one of the handles. Also, the plastic surrounding the inside of the rear window is loose and not clicked in. Not only did these guys not know what they were doing with my car, they had no clue how to reassemble it, broke clips and somehow busted my wiper. I am hoping its just disconnected. I am going back to the tint shop today. I will post pics and follow-up. Just wanted to give everyone a heads up and make sure you don't make the same mistake. MAKE SURE YOUR TINT GUYS KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING.
Dang, that's rough. Hopefully they will take care of it for you.

bembol

SHIFT_
First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 Sport Touring, 20 Audi Q3 Progressiv
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This is why I paid what I did.

I got ripped for paying $400 CAN for my Ceramics but I hate the idea of having to go back or worst what happened to OP.

Others said the shop that did theirs didn't take panels or the hatch/spoiler off. They just tucked it in.

ShuJam

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Touring Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I paid $400 CAN for mine too, and yes they did take the spoiler off the hatch. But I wouldn't have gone to any other place than where I went. I took it to the same shop that tinted my last 2 cars, my sister's car, have been in business for almost 30 years (with the same owners), and does tint installs and rust proofing for several dealerships in the area, including 2 Honda dealerships. So they've done their share of Civic hatches.

Swordfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
I'd probably look at your car very carefully in broad daylight. If they messed up the assembly, they possibly messed up something else. I'd look at your exterior molding and glass to see if they have been cut or scratched.

tenshiro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring 6MT, 2014 Mitsubishi RVR LE, 2018 Civic Type R #14978
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I paid $400 CAN for mine too, and yes they did take the spoiler off the hatch. But I wouldn't have gone to any other place than where I went. I took it to the same shop that tinted my last 2 cars, my sister's car, have been in business for almost 30 years (with the same owners), and does tint installs and rust proofing for several dealerships in the area, including 2 Honda dealerships. So they've done their share of Civic hatches.
Which shop in TO did you get yours tinted at? I was planning on going to Auto-Links to get their FORMULAONE tint which is also $400 CAD.

Synomenon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 EX Hatch
Country flag
Not a fan of dark tint, but wanted the 99.9% UV blocking and heat rejection. My tint is Llumar CTX 40% on the four side doors and Llumar Air80 on the entire windshield, sunroof and hatch window.

Last edited:

cypress

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@surge83 I just saw you were in Miami, I would be interested to know who it was in the end. I live in Palm Beach. I paid $200 for mine and they did a really good job.

OP
OP
surge83

surge83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Crystal Black Pearl Civic Hatchback EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
**UPDATE** The installers removed the back paneling and alas the wiper plug was disconnected. They also paid me for the missing screw and broken handle covers. They apologized and said they "learned" from my car on how to tint the hatches properly....:banghead:

@surge83 I just saw you were in Miami, I would be interested to know who it was in the end. I live in Palm Beach. I paid $200 for mine and they did a really good job.
It was a shop called Tint Masters in the Miami/Kendall area. I paid $129.99 for 3m tint but obviously they did a shit job...

cypress

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks for the info. Looks like they lost a customer for life in you. Their failure to disclose that information is a big No no.

dragynslayer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport w/ HS
Country flag
This is why I paid what I did.

I got ripped for paying $400 CAN for my Ceramics but I hate the idea of having to go back or worst what happened to OP.

Others said the shop that did theirs didn't take panels or the hatch/spoiler off. They just tucked it in.
i also paid $400 which included removing the spoiler and a small discount since its my 3rd car i have taken there. I asked if they did the hatch before (the guy actually told me that they had to remove it) and he said their shop did over 20. When I when in to drop off my car, low and behold, they were driving out a hatch (same colour) which just had their tint done! so far had the tint for over a month and no problems. That was a worry of mine, so i tested the rear wiper and looked at the hatch closely. so far so good