Will Type R wheels and tires fit on Hatchback?

nrchaytor

First Name
Nigel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback 6M
Country flag
They fit, no rubbing issues what so ever on 19mm adapters.

There's actually plenty of room from the Tire to the Fender.

20180421_021938.jpg
20180420_203944.jpg
20180504_161024.jpg
Did you have to trim vehicle studs at all to get the wheels to mount flush with the 19mm adapters?
Sponsored

Last edited:

nrchaytor

First Name
Nigel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Bolt pattern is different
Wheel adapters can be used to change bolt pattern, that's been the main topic of this discussion.. the main concern is which adapters to go with as there are many different sizes and specs available

disgraced.fk8

IG: @break_ya_neck_fk7
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Wheel adapters can be used to change bolt pattern, that's been the main topic of this discussion.. the main concern is which adapters to go with as there are many different sizes and specs available
Ah my bad. I just slapped a reply in here without reading the whole thread because I had to run but I knew for sure the bolt pattern is different!

I would just grab some 18's or 19's that look like the type R rims... They have a few out there. Personally, I don't like the idea of the force transferring from one set of studs to the other, doesn't seem like something that will hold up for a long time with potholes and stuff. I'm not sure how these work, but I would imagine your bolt shoulder sits up against the hub meaning you have half the length of bolt plus the hub provides support that you lose out on. But that could be an invalid concern.

I'm doing my Sport Touring to look similar to the R as I love the R, but also not trying to just take OEM and do weird retrofits like this or how you have to dremel out parts of the OEM front lip. So I'm going to get these in gunmetal instead of the R wheels:

https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whe...lModel=Vulcan&wheelFinish=Gloss+Black+Painted

Honda Civic 10th gen Will Type R wheels and tires fit on Hatchback? vulca

nrchaytor

First Name
Nigel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Ah my bad. I just slapped a reply in here without reading the whole thread because I had to run but I knew for sure the bolt pattern is different!

I would just grab some 18's or 19's that look like the type R rims... They have a few out there. Personally, I don't like the idea of the force transferring from one set of studs to the other, doesn't seem like something that will hold up for a long time with potholes and stuff. I'm not sure how these work, but I would imagine your bolt shoulder sits up against the hub meaning you have half the length of bolt plus the hub provides support that you lose out on. But that could be an invalid concern.

I'm doing my Sport Touring to look similar to the R as I love the R, but also not trying to just take OEM and do weird retrofits like this or how you have to dremel out parts of the OEM front lip. So I'm going to get these in gunmetal instead of the R wheels:

https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whe...lModel=Vulcan&wheelFinish=Gloss+Black+Painted

vulcan.png
Those wheels look good! Regarding the wheel adapters, as long as they are "hub centric" and installed properly, I am told they should be very safe and durable. As for the potholes, I suspect the Type R wheels will bend before I have any issues with the adapters

MoTeC R

Slow For Show
First Name
Smally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 S2000 Roadster, 2019 Civic Type R, 2020 Supra
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Doesn’t look bad guys, Wheels look a hair big to me without the fender flares of the R on your cars (That and the Type R is a 3-4” wider car mirror to mirror, but I’d still say it’s an improvement if you don’t have the type R. I am on 30MM and wonder how much more tire I can fit on the 20” with no issues and why I don’t lower it so I can add more rubber. I refuse to go aftermarket wheels, the stock wheel is the look the Type R commands. I am going to buy a set of the 2021 Phoenix Yellow LE Rays wheels even tho they are very similar looking I have a connection to get them thru Honda and they are going to be a rare wheel for any Type R with only 800 worldwide produced vehicles.

Honda Civic 10th gen Will Type R wheels and tires fit on Hatchback? 95B13DC4-76E4-46E4-ACEE-107F94E5BCBA

Last edited:

mike_1924

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Are you lowered? Any rubbing issues?
yep. Eibach sportlines. I was worried it would rub or not have enough clearance so i went with the 20mm adapter instead of 25mm. But nothing.. no issues at all... other than it feels and handles diff.
I just mounted them monday so nothing is open to check alignment/balance if only to be on the safe side.
Ive been pretty much been looking at it parked for last few days. They fill the wells almost completely but dont feel oversized to me. Either way I’m still holding on to my 18’s.

Honda Civic 10th gen Will Type R wheels and tires fit on Hatchback? B2F5885F-C64A-45F7-AF14-D7B9470F7501

Honda Civic 10th gen Will Type R wheels and tires fit on Hatchback? 0B8D7A54-C3CB-415E-BE15-3F08D0007817

Honda Civic 10th gen Will Type R wheels and tires fit on Hatchback? 22BDC0FB-10B7-4E3A-8DEE-64DB380302CF

Honda Civic 10th gen Will Type R wheels and tires fit on Hatchback? 7EB52345-F6DA-4E2F-9EA1-37EB67F31637

Honda Civic 10th gen Will Type R wheels and tires fit on Hatchback? 91765780-A12A-4746-A135-70A67765C8F3

nrchaytor

First Name
Nigel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
yep. Eibach sportlines. I was worried it would rub or not have enough clearance so i went with the 20mm adapter instead of 25mm. But nothing.. no issues at all... other than it feels and handles diff.
I just mounted them monday so nothing is open to check alignment/balance if only to be on the safe side.
Ive been pretty much been looking at it parked for last few days. They fill the wells almost completely but dont feel oversized to me. Either way I’m still holding on to my 18’s.

B2F5885F-C64A-45F7-AF14-D7B9470F7501.jpeg

0B8D7A54-C3CB-415E-BE15-3F08D0007817.jpeg

22BDC0FB-10B7-4E3A-8DEE-64DB380302CF.jpeg

7EB52345-F6DA-4E2F-9EA1-37EB67F31637.jpeg

91765780-A12A-4746-A135-70A67765C8F3.jpeg
Did you have to trim the studs at all? Some others have mentioned trimming the rear studs was required with 19mm adapters

MoTeC R

Slow For Show
First Name
Smally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 S2000 Roadster, 2019 Civic Type R, 2020 Supra
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

B2F5885F-C64A-45F7-AF14-D7B9470F7501.jpeg

0B8D7A54-C3CB-415E-BE15-3F08D0007817.jpeg

22BDC0FB-10B7-4E3A-8DEE-64DB380302CF.jpeg

7EB52345-F6DA-4E2F-9EA1-37EB67F31637.jpeg

91765780-A12A-4746-A135-70A67765C8F3.jpeg
Looks good,

As I've said I can lower with the 30MM but I don't want to harden the ride. The wider the wheel base the better (stance) which give you a firmer steer and better turning due to the wider stance. The only issue that can be caused with wheel spacers especially ones not designed for high performance cars, is it can cause long term wear on your suspension, just like any mod pushing more power or strain on anything can cause more wear more quickly than originally designed (but it may not, just possible depending on what extreme you are pushing the limits). Otherwise the wider your stance the more beneficial it is to the drive-ability of your car. My car rides better and handles better with the spacers on than without 100%. To effect my girlfriend noticed it seemed like it was driving and riding different and had no idea that I had even added spacers nor knew what they do if I would have told her. So this is a very noticeable mod the wider your stance is.

What are the best springs to maintain a soft ride with a lowered stance? I will likely be adding an underbody kit and not sure the lowering will be needed but I would like some opinions of other with Type R owners with spacers/lowered on what they feel their setup changes felt were after lowering and what MM spacer they are running. I am considering going to a 20x10 or wider depending on the offset limits on these particular wheels I have in mind (I need to look at the table on the wheels I am considering) [Forged] so I can consider all options, if I drop the money going with larger wheels the weight reduction from the forged wheel will offset the tire weight. Wider will likely be the direction I head with A Mugen underbody kit and the larger OEM stylized forged wheels will benefit far more than the lowering springs. However, I am not sure I want to drop $5k on wheels alone and haven't even priced tires for them yet I'm assuming at least another $2500. If the pandemic weren't in the current chaos it is I would be more apt to drop the money without a thought.

I just know that even if only a 20x10 will provide much more rubber on the road I need at this point with my existing mods and once my warranty goes I'm going all out on the engine build so it will require the larger wheels or the addition of the electric motors which add 100+ HP as a bolt on, I'm just not overly fond of the electric sound from the 2 electric bolt on hub ring motors, I could tolerate it and I think some models will allow turning them on or off as desired.

Sorry for the long winded post but I'd like some input from someone else that has gone with wider wheels (I'm never going to put 18"s on the car) 20" stays. And Spacers with lowering and ride quality from different options available. thanks
Sponsored