Will the tire shop give me any hassles if I ask them to install tires/wheels that are not preferred in their system?

MrTuckers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Type R, 08 CRV, 06 Oddy, 14 Accord 9th Gen V6
Country flag
Hi all- I am in the process of selecting a tire/wheel combo to swap-out my OEM wheels and tires set. I've decided to go with the following setup:

255/40/18
Gram Lights 57DR- Gunmetal Blue II

I went to my favorite America's Tire online store hoping to buy a set of Michellin Pilot Sport 4S but their stupid system is denying me purchase when I choose Honda Civic Type R. At checkout, it forces you to enter a valid vehicle. When I choose the Type R, it says the tire size is not preferrable.

I know this is probably a safety thing even though it's been proven that these tires fit with no issues at all.

Is there a way to get around this? Also, if I buy the tires from someplace else (like Tirerack.com), will America's Tires give me any hassle if I just pay them to install it? Tirerack.com at checkout gives you an option to purchase tires without having to enter vehicle information.

Tirerack.com has some preferred installation shops where I can take my vehicle to, but I'd rather work with America's Tires than any other shop.

Thanks for any recommendations!
Sponsored

kimtyson

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Blue Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I doubt they will refuse to take your money but just call them and explain. They can tell you in 3 minutes.

MarshX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hi all- I am in the process of selecting a tire/wheel combo to swap-out my OEM wheels and tires set. I've decided to go with the following setup:

255/40/18
Gram Lights 57DR- Gunmetal Blue II

I went to my favorite America's Tire online store hoping to buy a set of Michellin Pilot Sport 4S but their stupid system is denying me purchase when I choose Honda Civic Type R. At checkout, it forces you to enter a valid vehicle. When I choose the Type R, it says the tire size is not preferrable.

I know this is probably a safety thing even though it's been proven that these tires fit with no issues at all.

Is there a way to get around this? Also, if I buy the tires from someplace else (like Tirerack.com), will America's Tires give me any hassle if I just pay them to install it? Tirerack.com at checkout gives you an option to purchase tires without having to enter vehicle information.

Tirerack.com has some preferred installation shops where I can take my vehicle to, but I'd rather work with America's Tires than any other shop.

Thanks for any recommendations!
I bought my rims from DiscountTireDirect & tires from Amazon and took them to my nearest America’s Tire to have it all installed. When I went to set up an appointment online, per my specific vehicle trim (EX-T sedan), the wheels I had bought where not an option (18x8.5 + 235/40/18) so I just made an appointment for myself by submitting the correct new wheel configuration and also selecting the SI model so that the system would accept my wheel setup and I’d be set for an install. So I guess it did kind of make me chose a valid vehicle but I’m sure either way if you call ahead, they won’t hesitate to make arrangements as long as it’s nothing crazy.

dwag0588

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2006 NC Miata, 2018 Silverado 5.3 (work)
Country flag
I got my autocross tires installed at discount tire. I had to call them to place the order. Their website wouldn’t allow an order with a non oem wheel diameter. Kinda dumb. I get it though. A lot of morons would probably just order smaller tires because they are cheaper without thinking about fitment.

arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Pretty much any tire shop will mount & balance aftermarket wheels and tires for you. They'll just charge you their standard fee and add disposal fees and all that BS. Some charge extra for mounting smaller than 40 series sidewall tires. A lot of people buy tires online, so most shops won't turn down the business.

san44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR CW
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I went in person (pre covid) to my local Americas Tire and ordered those same tire dimensions without a problem. I told the them I will be bringing in aftermarket wheels (Rays 57CR) for them to balance and mount. The tires got delivered to the store and I scheduled the install. This was at America’s Tire in Long Beach, California where I had a good experience. The salesmen/techs there were car enthusiasts as well and made sure my tires/wheels were installed flawlessly, no nicks or scratches pre and post install. That’s the end of my Yelp review lol

Honda Civic 10th gen Will the tire shop give me any hassles if I ask them to install tires/wheels that are not preferred in their system? 9F4D6D5A-E3DF-4CD8-8572-A7E230037BFB

OP
OP
MrTuckers

MrTuckers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I went in person (pre covid) to my local Americas Tire and ordered those same tire dimensions without a problem. I told the them I will be bringing in aftermarket wheels (Rays 57CR) for them to balance and mount. The tires got delivered to the store and I scheduled the install. This was at America’s Tire in Long Beach, California where I had a good experience. The salesmen/techs there were car enthusiasts as well and made sure my tires/wheels were installed flawlessly, no nicks or scratches pre and post install. That’s the end of my Yelp review lol

9F4D6D5A-E3DF-4CD8-8572-A7E230037BFB.jpeg
Wow nice blues! I was thinking of going with this color but I thought it would have been too strong of a blue for my SGP. Looks great on your CW. ?

I've been a loyal customer over America's tire for more than 15 years already so I wouldn't go anywhere else to have my tires mounted and balanced. Every time I take my cars there everybody there is upbeat, happy and motivated. Have never had a bad experience there at all if ever. I know the turnover rate there seems high and it's probably a temporary job for some but every time they have a crew they're always in good spirits whether or not it's the same people you work with in the past. That's why I trust them over and over again and I think too that most of them are also car enthusiasts so I think they'd feel honored to have the opportunity to mount a nice set of wheels on a Type R as it probably doesn't happen very often.

Thanks everyone for spending the time and giving me some feedback as to what I need to do.

Last edited:

gaara46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CTR, 4runner
Country flag

9F4D6D5A-E3DF-4CD8-8572-A7E230037BFB.jpeg
is that stock suspension? and what size tire?

how u likin the setup? car looks good!

san44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR CW
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
is that stock suspension? and what size tire?

how u likin the setup? car looks good!
Stock suspension with 255/40/18 Falken Azenis FK510 and Rays 57CR 18x9.5 +38

I like it a lot. The sidewall is tall enough to fill in the wheel gap a bit. No plans as of now to lower it. Tires are great and I would say they are comparable to Michelin PS4S which I had previously but are much more expensive.

OP
OP
MrTuckers

MrTuckers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

I like it a lot. The sidewall is tall enough to fill in the wheel gap a bit. No plans as of now to lower it. Tires are great and I would say they are comparable to Michelin PS4S which I had previously but are much more expensive.
I got a response back from Matt, our Discount Tires rep here on CivicX Forums. He must have caught my post and messaged me right away.

Man, I had no idea Discount Tires were on our list of sponsors and Matt was very responsive to my questions. Glad to have these guys represent us here on CivicX. Any vendor that's responsive to any of our questions are worth doing business with because they have our thoughts and questions well taken care of.

gaara46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CTR, 4runner
Country flag

cool. yea that 40 series looks perfect. im not even sure i want new wheels, but after seeing your car its tempting haha. also, kinda dumb question...but did u (or should u?) get an alignment after putting the wheels on? wondering mainly cuz of the offset.

san44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR CW
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
cool. yea that 40 series looks perfect. im not even sure i want new wheels, but after seeing your car its tempting haha. also, kinda dumb question...but did u (or should u?) get an alignment after putting the wheels on? wondering mainly cuz of the offset.
No you shouldn’t need to get an alignment unless you already have uneven wear. Only suspension or height changes require one. The tire size difference from OEM isn’t significant enough for an alignment.
Sponsored