Will the higher 2020 CTR MSRP impact the 17'-19 resale value in a few years?

Neciovato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 370z Nismo
Country flag
As for being $40k or more - I would be surprised - eventually a car will price itself out of it's segment. Look at the GolfR - for custom colors - some dealers were charging $45k for them and there is a reason why they still sit on the lot. I feel eventually this car will hit over $40k and at that point - shoppers will cross shop used cars that are a much higher starting point than this car (or any car that continues to climb in price) and these cars will be able to be had for under MSRP. Just my .02 but when you can get a slightly used GT350 for mid 40s - it kinda opens up things for debate.
Sponsored

alvav

First Name
Leonidas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2019 Acura NSX
I don't see an MSRP of $40 being a problem as a good majority of Type R's were actually purchased for at least that (with the ADM). As long as dealers stay at MSRP...

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
As for being $40k or more - I would be surprised - eventually a car will price itself out of it's segment. Look at the GolfR - for custom colors - some dealers were charging $45k for them and there is a reason why they still sit on the lot. I feel eventually this car will hit over $40k and at that point - shoppers will cross shop used cars that are a much higher starting point than this car (or any car that continues to climb in price) and these cars will be able to be had for under MSRP. Just my .02 but when you can get a slightly used GT350 for mid 40s - it kinda opens up things for debate.
The price has gone up each successive year from it's original 34K, and that was with practically no changes. With Sensing being added, it has to add at least like $1500 to the MSRP, which would put it in $39K before taxes and title. But I agree, at a certain price point it will open up some cross shopping options.

MoTeC R

Slow For Show
First Name
Smally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 S2000 Roadster, 2019 Civic Type R, 2020 Supra
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The CTR is a unique vehicle like the GT-R (niche) if you will a certain buyers market. The full refresh will be a hybrid or no longer made, IMO I don't see it releasing as a hybrid for under 50k in 2025-2026 when the full refresh happens. Inflation alone YOY will push it as as is without any substantial changes. No car is an investment unless your planning to keep it in in the garage with low miles and showroom floor condition. I would expect a retune in the coming year or so to bump power a bit but were already doing it, they have to do it with concern with overall EPA in mind where we do not.

BrandonCTRWV

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R-2003 VW Jetta GLI VR6
Country flag
You live in WV. Hillbillies don't want CTRs; yuppies in DFW do.

That's why you got one
You live in WV. Hillbillies don't want CTRs; yuppies in DFW do.

That's why you got one at sticker.
Well, sounds like us “hillbillies” are better off than you worthless yuppies to me.

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
I look at the early ISF vs. the last few years of the ISF. Yes, it will merely by the additions and improvements. Just look at the values of a 2008 ISF vs. 2011 which I believe is the last year they tweaked anything.

2008 ISF MSRP was 58k. 2011 ISF MSRP was $61k.

aldo

Banned
Banned
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
The GTR being a higher performance car is irrelevant to why it was brought up. The Type R is as different from your Si as a Mustang GT350R is from an Ecoboost. Dealerships here in Texas still charge 10k ADM as well and people buy it.
If Texas dealers can get $10K ADM and buyers are rich enough to pay it, god bless them, but the fact remains here in the Midwest they can be had for sticker and below sticker all day long. GTR’s don’t depreciate that much over the years because they are supercars, a Type R is not a supercar, it’s a civic. Please don’t compare any aspect.

BryanCO

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP CTR, 2007 GT3, 1993 Miata
Country flag
If Texas dealers can get $10K ADM and buyers are rich enough to pay it, god bless them, but the fact remains here in the Midwest they can be had for sticker and below sticker all day long. GTR’s don’t depreciate that much over the years because they are supercars, a Type R is not a supercar, it’s a civic. Please don’t compare any aspect.
Agree. The GTR just isn’t as fun to drive as the CTR.

Is that what you mean by don’t compare any aspect?

aldo

Banned
Banned
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Agree. The GTR just isn’t as fun to drive as the CTR.

Is that what you mean by don’t compare any aspect?
Gimme sum of that stuff you’re smoking

Iilac

Spelled with a I not a L for Iilac.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S2000, CTR, TUNDRA, MAXIMA, CX9
Country flag
Gimme sum of that stuff you’re smoking
Just reading your responses in this thread gives off a jealous vibe from not owning a CTR.....:bonk:. If you can stop being so dense, you will realize that I brought up the GTR only on their annual rising MSRP history and provide some context on possible scenarios that can happen to the used prices of the CTR which is the topic of this thread. This is not a performance comparison of the 2 vehicles.

aldo

Banned
Banned
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
No not jealous of Type R get off your high horse, I’m saying don’t compare appreciation, depreciation of a Type R to a super car like the GTR, there is no comparison whatsoever hammerhead.

Iilac

Spelled with a I not a L for Iilac.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S2000, CTR, TUNDRA, MAXIMA, CX9
Country flag
No not jealous of Type R get off your high horse, I’m saying don’t compare appreciation, depreciation of a Type R to a super car like the GTR, there is no comparison whatsoever hammerhead.

Supercar or not. The CTR is still a desirable vehicle and with people paying ADM in the first couple of years makes it a fact that there is a demand for this vehicle even if it is not a supercar which will result with similar deprecation/appreciation calculation factors. Therefore, with two desirable cars with similar MSRP increases over it's lifetime and taken into the supply with more CTR produced vs the GTR produced over a longer life term,, we can deduce that there is a correlation between the resale values. Now, let's see what you have to offer as a response/reasoning instead of childish name calling.

aldo

Banned
Banned
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
The 2020 Honda Civic Type R Gets Another Price Bump To $37,230